BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Best GPS for Baja travel?
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 06:38 AM
Best GPS for Baja travel?

I know it has been discussed previously, but ......
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 06:56 AM

I want to know, too . . . . .
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 07:16 AM
Best GPS for what use???

Depends on what you want to use it for.

For road navigation, I have the Garmin 2455LMT. Has mexico pre loaded, will accept mini SD cards and has lifetime updates. Really like the street features, helps me navigate in TJ, Rosarito and Ensenada. Also showed the streets in San Quintin.

For handheld and trail use, I have the Garmin Map 62s. Comes preloaded with a bunch of maps, can also add a mini SD card.

Great units..........but depends on what you are going to use them for

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 07:28 AM

I have a Garmin Etrex 20 and so far for me it is a nightmare.

I want to use it to mark fishing holes in Mag Bay, do back road trips like this one, etc.

Not for highway driving.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70218
skippermike
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 09:23 AM
GPS Choice

If you want a traditional, dedicated GPS - rather than an Iphone/pad app - I think the two choices are Garmin or Lowrance.
Garmin is easier to use, gives directions and has great maps. It can be a large-screen (7") for your vehicle, or a smaller-screen handheld for hiking/exploring/fishing.
For really serious offroad use, the most frequently seen is the Lowrance.
Good navigating!
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 09:46 AM

In my experience, which is extensive, nothing beats MotionX on the Ipad. Gen 1 Ipad on ebay runs between 200 and 250 bucks. GPS reciever is 60 bucks. There's really nothing else out there that compares, IMHO.

I also use it to keep documents (nomad threads, manuals, etc.), stargazing maps, shortwave radio schedules, weatherfax, and on and on and on. It's become a critical item in my baja kit.

yuletide
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 10:04 AM

I have the Garmin Nuvi 855. I bought a Mexico map down load and it shows quite a lot of the topo features and way more trails than I expected. After a ride I down load my journey in the Garnim Base Camp program and it show where I've gone and stitches the route making new trails part of the map. I had some operator errors last trip over the mountains past San Jose Magdalena.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 10:25 AM

So far just Garmin's discussed.
My Garmin is a 4" screen Montana650 It will accept 3rd party background maps and allows sharing trails. It is useful in Baja and the states with appropriate background maps. Choose any Garmin carefully to make sure 3rd party maps and trail exchange is not blocked. If your Garmin has these capabilities then updated Baja maps are available and we can share trails from our trips.

My Favorite GPS is a Lowrance 7200C. However any discontinued Lowrance 5" color screen will have the same capabilities as my 7" 7200. The main advantage of Lowrance is new background maps are more frequently updated for the latest findings of Baja back country roads and are more up to date than the Garmin versions due to the demand from the Baja racers.
The newer HDS models have blocked for using 3rd party BG maps resulting in Baja only usefulness. The result is they useful for are Baja only. Let price be your method of choosing. The used Lowrance units are becoming pricey due to the demand from the racers who do not want the spendy HDS models.

Bottom line is bigger is always better and new BG maps are important.
Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
I have a Garmin Etrex 20 and so far for me it is a nightmare.

I want to use it to mark fishing holes in Mag Bay, do back road trips like this one, etc.

Not for highway driving.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70218

Mula, is this your first GPS? There is lots of help out there on the Internet... Garmin GPS forums, Geocaching.com, here on Nomad. Can you be specific what is the nightmare? I have two Garmin eTrex models... but from over ten years ago... so I might not be the best to help, but the general how-to stuff I can try and help with should you not get any other's assistance for your eTrex 20...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 12:09 PM

I spent a couple hours with it after download the manual this morning.

I guess my biggest problem with it is actually just me.

I can't hardly see the screen. I used to to mark the route for the cabalgata and finally got that done and the route named, etc. But took a long time.

Also want to use it for fishing holes out in Mag Bay and that seems to be a whole other ball of wax.

On edit: yes this is my first GPS

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by Mula]
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 04:38 PM

garmin nuvi...hands down...all models have been good for us....but don't expect to find a gps for deep down in soc waters, like south of GN, as even with the maps we've purchased, it sometimes shows us waaaaay up on dry ground when we are actually still a hundred yards from shore....don't trust even the most sophisticated gps, satellite imaging, top o the line instruments in southern baja, as they are just not accurate yet, imho.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
I spent a couple hours with it after download the manual this morning.

I guess my biggest problem with it is actually just me.

I can't hardly see the screen. I used to to mark the route for the cabalgata and finally got that done and the route named, etc. But took a long time.

Also want to use it for fishing holes out in Mag Bay and that seems to be a whole other ball of wax.

On edit: yes this is my first GPS

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by Mula]

If my son was still at Mag Bay, he could help... When Geocaching got started, my kids were at the perfect age for going on hikes with dad and we used the eTrex to find and hide Geocaches. When the kids got to that age where it was more fun to be with friends than parents, the Geocaching sport pretty much ended for me.

[Geocaching is a 'hide-and seek' or treasure hunt game played with a GPS and their web site http://geocaching.com , many Nomads are also Geocachers and have hidden many in Baja since the first one, about the year 2001]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 04:57 PM

I've had great luck with the foldable paper garmin/lowrance/magellan/motionX/blahblahblah. cant beat it for adventure and even give your brain a little exercise!:yes:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 05:16 PM

Here's a screen shot fro my computer of what my Nuvi has.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 05:21 PM

That's awesome Russ... I can almost see the Magdalena ruins on it! :wow:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 05:32 PM

Zoomed in it really shows detail. Where ever your cursor is the altitude will pop up.

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
In my experience, which is extensive, nothing beats MotionX on the Ipad. Gen 1 Ipad on ebay runs between 200 and 250 bucks. GPS reciever is 60 bucks. There's really nothing else out there that compares, IMHO.

I also use it to keep documents (nomad threads, manuals, etc.), stargazing maps, shortwave radio schedules, weatherfax, and on and on and on. It's become a critical item in my baja kit.

Thanks, 'matic. Great advice, I think I'm going to do just that.

WTF
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 06:09 PM

Whats wrong with a map and eyeballs? With enough electronics, ya all can just stay home and "do" Baja.....

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Whats wrong with a map and eyeballs? With enough electronics, ya all can just stay home and "do" Baja.....

Absolutely nothing! But since we're on the topic, whats wrong with tinkering with gadgets? To some, like myself, there's equally as much fun in precision technology as there is in getting lost in Baja and figuring it out with a map and a compass. Personally, I started with the old, "turn left at the busted wagon" nav system. These days, after mastering the Almanac, I've become curious as to how "perfect" a system I can create. My driving buddy is much less impressed than I with this newfangled gadgetry, but I can promise you he enjoys being lost less when the sun is sinking low and we're racing to make camp. :yes:

yuletide
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:14 AM

Here they are Russ... GPS waypoint written on the top right:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.