BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Guess what I can't find?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 11-22-2004 at 04:23 PM
Guess what I can't find?

Those not so uncommon words heard throughout markets in Mexico.:lol:
We have noticed some things that we were acustomed to in the states that we have had a hard time on more than one occasion finding down here.
I am curious as to others feelings on this and if they have other suggestions. Many friends ask what they can bring down and I can never think of anything because I have learned to live without when not available.
But, here are the beginnings of a list and hope some may be able to add to it. And remember, if you can't live without any of these things, you are better off bringing them with you.

1. Root Beer
2. Tonic Water
3. Worcestershire Sauce
4. Good toilet paper
5. Parmesian cheese
6. Canned soups (they have the basic ones)
7. Bug Spray
8. Fishing Tackle
9. Spices
10.English Muffins
11.Wet Wipes
12.Tampons
13.Charcoal Lighter Fluid
14.Castrol Motor Oil
15.Good Deoderants
16.Specialty and good quality Batteries
17.First Aid Stuff
18.Name Brand Food Items
19.Shampoo
20.Coleman Lantern Mantels

Most of these things can be found in the tourist areas of Baja but not always. And enough times that we have learned to be prepared without counting on finding them here.

But, despite what we are lacking here,many grocery items are better but I will save that for a different post.

[Edited on 11/23/2004 by jrbaja]
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:06 PM
What I

commonly bring back....

Canned Chili beans
Artichokes
Brown Rice
A Big T-Bone
Breakfast Sausage (not hot dogs)
Polish Sausage
Fresh head of lettuce
Rolaids

Baja Events
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:17 PM

I would add that in my experience, you don't find many of the prepackaged cuts of meat we're used to seeing in stores in the states. Unless you have a carneceria hand cut them for you, a 12 oz. New York strip or some nice thick lamb loin chops will be pretty hard to come by. However, when in Rome . . . .
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:27 PM

I hadn't seen Tio Rocky's post when I put mine up, but I had to add something about artichokes. I was in Ensenada a few years ago with some friends who live out on Punta Estero and they had a huge bowl of chokes out on the table. I remarked that I'd never seen them in the stores around town. They told me that these were growing wild on the land of a farmer they knew who was going to plow them under as weeds, basically, but let people onto his land to pick what they wanted before doing so. A far cry from Castroville, although the two places aren't really that far apart. The wild chokes were delicious, by the way.
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:34 PM
Hey!

Hey, Hose A...... I can come by anytime and take some of that off your hands if your getting tired????

When I first saw this post, "Guess what I can't find" .... I was going to respond by saying you might try standing on a mirrow....
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Tio Rocky......

[Edited on 11-23-2004 by Tio Rocky]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:45 PM
You guys bring beef??

With all the different types of beef available down here, including tender cuts, birria, machaca, asadas, cabezas, and then add carnitas, venado, chivo, borrego, liebre, etc., I am truly surprised.
Am I missing something from those u.s.butchers?:?:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:45 PM
JRs list

Just curious but why Castrol motor oil? Don't the Pemex stations and auto parts stores carry mfd approved motor oil.
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 06:03 PM
Beef

I also live in Ensenada and the average beef I fine here is good but not great?. But with that said there are a couple of places here that have great beef.

Hose A?. there is a small store on Second St. at the south end of town just before you go over river? it?s on the corner?if you go in and ask for a thick t-bone they will cut it from a frozen piece but it is really good?.

I have an Argentinean friend who has a store in LA?.. his son fly?s for one of the Argentinean Airlines?. He comes to LA twice a week with an ice chest behind his seat full of Argentinean Beef?.freshly cut 24 hours before?.. Sorry folks?.. hands down the best?. That?s what I bring back??:P

Tio Rocky
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 06:09 PM
I'm talking about the majority of places

in Baja. Smart and Final, Auto Zone and McDonalds don't count.:lol:
We have 3 butcher shops here that we frequent and usually get a filete(mignon), fresh cut carne molida, thick cut chuletas de puerco, todo esta bien!! La Paz gets Sonora beef in some of their carnicerias.
We will have you up for a filete in the near future.:bounce: You be the judge!
Seldom do we bring meats back from the u.s. But, around this time of year, you sure can't beat the price of turkeys up there!!:lol:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

lol.gif posted on 11-22-2004 at 06:10 PM
Whoa...I see something missing from these lists

If you were married to my sweet wife you would be importing WHIPPED CREAM. Cool-whip is one of her basic food groups, and with rare exceptions, even the canned stuff is not to be found between Santa Rosalia and La Paz. Saul's Tienda in Mulege, and Quatro Altas in Loreto sometimes! :biggrin::biggrin:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 10:29 PM

Great subject, what I can't find...

even in urban N. Baja (Jr, I know your thread was about outlying areas).

1. Good quality kitty litter in sufficient quantity. I understand the economics of why there is a lack of supply, the average Mexican family isn't going to cut into its food budget to buy expensive clay for a non-useful animal. But, even Costco in TJ doesn't have the KL. We have three indoor cats (ages 22, 18, and 14, they have to stay indoors) and we use up a 40 lb. box each month.

2. Good quality large breed dog food. There is one granero in Rosarito that carries Nutromax large breed at a 2.5 markup from U.S. prices.

3. Outside of urban areas, yogurt doesn't seem to be available

4. Can't find good cheese. With the large amount of goats I see on the hillsides, why isn't goat's milk and cheese more readily available?

5. Cheese, Pt. II. With the large amount of dairy herds, why aren't there several operations producing cow's milk cheeses?

6. Organic food. Depletion of the water table is a huge issue in Baja. Why isn't there more of a conservation effort and/or investment in organic and hydroponic farming techniques to provide gourmet items to the very hungry U.S. market?

7. Reasonably priced, good quality Mexican wines (and tequila). The supermarkets and the liquor stores are stocked full of Spanish, Italian and French imports that undercut local Mexican product with price and quality. What's up with that? I know the import duties tack on a heavy penalty, what's with the Mexican attitude about "If it's not selling, put the price up." My preference is to buy local, but sheeshh!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
La Paz gets Sonora beef in some of their carnicerias.

I have a Sonora meat purveyor stop at my place every two weeks. His beef tenderloins are the best I have ever tasted. (I lived in KC for ten years!)

Bookerman

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 10:51 PM

"Guess what I can't find?"

What, your thumb?:lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 10:53 PM
KC??????????

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 11:11 PM

Kansas City... Barry, I believe Dave means Kansas City.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 12:07 AM
Gypsys Jan and queso...

you don't have to get far out of the urban areas in N. Baja. Even if it is just highway 3 between Ensenada and Tecate.

My wife and I have a saying similar to Neal Johns' philosophy about dirt roads:

If you pass a sign that says, "Hay Queso" and you don't stop to investigate, you'll regret it! (Actually, we've found this to be true about "Miel" and just about anything else anyone at one of these ranchos is proud enough to post a sign beside the road about. That's how we discovered Pay de Datil in the San Ignacio area and Dulces in San Bartolo.)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 01:01 AM

Queso is everywhere in Mexico, so maybe I don't understand Gypsy's post...?

Antonio (BajaCactus) and I went walking through some of the food malls in Tijuana searching for Pitaya Dulce fruit and there was all kinds of cheeses for sale (and free samples!).

In the mountains, goat cheese is a big product of the ranch people.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 07:26 AM
back to the beef

Here in Los Cabos we have Costco, Sorrianos and CCC but I buy all my beef from a local chain Frutas y Verduras. They have the Sonora beef that in my opinion is the absolute best. I just bought 8 New Yorks about 1 1/2 inches thick and they cost me 341 pesos... The flavor is better than anything you can get in the states.
Throw those puppies on the grill and grrrrrreat.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 08:10 AM

I see business opportunities here folks...
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 08:44 AM
Best

Best Business in Baja???.. CV Joints:lol::lol::lol:

Baja Events
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.