Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: SOUTH DAKOTA...THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 10:40 AM
SOUTH DAKOTA...THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE

As many of you know, I cave covered and answered many question on this forum regarding South Dakota Registration.

However, I would like to give you our experiences when we went to Rapid City, South Dakota to obtain our driver's licenses.
We stayed at the America's Mailbox motel, which made it real convenient to handle vehicle tag transfers, plus they issued a receipt with their address and our PMB number, which we have had for several years at their location (our coach is registered there).
After spending the night there, we drove to the DMV office (about 5 miles from there).
When we walked into the DMV office we were greeted by 5 smiling eployees, and there was no line.
The DMV (which only issues driver's licenses), required that we show proof of the motel receipt, (our residency requirement), US passports, the old driver's license, and something with your social security number on it (SS card, W-2, etc). They had us fill out a short questionnaire. Then they verified our documents, pass a 40 second vision test, took our photos, and 40 seconds later they handed us a fully laminated DLs...Jana's and mine. Total time there was less than ten minutes!
So now we are legal residents of South Dakota, a state with NO INCOME TAX!

We also needed to transfer several California tagged vehicles. The America's Mailbox operations office handled that for us by having us sign a power of attorney. Very nice of them, when you have one of their PMB's. The vehicle license is handled at the county treasurer's office and there is normally a 3-4 hour line there because of all the people who wish to register their vehicles in SD because of their lower registration fees (for example, our coach in California would have been over $6,000. In SD our registration is $270 per year).

The America's mail box employees were also super friendly and made you feel right at home:

Here is the written information I gathered to share with you:

On the return trip, we decided to do some sight seeing and decided to visit Mt. Rushmore...

BUT...

We went there on the day the Feds shot down the government, which included the park service facility. The entrance to the park was blocked off, and park rangers were busy coning off ALL the turnouts so no one was able to legally stop their car and take photos of the Monument to our past presidents. We did manage to stop illegally and take some photos (what were the rangers going to do, pull in behind us and give us a ticket? Legally they were unemployed and no longer part of the law enforcement regiment).

Photo of Jana and myself near the President's heads:

We go to this sign before the rangers coned off the turnout.

Along the way we got REAL LUCKY and saw a mountain goat and her fowl grazing on the side of the road:

Notice the road cones blocking off the PUBLIC turnout (the state control's the roads, not the park services). So here is the profile shot of the President;

We, again, illegally stopped next to a guard rail to take a photo of this gorgeous lake:

Along the road (about 50 miles), there were several interpretive sites that explained the geology, the geography, history and topography of the areas near the Black Hills.

We also stopped at CUSTER park (private) and noticed the progress of the granite carving and the work being done with dynamite blasting to carve out the figure of Custer's horse.

Our Lakota Native American guide:

At the Custer museum, there was a bronze statue depicting a likeness of Crazy Horse and his fallen horse.

The museum also housed a $5,000,000 collection of arrowheads:

At the entrance to the town of Custer, one was greeted by this sign:

Here are a couple of photos for my friends in Ensenada:

In conclusion, the trip from Denver (here is Denver Gas Price:)

The trip was really worth while. We will save countless $ on the no income tax, and lower vehicle registration fees. The drive from Denver was about 6 hours, and speed average was 75 MPH (that was the legal speed limit in all but the city areas throughout the states). Gas prices ranged from $3.15 per gallon of regular in Nebraska, $3.25 in Wyoming, $3.40 in South Dakota.
I WOULD recommend this procedure for all the US and Canadian citizens living in Baja.

[Edited on 10-3-2013 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 10:55 AM

Man o man -- kudos for posting this great information. This is a great service for many people. I like SD!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

We went there on the day the Feds shot down the government, which included the park service facility. The entrance to the park was blocked off, and park rangers were busy coning off ALL the turnouts so no one was able to legally stop their car and take photos of the Monument to our past presidents. We did manage to stop illegally and take some photos (what were the rangers going to do, pull in behind us and give us a ticket? Legally they were unemployed and no longer part of the law enforcement regiment).

Photo of Jana and myself near the President's heads:

With the US side closed you should have gone to the Canadian side.

Bob Durrell
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 11:03 AM

Highly humorous, Bob!

Thanks for that!

Udo

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 11:08 AM

Why not support the state you live in?

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 11:25 AM

Udo, did you have to drive your motorhome there. How about emmisions requirements?

Thanks for sharing the experience.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

South Dakota is a "Safe Haven" for a Californian. :light:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 12:03 PM

Quote:

In my case, I dont live in a state anymore. So, S. Dakota is a great option.

No smog requirements. No state income tax. Vehicle registration by mail. PMBs OK for an address.

We bought a new RV in Iowa that year and the new vehicle/sales/use tax that almost all states charge was only 4% in SD. The RV dealer allowed us to delay paying that tax until we got to the state we were registering it in. We then paid it directly to the state of SD.

However, the Feds have forced SD to begin asking for a specific form about residency and requiring the receipt from an RV park or a hotel to prove you at least have been in the state. That's new since 2008, when we originally applied for our SD DLs.

One other new thing of note. We still possess our PMB in Sioux Falls, SD, but that is in the eastern end of SD. We renewed with no problem in Rapid City about a month before Udo. But we originally registered our vehicles in Sioux Falls, too, and the county treasurer in Rapid City could not process those for us (it could have been done by mail, but we figured we would do it in person, while getting our DLs). No worries. SD now has high tech kiosks set up in cities around the state that allow you to pay for registration and the spit out the tags for renewal. THIS IS NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME REGISTERER OF VEHICLES; YOU MUST ALREADY HAVE REGISTERED VEHICLES IN SD!!! But there was a kiosk in the State Govt offices in Rapid City and we used it. This saved us from having to drive all the way to Sioux Falls as our tags were about to expire.

So, we still are obligated to drive to SD every five years to renew our licenses. Not so bad, really.

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 12:24 PM

No I did not, ed. Just sent the title to Americas Mail Box, and they did everything else.
The only reason I went to SD was to obtain the DL for my wife and I and the no state tax.

Why not support the state I live in?

We will only be in California a few more months, the move to Baja permanently. Why should I support the California Economy?

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Udo, did you have to drive your motorhome there. How about emmisions requirements?

Thanks for sharing the experience.
:?::?:

Udo

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 12:25 PM

I worked for a company in San Diego and the owner registered all the company vehicles in OR. He had a ranch up there and at the time, late 90s, each vehicle was only about $30 or $40 compared to CA $400+.

[Edited on 10-3-2013 by TW]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 01:10 PM

edm1, your vehicle must have the Federally mandated emission controls for the year that it was sold.

But, in terms of testing for emissions, only vehicles registered in an area with a Federally mandated AQMD need to have them tested for emissions. There is no AQMD in all of South Dakota so there is no mandated testing for smog at the time of registration or renewal.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

In my case, I dont live in a state anymore. So, S. Dakota is a great option.

No smog requirements. No state income tax. Vehicle registration by mail. PMBs OK for an address.

We bought a new RV in Iowa that year and the new vehicle/sales/use tax that almost all states charge was only 4% in SD. The RV dealer allowed us to delay paying that tax until we got to the state we were registering it in. We then paid it directly to the state of SD.

However, the Feds have forced SD to begin asking for a specific form about residency and requiring the receipt from an RV park or a hotel to prove you at least have been in the state. That's new since 2008, when we originally applied for our SD DLs.

One other new thing of note. We still possess our PMB in Sioux Falls, SD, but that is in the eastern end of SD. We renewed with no problem in Rapid City about a month before Udo. But we originally registered our vehicles in Sioux Falls, too, and the county treasurer in Rapid City could not process those for us (it could have been done by mail, but we figured we would do it in person, while getting our DLs). No worries. SD now has high tech kiosks set up in cities around the state that allow you to pay for registration and the spit out the tags for renewal. THIS IS NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME REGISTERER OF VEHICLES; YOU MUST ALREADY HAVE REGISTERED VEHICLES IN SD!!! But there was a kiosk in the State Govt offices in Rapid City and we used it. This saved us from having to drive all the way to Sioux Falls as our tags were about to expire.

So, we still are obligated to drive to SD every five years to renew our licenses. Not so bad, really.

Interesting...makes sense I suppose if you full time in Mexico or on the road.

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 02:20 PM

" ...So, we still are obligated to drive to SD every five years to renew our licenses. Not so bad, really. ..."

Can you just fly, rather than drive?

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 02:22 PM

South Dakota has always been a GREAT state. Because of family ties there, I went to college there from CA. Of course, I missed CA at the time (mid '50's), but it was totally worth it getting to know all the wonderful people that inhabit the state. I didn't have a car then, but I needed a driver's license, so I went to the Clay County courthouse and bought one for 50 cents. What a deal that was, no tests at all. After all these years, I still go back for reunions and visits. I had my full time Mexico car registered there because they don't require proof of insurance. They are very accommodating.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 02:27 PM

It's starting to sound like South Dakota is THE true land of the free! I'm sure someone here will have a rebuttal:-)

What other states even come close to SD?

[Edited on 10-3-2013 by edm1]

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
" ...So, we still are obligated to drive to SD every five years to renew our licenses. Not so bad, really. ..."

Yeah, I misspoke. You could fly. A decent low cost airline, Allegiant, flies to Rapid City and Sioux Falls, I believe.

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 03:10 PM

I asked about renewals...
The clerk stated that all vehicle and DL renewals can be done on-line, once one has a SD DL.

Quote:

Udo

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 04:09 PM
Its a money maker

I've been getting both of my vehicles registered in Clay County S.D. since 2007 all done by phone except for mailing the check. The total population of Clay County is 14,131 as of 2012 and I'm sure some of those just have a PMB there like Udo.

The S.D. plates are formatted like this: 2 digits for county, one letter, space, one letter and 2 digits ( !9A B19). This combination allows 7,290,000 unique numbers for the whole state.

When I first got mine all Clay County plates started with 19 which meant the they were assigned 72,900 of those combinations which would seem reasonable given the small population. At todays population of 14,131 that would allow every man, woman and child in the county to own more than 5 cars.

However, sometime in 2011 Clay County's 19 designation ran out and their designation changed to 20 for another 72,900 combinations and lately I've even seen a few S.D. plated cars around here with 22 as the first two digits but I don't know if they are also fro Clay County.

The street I live on at Lomas Del Mar has 7 houses on it and the first 6 have one or more vehicles with S.D. plates and the last one has BCN plates. Since I live full time in Baja I can register my cars in any state I choose too and that would be S.D. My GIECO insurance cards are for S.D.

So far I have only been stopped once in CA (actually not stopped but involved in a fender bender) and even though my DL was not from S.D. it was no problem with matching plates and insurance card. I just explained that I live in Baja and couldn't get a Mexican DL and CA was closest state. Besides, Brown has now signed legislation allowing undocumented persons to get them.

Bob Durrell
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 04:30 PM

It was at the DMV office in Rapid City, SD.
The clerks were under 25 years old and perhaps not fully up to date on their information.
Their DMV web site still showed all the versions of ID's necessary to obtain a SD DL.
That information has been outdated since 2009, but is still posted on their website.

Udo

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2013 at 04:33 PM

I deleted my post as it may be that we were required to show up in person, due to that Federally required form. That was not a requirement in 2008.

So, rather than post info that may not have been correct, I deleted it.

[Edited on 10-3-2013 by Hook]

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.