BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Visa confusion
sids

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 07:53 AM
Visa confusion

Thinking of retiring to Baja but don't quite understand the visa situation. I can't see what the purpose of the Temporary Residence Visa is and what benefits it has over the Permanent one.

As I understand it if you get a Temporary Visa you need to renew it each year and it is only valid for a maximum of 4 years - so why not simply get a Permanent Visa from the outset?
ccorbridge

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 08:22 AM

I just got a temporary Visa in Calexico. You're right the permanent is cheaper over all and a better choice. The temporary becomes a permanent after the 4 yr renewal process. You must have more income to qualify for the permanent if you start there. If you start with the temporary you can get by with less income and only have to prove it that one time at the start. In my case I didn't know all my options. But I might of had a hard time qualifying for permanent. They would only accept one bank account or investment account. They would not combine 2 investment accounts together to meet their requirements. hope this helps.

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abraham Lincoln

My blog
http://ccorbridge.wordpress.com/
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 09:22 AM
requirements calexico?

Quote:
Originally posted by ccorbridge
I just got a temporary Visa in Calexico. You're right the permanent is cheaper over all and a better choice. The temporary becomes a permanent after the 4 yr renewal process. You must have more income to qualify for the permanent if you start there. If you start with the temporary you can get by with less income and only have to prove it that one time at the start. In my case I didn't know all my options. But I might of had a hard time qualifying for permanent. They would only accept one bank account or investment account. They would not combine 2 investment accounts together to meet their requirements. hope this helps.

What did they require at the Calexico consulate? I have read the list of requirements, but it seems some consulates have different lists? Did they require an appointment and if so how long did it take to get the appointment?
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 10:16 AM

We used investment account statements and bank statements (together) to qualify for the Residente Permanente status when filing in La Paz.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 02:58 PM

We did our RP cards at the Mexican consulate in Santa Ana, CA.

After showing the qualifying papers, they handed us the visas on the spot.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.