Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mex 2 and 15
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 11:01 PM
Mex 2 and 15

While not really on the Baja Peninsula, I think it probably is of interest to Baja travelers as they might decide to explore more of Mexico.

The 5th of Nov, we headed out from San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora to Mazatlan Sinaloa Mexico. Mex 2 is in good shape - a 2 lane highway with only a short area rough from filled in potholes, no areas of potholes. They are resurfacing it in several places. From Altar to Santa Anna they are building an additional 2 lanes - when they will open ????

Hghy 5 is in great shape. As good as any highway. 4 lane divided most of the way except in a couple of the cities you pass thru. There are bypasses around some of the towns also. Mex 5 and Sin 1 are toll roads. The total tolls southbound (one way) was 553 pesos - a total of 1103 for the trip - at 11 to one, thats $100. A little bit of construction - repaving but not enough to disrupt traffic.

Ignored by several army checkpoints on the way south - but not ignored heading North. At one, they asked if I was coming from San Carlos, I said no Mazatlan and he replied "Oh Sinaloa" and directed me over a inspection pit. No really invasive inspections but a few minutes at each one. At one, they got all passangers off the busses and inspected ??

About a hour each way at the Customs/Imigration check outside Sonoyta, Son. Again here, the bus passengers had to get off, get their luggage and go thru customs inspection.

As far as the highways,etc. a great trip. Nice motel in Santa Anna 250pesos and Navojoa 350 pesos. (Note: Internet Cafes in most of the towns along the way - I did Email and the charge was 1 peso, Another was 10 pesos per hour - better than Baja. A motel I stayed at on return in Navojo had free WiFi in the rooms. They seem very connected - no reason not to stay in touch.)

Hghy 15 is one of the most trash free highways I have seen anywhere.

Have a good trip.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 11:32 PM

Thanks! Hope to get that way sometime in the not too distant future.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 10:52 AM
Lou

What did you need as far as paperwork at the checkpoint on the way to Caborca?
They used to be real sticklers as to vehicular stuff.
Which do you prefer? Baja or "that other coastline" jejejeje
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 02:40 PM
JR

Jr, see my other post "Temporary Import" which I outlined what I had to do for the vehicle Import. The other coast is another world. I'm in Baja cause I like the openness, but I think I can find lots I like in those areas also.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 06:03 PM
Lou

Did you get over to Isla de la Piedra - the village across from the Navy Base in south Mazatlan?

It's a short panga ride for a few pesos, then a short walk through the village where you arrive at Carmalita's Palapa restaurant (and others) on that great Coco Palm lined beach! We've spent many a day there, and like it the best!

Mazatlan has a lot to offer, and of course, you can get Pacifico Cerveza, right from the source! We used to go right up to their 'walk-in' window and get cases of Pacifico's for 'cheap'...those were the days!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 11:23 AM

We only had a day in Mazartlan before a family emergency occured causing my wife to fly back to LA the second day we were in town. I of course had to drive the truck back. We were really sorry not to have had more time there. It's been 20 years since I was there and was looking forward to a lot of exploration. I like the town. Ahhh well, next time.

No Bad Days

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 04:32 PM
Lou,

what a bummer...to not have the time to explore that great area, again.

On one of our trips there, the new Wal-Mart/Sam's had just opened - we'd seen it under construction the previous year.

My wife, Patricia, worked at Wal-Mart's jewelery counter in Lodi, CA, at that time, so she brought her 'associates badge' with her and she had a great time 'swapping stories' with a couple of the 'associates' in Maz-Town that spoke English! Mazatlan is large town these days, but it's still got lots of attractions when you get away from the 'Gringo - Golden Triangle' area!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.