Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mama Espinosa
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 06:41 AM

Mama Espinoza (and El Rosario) have a brief description on the March page of the new "Journey Down Baja" calendar for 2014.

Just do it!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:24 AM

Perhaps because this is such a small community, or life is pretty much lived on a day to day basis without much rat race but it seems that quite a few elders live to the 100's, more than elsewhere.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:40 AM

We had dinner at Mama Espinoza a few weeks ago... the Chile Rellenos were DELICIOSO! Best I've ever had in Baja... including my own.

Despite the no-pet note posted on every door, the adjacent Motel IS pet-friendly... for 100 pesos. :)

[Edited on 10-18-2013 by Feathers]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:52 AM

Thanks DK. I knew you could not resist. good effort for a day or so, though.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 09:11 AM
in 2012, the UN estimated there to be only 316,600 centenarians worldwide

Country Latest estimate (year)
Andorra 7 (2002)
Estonia 42 (1990
Ireland 87 (2006)
Austria 232 (1990)
Slovenia 233 (2012)
Portugal 268 (1990)
New Zealand 297 (1991)
Uruguay 519 (2011)
Finland 566 (2010)
Czech Republic 625 (2011)
Norway 636 (2010)
Singapore 724 (2011)
Hungary 799 (2009)
Denmark 889 (2010)
Switzerland 1,306 (2010)
Belgium 1,559 (2010)
Peru 1,682 (2011
Netherlands 1,743 (2010)
Sweden 1,798 (2010)
South Korea 1,836 (2010)
Poland 2,414 (2009)
Argentina 3,487 (1990)
Australia 4,252 (2011)
Mexico 7,441 (2010)
Canada 7,569 (2011)
Spain 8,080 (2010)
Germany 8,839 (2006)
Italy 12,756 (2010)
United Kingdom 13,361 (2012)
France 20,106 (2013)
Brazil 23,760 (2010)
China 48,921 (2011)
Japan 51,376 (2012)
United States 53,364 (2010)

Bob Durrell
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Pretty convincing evidence presented however. Maybe not PC with the Nomad censors on the occasion though.:lol::lol: 105 or 107 is remarkable in a pre Obama care era in any case.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 09:49 AM

107 years old!

They say she rode with Pancho Villa.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 10:48 AM

At her age, she can declare any birth year she wants!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:

Pretty convincing evidence presented however. Maybe not PC with the Nomad censors on the occasion though.:lol::lol: 105 or 107 is remarkable in a pre Obama care era in any case.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!

What does Obama have to do with Mamma Espinosa :rolleyes:
Life style, diet, genes, what life deals us and how we respond to it seems a little more rational............
Step away from the window, I won't let the boogie man come............. Shhhh go back to sleep, go back to sleep :lol:
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!

What does Obama have to do with Mamma Espinosa :rolleyes:

Life style, diet, genes, what life deals us and how we respond to it seems a little more rational............
Step away from the window, I won't let the boogie man come............. Shhhh go back to sleep, go back to sleep :lol:

Get up to speed with the times Rat. Read the 2000 plus pages in affordable care act.(aka Obama care) It's all about preventive health care. Could make you live longer. Get it?
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 07:58 PM

We always stop and eat there for years. The food is always good.
We had a chance to meet here 2 years ago, we were in her living room
with her daughter, the lady was awesome! We spent 15 min. with her,
she told us she speaks 4 different languages, she also sang Yankee Doodle Dandy to us. One more great Baja experience!
huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 01:00 PM

It is hard to believe that she is still there. I first ate at her house in 1971. You want to talk about longevity, someone should study her diet and exercise regimen. As I recall, there was whenever possible, fish on the menu. The menu always consisted of whats for lunch today.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 10:14 PM
Lobster burritos were always my favorite

The melted butter, the fresh flour tortillas...my mouth waters (and cholesterol goes up) just imagining them.

This spring my group arrived a few days after lobster season had ended.sigh... Looking ahead to 2014, Lipitor at the ready.

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Our favorite dish at Mama's are the crab soup (small serving is just right) and crab chile rellenos.
Used to be that Mama's was known for lobster EVERYTHING, but the crab is now their signature ingredient.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
thefishaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 09:03 AM
Food

We stopped in Oct and again had a great meal and got to share what we know of Mama's history with a couple we met in SD and were showing them the way South.

Had Chile Rellenos with eggs on top. Yumm.
buggableone

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 10:21 AM
Mama

We just ate there last month. Twice in about a 3 week time span. Went the 2nd time hoping it would be better. NOT!

First clue, the taco chips were round and from a bag. Not freshly made like a lot of places serve.

Figured Mama was no longer in this world and not cooking any longer.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 10:37 AM

Doesnt seem like there is anything about Baja you like eh?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by buggableone
We just ate there last month. Twice in about a 3 week time span. Went the 2nd time hoping it would be better. NOT!

First clue, the taco chips were round and from a bag. Not freshly made like a lot of places serve.

Figured Mama was no longer in this world and not cooking any longer.

She is still around, but has not run the restaurant for many years. While she is still a Baja Icon, today the restaurant has many fans and many who will no longer eat there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 11:06 AM

It obviously isn't consistent... but so many businesses in Mexico are the same. One trip will be fantastic, and the next time there is a different cook or waitress and the experience is not the same.

We have eaten at Mama's a few times, and it has been good (usually breakfast). Most of the times in El Rosario we go to other places, such as Ed's Baja's Best B&B Restaurant/Bar (across from the Turista Motel on the far end of town) or Hugo's Tacos Mision (casual indoor dining, giant burritos and stuffed baked potatoes).

For sure Mama's is designed with tourist's in mind... like a museum inside with fossils and photos and off road racing memorabilia. There is a gift store inside, too.

Breakfast in July, 2009:

Mama signing one of the books about her life to me:

She (above) was almost 101 per her autobiography (born August 1908) or almost 99 per the book she is signing here (born 1910)... the youngest of 10 children.

[Edited on 12-11-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Sorry to report that of the 3 time I tried the combination plate all three were lousy and some items weren't eatable each time. I now stay in San Quitin.
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
the combination plate has always been good. it's hard to screw up the national dish.

there is a much better restaurant east of mamas, north side of the road, across the street from the baseball field (between the llantera and the police station). dont know the name, just look for baseball field and you'll find it :bounce:

I think that is Restaurant Mi Casita. It's an orange building right?

perhaps

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Perhaps Primo's La Bocana Beach Restaurant... maybe renamed Sinahi Restaurant after his motel/RV Park, next door?

nope

You are absolutely correct Goat, there is no Sinahi RV Park in El Rosario, I have stayed at the Sinai RV Park a couple of times, but that couldn't be the same place. The spelling czar would have pointed that out.:lol::lol::lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Sorry to report that of the 3 time I tried the combination plate all three were lousy and some items weren't eatable each time. I now stay in San Quitin.
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
the combination plate has always been good. it's hard to screw up the national dish.

there is a much better restaurant east of mamas, north side of the road, across the street from the baseball field (between the llantera and the police station). dont know the name, just look for baseball field and you'll find it :bounce:

I think that is Restaurant Mi Casita. It's an orange building right?

perhaps

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Perhaps Primo's La Bocana Beach Restaurant... maybe renamed Sinahi Restaurant after his motel/RV Park, next door?

nope

You are absolutely correct Goat, there is no Sinahi RV Park in El Rosario, I have stayed at the Sinai RV Park a couple of times, but that couldn't be the same place. The spelling czar would have pointed that out.:lol::lol::lol:

That is how the owner 'Primo' spells it: SINAHI.

If I find a photo I will add it, I did find an email from Antonio (BajaCactus) in 2005, regarding the Festival there, note how El Rosario native and businessman spells it:

Here is the email from Antonio tonight (May 24, 2005) that says it better than me retyping the details...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Bro...

I have been very, very busy organizing a ton of stuff...so, again, I need your help, if you have the time, to distribute the festival image (which I am attaching now) to any and all web sites you consider appropriate. Any place you think it may help to promote the Festival.

The reason for me to ask this is that I am seeing coming a lot a time for me to be spent in El Rosario in the next weeks...and as you know, I do not have Internet there.

The name of the festival is "Baja Rosario Festival 2005"... the activities we are organizing you already know.

Anyone who wish to attend and reserve a room in El Rosario, may contact me directly at festival@bajacactus.com... I have made arrangements with the local motels for me to control all the reservations for those days (it is easier).

We have the BajaCactus Motel with 24 rooms (18 already reserved), Las Cabaņas motel with 17 rooms (4 already reserved) and Motel Sinahi with 16 rooms.

Motel Sinahi also has RV's park with capacity for 24 motorhomes.

If someone would like a camping site at La Bocana, they can also contact me at festival@bajacactus.com (I do not have the rates for there yet... but it will be something like $5-$10 us dlls a night... not sure yet)

Rates on this three motel are between $ 25 dlls - $ 35 dlls a night.

I also have arrange for motel rooms in San Quintin, so if anyone wishes to stay there instead they can do it at festival@bajacactus.com ... GOT IT?... festival@bajacactus.com... jejejeje

Time to be a BajaCactus ambassador again Bro...if you do not have the time just let me know and I will ask my wife or someone else to assist me... NO PROBLEM...!!!

If you need any other info.. just let me know...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.