Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: top 20 schools in BCS
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 07:08 AM

No surprise Loreto is not on the list.

And lttle Lopez number 5! Wow!

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 09:44 AM

Viva ! Asuncion !
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 09:48 AM

Viva punta abreojos and bahia asuncion! That is just awesome!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 09:56 AM

I wonder about this. One of the important things for kids continuing on to college is learning English as many of the textbooks are in English; English is NOT taught in Asuncion. The teacher does not speak English and the English classes are a joke. In trying to help some of the older students, I was amazed at how little they knew and that they never spoke English while in class. I have been told by friends that the teacher is there because of who she knows.

This really hurts the students as many need to delay college entrance while they take special English classes.

[Edited on 10-5-2013 by DianaT]

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 10:50 AM

Are you sure that English is a requirement in Baja California schools? Diane, could you be wrong about that? Or, said another way "How and where did you learn English was required in Baja California schools."
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Are you sure that English is a requirement in Baja California schools? Diane, could you be wrong about that? Or, said another way "How and where did you learn English was required in Baja California schools."

We have been told by local parents that English is a requirement at the secondary level. Have I checked the official Mexican Department of Education? No. My information is strictly from the local parents in Bahia Asuncion.

And, a while back they were in the process of requiring the teaching of English in all Mexican schools beginning at the elementary level, but there was some opposition to that so I do not if it is being done or not. Again, it was a topic of conversation with local parents after I read it somewhere--- sorry, I don't remember where. The locals were the ones who explained from where some of the opposition was coming. Again, did I go out and poll the country to verify? No.

And have I personally checked out the science textbooks at the university in Ensenada? NO --- again, it is just what local parents have told us.

Do I know that the students were not being taught English worth a darn in Bahia Asuncion? Well, I did not work with every student in Bahia Asuncion, just some very bright ones. They were very good students with very good grades.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 11:15 AM

How about next time "Some local parents told me the secondary schools in this village teach English as a mandatory course."
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

We have been told by local parents that English is a requirement at the secondary level. Have I checked the official Mexican Department of Education? No. My information is strictly from the local parents in Bahia Asuncion.

I question that as well for secondary schools. Ensenada is running over with bright young folks who went through the system at that level, and don't speak a word of English.
A foreign language is required in some, if not all, of the college level curriculums. Many students choose Italian for the ease of comprehension.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:

And, a while back they were in the process of requiring the teaching of English in all Mexican schools beginning at the elementary level, but there was some opposition to that so I do not if it is being done or not. Again, it was a topic of conversation with local parents after I read it somewhere--- sorry, I don't remember where. The locals were the ones who explained from where some of the opposition was coming. Again, did I go out and poll the country to verify? No.

And have I personally checked out the science textbooks at the university in Ensenada? NO --- again, it is just what local parents have told us.

Do I know that the students were not being taught English worth a darn in Bahia Asuncion? Well, I did not work with every student in Bahia Asuncion, just some very bright ones. They were very good students with very good grades.

Things have changed....they are teaching English at the secondary level...we just had this conversation last week with some friends.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:24 PM

You are right Diana. My daughter attended public school in Mexico in 6th grade. They taught the colors and the basic numbers. I then put her in a private school in Ensenada which cost me about $250 American a month, but they had an excellent English program. The books you had to buy were about $400 American yearly, and the enrollment fee was $400 American. This is the going rate for any parent that wants her child to get a good basis in English. MY daughter spoke perfect English but I wanted her to keep up with the grammar, so this is the price you have to pay. You are right to point out that being the best public school in Mexico does not mean you learn English.
Quote:
I wonder about this. One of the important things for kids continuing on to college is learning English as many of the textbooks are in English; English is NOT taught in Asuncion. The teacher does not speak English and the English classes are a joke. In trying to help some of the older students, I was amazed at how little they knew and that they never spoke English while in class. I have been told by friends that the teacher is there because of who she knows.

This really hurts the students as many need to delay college entrance while they take special English classes.

[Edited on 10-5-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:39 PM

I'm not favorably impressed by the calibre of education at the secondary level here in Mulege.
I assume the standard is the same throughout the state.

The students have 2 months off in summer and 2 months off at Christmas time.
They regularly have 1-3 hour school days.

My step-daughter is in her last year of college-prep. Yes, according to her, she and every student in her public school studies English and has studied for several years. This brings forth the logical question, "Can she speak or understand even a rudimentary amount of the language after years of classroom lessons?" The answer is a resounding "No".

Additionally, she wants to study nursing in college, but her options of studying science now are limited. For example there's no advanced sciences taught, no chemistry laboratory. She is restricted to the school's curriculum which gives a limited option of majors; she has chosen to major in Hospitality which focus of study is geared to cooking and working in hotels.

I've urged her to meet with a guidance counselor to discuss her education plans but that's not an option until the end of the school year after she takes her college entrance exams.

Additionally, some of the (male) teachers say it's not necessary to educate females beyond secondary school because they're only going to become mothers.

We have a long way to go if Mexico is going to step-up and be a contributor on the world-stage, imo.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
I've urged her to meet with a guidance counselor to discuss her education plans but that's not an option until the end of the school year after she takes her college entrance exams.

Additionally, some of the (male) teachers say it's not necessary to educate females beyond secondary school because they're only going to become mothers.

Sounds like public education at it's worst. No discussion with a counselor until it's so late in the game?
That is sinful.

Your next paragraph is mind-boggling, so I won't comment on it except to say it's mind-boggling. Absolutely mind-boggling. [can't say it enough]

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:52 PM

All I can say is I'm glad she's a stand-up girl.
She has a dream of a future and is willing to go after it.
She's a good girl and strong-minded and doesn't believe that chiite her teachers spew!

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Sounds like public education at it's worst. No discussion with a counselor until it's so late in the game?
That is sinful.

Your next paragraph is mind-boggling, so I won't comment on it except to say it's mind-boggling. Absolutely mind-boggling. [can't say it enough]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
She's a good girl and strong-minded and doesn't believe that chiite her teachers spew!

Good for her.
There's a public school, primary I think, here in PB, and it's a good day when they can coax the teachers into the classroom. If it weren't for expat volunteers teaching the kids some English, they wouldn't learn anything, but the government will have fulfilled it's mandate to provide the kids with a school.
Being from a wealthy, educated family in Mexico is a blessing for kids.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 01:46 PM

I know when I graduated Medical school in Ensenada, there was a TOEFL test for English that everyone had to take. I spoke English better than the English teacher!!
Quote:
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 01:51 PM

kudos to Bahia Asuncion!

And wow that's great news, BajaBoy!

I agree, Dennis, mind-boggling!

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 02:28 PM

Can you explain this further, lencho?
Certainly the language of science is Latin.
Are college textbooks not available in Spanish, only English?

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Additionally, she wants to study nursing in college, but her options of studying science now are limited.

If there is any possibility that she go into a science field in Mexico, it is imperative that she continue with English, as far as she can possibly go. That will give her a head start, even if science subjects are not available in her current situation.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
It use to be German if you wanted to go into the sciences.My aunt was able to transfer high schools in the early forties because the one she went to did not offer it. .

Wonder why? :light:

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 04:09 PM

Since I am an American Citizen, and I was not taking English as a Foreign Language I was excluded. My medical director called up the English teacher and said, "What are you crazy (to her) (and he speaks good English), this lady and writes better English that you!!
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I spoke English better than the English teacher!!

Duhh. What were your results on the TOEFL?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 04:12 PM

Wasn't Germany the center of technology and science around World War II? Also Dennis talking about Mexican schools and English, how much Spanish did you remember from high school before you moved or traveled to Mexico? It is not required in the public school system in Mexico on a more advanced level because the native language is Spanish, just like advanced Spanish in the US is not required.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
It use to be German if you wanted to go into the sciences.My aunt was able to transfer high schools in the early forties because the one she went to did not offer it. .

Wonder why? :light:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.