Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Skip Rancho Grande in Gonzaga
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:15 PM
Skip Rancho Grande in Gonzaga

Hi,

We stopped here Saturday, ready to camp for the night. In a hurry to camp, we ate at Rancho Grande- across the road from the Pemex. In spite of the sketchy looks of the cooking area, we decided to have fish tacos.

Big mistake. Both of us got sick.
We've traveled extensively through the Americas in rural/remote areas with few probs.

These guys need to do some work. Follow your instincts.

Drive right on.

We were impressed with breakfast next morning at Campo Sacrificio to the south ~ 6km from highway. The two women running the place were doing an excellent job of running a kitchen.

Regards,
Jay
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:21 PM

so jay, did you end up camping at rancho grande and hit sacrificio in the morning, or stay at sacrificio? thanks for the heads up
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:28 PM

a friends wife's uncle owns the entire spread. part of the Pino's operation. i'll tell them.

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by woody with a view]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:32 PM

Bad news... as that cantina got high marks in the past...

Good food always reported at Alfonsinas's and Papa Fernandez', however.

Thanks for the report!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:38 PM

im assuming this was the taco bar in front of the market, not the adjoining restaurant?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
im assuming this was the taco bar in front of the market, not the adjoining restaurant?

I didn't notice two eating places at the market last summer... is this new restaurant a separate building/ room from the market?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:50 PM

i stayed at rancho grande beach camp last spring... they're building mostly-enclosed walled palapas (cabanas, whatever) now and twice the price of just parking your rv next to a shade-palapa. Also, they chained the entire hectare to the west for ?? whatever reason ?? developement plans.... the sand blows into the beach camp so bad i couldn't see my trailer from 100m. away. Bad Ju-Ju.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

I didn't notice two eating places at the market last summer... is this new restaurant a separate building/ room from the market?
its just a taco bar under the palapa on the right as you walk in. had great tacos there couple months back. hey it happens everywhere once and awhile!;D
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 06:53 PM

Oh, okay... so only one eating place. I do try to be observant on my trips! :cool:

The highway construction crew and military checkpoint personal seemed to keep them very busy.

jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 10:21 PM

We camped at far S end of Sacrificio. Looked at R. Grande palapas- decided there would be no sleep to be had there.
In future, would blow by all and head farther south to camp for more peace and quiet.

... J
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 10:33 PM

When the wind blows at Rancho Grande Beach, it is like being sand blasted. Sacraficio is very clean and the ladies have the restaurant ship shape as well as the whole area.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 12:19 AM

Papa Fernandez is the best place to stay out of the wind. It blows from the north and they face south with a bluff behind them, which shields you from the weather.

They also serve good basic Mexican food. Although I've never had food issues at Rancho Grande either.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 08:26 AM

Quote:

Papa Fernandez is the best place to stay out of the wind. It blows from the north and they face south with a bluff behind them, which shields you from the weather.

Only if you have one of the homes to stay in. The campground is on the other side of that bluff and faces east exposed to the SOC and to the wind, the campsites are NOT inside the bay they are to the north of P. Willard.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 08:38 AM

Nobody mentions the fine campground/ palapas of Campo Beluga... They are south of Rancho Grande and North of El Sacrificio.

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 11:01 AM

Rancho Grande sure has a fine market though.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 11:03 AM

I Googled Sacrificio but could not easily find its location....anyone have better knowledge of its location?

Gracias

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I Googled Sacrificio but could not easily find its location....anyone have better knowledge of its location?

Gracias
its on the west shore of the punta final bay
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

Gracias

Enter these coordinates in google:

29 degrees 45'05.87"N, 114 degrees 20'46.68"W

It's after the rocky area going south on the dirt road toward Pt Final.

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by Skipjack Joe]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 11:49 AM

motoged,

It is signed on 5 just south of the Rancho Grande complex. Just head east for a couple of miles.

Here is the layout looking south to north. Note the palapa on the very right.

the cyclists used the large palapa to camp, referenced in the last photo. Less the 200' from restaurant.

view from restaurant

Paula is still raving about the pancakes. My shrimp omlete was delicious!!!!!

Of course the sunrises are, well you know.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 12:03 PM

Thanks, guys......That stretch south of Rancho Grande usually has me on the pegs and focused on washboard, baby-heads , soft sand surprises.....and visiting Coco for a few cold ones before heading to Calamujue.....:biggrin:

I guess next time I will look around a bit more on that stretch.

These days my Baja moto rides are geared more towards exploring than "A to B fast mode". So these bits of info set up "the next ride". :cool:

I have stayed several times at Alphonsina's and camped on the beach just south of airstrip (arrived after dark)....but never "took the time" to explore the area more....next time.

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.