BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Kayak fishing- what areas up to Bahia de Los Angeles do you recommend
JoelovesBaja

[*] posted on 9-24-2013 at 09:09 PM
Kayak fishing- what areas up to Bahia de Los Angeles do you recommend

Hi,
I'm a beginner with my Kayak. I would like to do some weekend trips to Baja and fish using my Kayak. Areas from San Felpe upto Bahia de Los Angeles.

Can you guys recommend areas and any other pointers

Thanks
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 04:39 AM

Welcome JLB (hope that abbreviation is ok...) We take our tandem kayak to Gonzaga Bay a couple of hours south of San Felipe. All paved road now so should be a good beginners adventure. We stay at Papa Fernandez's for $5 a day in a rustic camp (rustic in outhouses) right on the waters edge of a good and easy launch beach, wind protected pretty much, with plenty of catchable fish close in for short paddles. Papa's has a website with cam and weather reports for your viewing.
We have also taken the kayak to BOLA but the wind is a little less protected there and can limit water time for us kayak people. But BOLA is a beautiful place and has plenty of places to camp/launch as well as an abundance of provisions/gas. Also all accessible by paved road from the north.
Others here can tell you of the unpaved portions if you decide to go to BOLA via Gonzaga.
Enjoy!!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 05:58 AM

That whole section is awesome. Now that the road is better, you can explore the whole area. But in Baja to go from San Felipe to BOLA is considered down.

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 06:12 AM

Gonzaga Bay...further south at either Rancho Grande or Campo Beluga...all the way south at Punta Final has several coves to explore as well...googlemaps will show you a lot
our 1st trips were in a tandem kayak and we loved it...then 12 ft Valco...then 185 Wellcraft.....yeah I know
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 09:00 AM

A good spot in Bahia de los Angeles would be around La Gringa. Along the shoreline the the south you'll find bass and it is somewhat protected from the north wind. To the north are points, cliffs and coves with more large rock structure and you can add triggers into the mix.

As a beginning kayaker you do not want to stray far from shore. A calm morning can turn windy in an instant. Prevailing winds are N/NE and they will eventually blow you to shore somewhere to the south, but occasional west winds will kick up and blow hard. Depending on where you are at on the water you would end up on an island or on the mainland. The crossing from La Gringa to Isla Smith is not very far but current can be wicked. Tide tables and an understanding of current directions are necessary.

I catch enough fish to stay happy and rarely am more the 100 yds from shore. I used to go to the islands with a favorable wind forecast but the fishing really isn't much better.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 11:35 AM

You might also consider bay Las Animas just south of BOLA. The graded dirt road will take you there. Camp on the north side and you won't get much wind. Further south, Calle San Francisquito would be good but it's a long drive on dirt roads.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 02:46 PM

Calamajue. grouper/yt/corvina/wsb. Steep pebble launch but no swell. Big cement palapa for $5 a night.
JoelovesBaja

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. Now in need to pull out a map and start planning a trip. My intention is to go out there last week of October.

Now that you speak of winds, are the winds coming from the west the one I new to watch out for? And is looking out at weather.com for winds forecast enough?

Thank you
JLB
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 07:40 PM

you should fear that west wind. use sailflow.com for fairly acurrate wind events. they are not kidding about the wind!!! be careful until you are less of a beginner. and then be careful more!

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2013 at 09:53 AM

http://www.sailflow.com/spot/102162#forecast

for Bahia de los Angeles. You can navigate to other areas. Might not want to be on the water today, but Sun/Mon look real nice. Accuracy diminishes beyond a few days so don't put too much stock in a 10-day forecast when planning a trip. Get an update when you get to a location. Short-term wind and cloud forecasts are reasonably accurate, temps not so much.
JoelovesBaja

[*] posted on 9-27-2013 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend

for Bahia de los Angeles. You can navigate to other areas. Might not want to be on the water today, but Sun/Mon look real nice. Accuracy diminishes beyond a few days so don't put too much stock in a 10-day forecast when planning a trip. Get an update when you get to a location. Short-term wind and cloud forecasts are reasonably accurate, temps not so much.

Thank you BKbend.,
On website, does the arrows mean where the wind is blowing towards to? And coming from? For example, if arrow is pointing to the right, does that mean that the wind is wind is coming from the West and blowing towards the east? They advised me to be carefull of West winds.

JLB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2013 at 09:05 AM

If the arrow points from left to right the wind blows from left to right.
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2013 at 11:53 AM

Take a friend. Let someone know your plans. Carry water. ALL STANDARD for Baja!
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2013 at 02:37 PM

Dont go out alone. Always wear a PFD while fishing from your Kayak. Untlil you have some experiance kayak fishing in the ocean try fishing out of or in a harbor or bay where there will be people around.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2013 at 02:54 PM

Paddle leash... my paddle leash became unclipped somehow? while fishing and I lost my paddle. I found it 2 days later a mile down the beach.
JoelovesBaja

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend

JoelovesBaja

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 08:34 AM

Please ignore last post from me
JLB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 10:04 AM

You can edit or delete anything you post... Just click the edit button along side your post.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Calamajue. grouper/yt/corvina/wsb. Steep pebble launch but no swell. Big cement palapa for $5 a night.
big cement palapa for rent? this is the only palapa out there as of this april! has something changed?:?:

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
big cement palapa for rent? this is the only palapa out there as of this april! has something changed?:?:]]

ya that's the one though it was new when i was there, what's the problem?
it's calamajue. yakers aren't pansies. glad you didn't take a foto of the bano:cool:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.