Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ling Cod
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 11:13 PM
Ling Cod

I have never been a huge Ling Cod fan as to eating. Fun enough to catch and what a -mean eat anything machine -they are! But after a successful trip to San Quintin in August I have changed my tune a bit. We cleaned it and bagged it well at Jardines and got it into their freezer that night...45+ days later it is still superb. But I gotta say, I still really only like it fried...breaded or dredged in flour...pan fried it is to die for. Wondering if any Nomads have their fave Ling Cod recipes???
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:06 AM

There is something about a sweet & sour sauce that brings out the best of lingcod's sometimes strong flavor.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/27686-Sweet-...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 08:17 AM

Aw all right. I'll give you my secret fish stew recipe:

1 can diced tomatoes
chopped leek
chopped fennel
potato
vegetable stock
dry wine
lingcod
shrimp
parsley

Add lingcod at the end and do not cook it longer than 4 minutes.
Shrimp should be added after lingcod and cooked at 3 minutes.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 08:25 AM
tell ya secret

almost all fish needs to be served under cooked!! as it will still finish cooking taken off the heat and served !! try it !!....:cool:
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:26 AM

Lingcod is a great eating fish-- the Fish Market restaurant in Del Mar uses lings for their fish and chips. When I catch a keeper, I slice its throat and put him head first in my bait tank. Bleeds out and improves the meat.
One basic way to prepare--- put a little olive oil and seasoning on your fillets. In a bowl mix sour cream, some mayo (about 2 to 1), sprinkle in some parmesan cheese, add green onions. Cook in a skillet on stove or pan in oven. Cook on medium heat until a fork passes easily thru fish (about 8-10 minutes for stove top method). Serve with french fried onions.
Now from the basic recipe, there many options--- add any or all of--- sliced almonds, pine nuts, mushrooms, asparagus, green peppers, diced apples or anything you have or want---- delicious!!
BTW I saw some Lingcod in my local high end market---- $16.99 a pound!!!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:35 AM
LINGCOD BLUE

LOL.awsome eating fish..also known as "hitch hiker" loves blues,,sanddabs,,octopus..turns white while cooking...butt ugly with a mouth from hell...
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:49 AM

Good eating fish .. IMHO

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 10:26 AM
Maybe Skipjack can verify this?

As I recall ALL of the Ling Cod we used to catch out of Half Moon Bay were BLUE and much larger than those caught in BAJA (maybe because of the colder water?).

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 11:21 AM

BornFisher's fish is the BOMB! Friggin' special.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:17 PM

Ok...now I'm hungry for Ling Cod with those recipes... too bad I took out a slab of Yellowtail last night to defrost!!!

(remind me in February that once upon a time I had a choice as to what type of fish I was going to pull from the freezer...)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
As I recall ALL of the Ling Cod we used to catch out of Half Moon Bay were BLUE and much larger than those caught in BAJA (maybe because of the colder water?).

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by durrelllrobert]

This LA Times article says it due to chlorophyll, but I haven't found how this chlorophyll is ingested. Cabezone are almost always green and I believe that algae is part of their diet.

The lingcod is sometimes sold whole, and some consumers are put off by its bright blue or green skin. The brilliant emerald green hue is produced by the lingcod's diet, which includes a great deal of chlorophyll. The color may also pervade the meat, although it disappears when the fish is cooked.

To be honest I haven't caught many lings in baja. We go there to catch hot fish that run line off the reel. So, we avoid San Quintin and Castro's Camp, places that specialize in bottom fish.

Lingcod as big as the one in your picture are not that common any more here either. But Alaska still has many big ones I am told. We didn't get any this summer. BTW, IMO they are better eating than halibut. Although the leopard grouper down in baja is about as good as it gets (much tastier than calico bass).
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:33 PM

My ling cod story:
Not long after SWMBO moved in a friend stopped by on a Sunday afternoon and gave me three nice LC fillets, caught in the Monterey Bay area - greenish of course. All day at work the next day I went over the various ways to cook them and finally when I got home I ran to the fridge and - no ling cod. WTF??? I turn to SWMBO and casually asked what happened to the fish? "I threw them out as they were turning green". I know a jury of my peers would not have convicted me.
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:42 PM

Back in the old days in Seward Alaska we would catch big lings, 45-55 lb. There was a Captain's wife that only eat green ling cod, said they tasted better.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:49 PM

about 20+ years ago i was on the cover of the washington fish and wildlife regulations hefting up a 65# ling i had wrenched up from the deep on a live herring...i killed that fish and have regretted it since...just does not make any sense killing that fabulous broodstock that is now not so abundant....we now catch and eat lings up here in the pacific northwest but never, ever keep anything over 10#....and i understand the reason for the blue/green coloration of their flesh is because their favorite meal is octopus and squid, both of which are laden with dense, bluegreen ink that they use as a defense against their enemies...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:50 PM
lingcod green/blue

that's a good story Santiago...1 year,, awhile back sailed from cabo to the rocks (sorrcorros is) then hawii and then up to reserection bay (seward) Alaska went from trolling dodo,wahoo,tuna to silver salmon..Ahh what a fishing trip..seen some BIG LC in seward.. and not all blue but brown...K&T
Tree

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:05 PM

Went down to San Quitin late September and stayed at Jardines great variety of fish. YT are fun and good on the smoker but prefer the lings for general eating.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by Tree]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:07 PM
uhh ???

:wow:
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 06:30 AM

Back in around 2005-6 when there was a lingcod explosion off La Jolla, CA (now part of the MPA) and certain secret spots off Pt Loma we caught lings of each color almost every time out. I prefer the green/blue lings over the white. I probably ate them at least once a week back then. One nite I had a lingcod tasting feast for a party of 15 or so. Both green/blue vs white meat. I cooked two different recipes (one above) and one grilled both the same way without the guests knowing which were which. Both recipes did not have any other ingredients to mask the taste, i.e. shellfish, vegetables, etc just the fish and a sauce. Kinda like Chopped or Iron Chef on the tv.

The green/blue won hands down. So to me the case is closed.

I like the octopus reason for the color. Below is one of those outings.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/40566-PL-4-2...

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by Lobsterman]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.