bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 07:29 AM
Kurt Caselli Killed in Baja 1000 Accident

From ensenada.net

Article posted November 15, 2013
por Elizabeth Vargas by Elizabeth Vargas

A Race Runner Baja 1000 the rider Kurt Caselli, died this afternoon in an accident that occurred near the highway 94 km Ensenada San Felipe, at the height of Santa Catarina.

The Director Municipal Civil Protection Julio Cesar Obregon Angulo confirmed the event that just began circulating on social networks around 21:00.

International SCORE information has not yet confirmed the death, indicates that Caselli disputed the lead with Honda.

Apparently the motorcyclist had an accident alone, to lose control of the unit and the fall killed.

Caselli was the winner of the qualification phase in Class 22 only on Wednesday.

Kurt Caselli according to Agpnoticias sports portal, was the leading candidate to end the reign of Honda in its category, next to Ensenada Ivan Ramirez, Mike Brown and Kendall Norman.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl...

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by bajaguy]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 08:35 AM
This was too young for this guy to go

bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 08:47 AM

Crappy news........... RIP

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 08:56 AM

So very sad!

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 09:01 AM

Very sad for his family. :no:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 09:16 AM

Seems a rather sanitized version, compared to some of the other things I've read.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Seems a rather sanitized version, compared to some of the other things I've read.

ya, news articles said he was murdered by spectators that set a "booby trap."

i guess the racers have long known that spectators set booby traps, and racers know the risks they take, but seems that spectator high jinks had result of murder.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 10:07 AM

what was the booby trap?
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

i guess the racers have long known that spectators set booby traps, and racers know the risks they take, but seems that spectator high jinks had result of murder.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 10:12 AM

"Information regarding the incident is still somewhat vague, but it’s been widely reported that the factory-backed KTM rider hit a man-made 'booby trap' at mile marker 796 (of the 883.1-mile race) while leading and while involved in a close battle with the eventual winning JCR Honda Team."

http://www.cyclenews.com/221/22610/Racing-Article/R-I-P--Kur...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 10:15 AM

From Bryce Stavron
https://www.facebook.com/bryce.stavron

"Just so the air clears up, I've heard from numerous people, there was no booby trap. Kurt was an incredible rider but to anyone who has raced Baja, you know how incredibly dangerous the natural God made terrain is down there. Do not ruin the spirit of Baja racing just because you feel the need to blame it on someone. I've hit a rock in Matomi wash near San Felipe as fast as my bike would go and rode the front wheel for so long knowing if I go down it could be the end for me. Baja racing will always be one of the, if not the most dangerous form of off-road racing in the world because of the Natural terrain, mental and physical obstacles you have to overcome. Rick Johnson once said it's not about how fast you go but it's how slow you can go and still win. For this very reason he said it. Godspeed Kurt we will all miss you."

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 11:03 AM

Some buttcracks string a rope to a tree attached at the riders head height across the road then pull it tight as the rider approaches,
such a sad loss.......my prayers to his family.....

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
what was the booby trap?
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

I hear the whales song
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 11:11 AM

Just before 2:00 AM, my local time, SCORE shut off their audio feed from "Weatherman Diablo", they had just finished setting up another station called "Weatherman North" and about the time that the 1X and 2X were passing Mike's, it was reported that a big iron pipe had been put across the road very near the RM where Kurt died. There were several transmissions about the pipe across the road.
The SCORE helicopter was supposed to have flown there and made sure the problem was taken care of. The next report was, 1X has passed Check point 7, then someone came on the radio and asked where the 2X was, then a few minutes later, this DELAYED (not live) re-broadcast of a microphone laying on Weatherman's desk in his motorhome was terminated by the the broadcaster, SCORE.

Note that I was also watching the LIVE finish line sports broadcaster wannabes in a different window so I knew clearly that the audio-only broadcast of Weatherman was a delay. And, David, I do know that this wasn't the "real" weatherman, but a new man. Aside from the fact that he seems many times by his language to have forgotten that his every word, to his dog, to his friends, and to himself were being streamed to the world, he seemed to do a great job of making sure he didn't get blamed for leaving someone cold in the desert all night. When he described an ATV as a "four wheeled motorcycle thingie" I got the impression he was more familiar with radio than racing, but that is not a criticism.

I very saddened today that we have lost this bright young man, but Baja has a way to go to catch up with the Isle of Man as a grim reaper of racers. There seems to be no end to the folks who are anxious to zip-on the leathers either place.

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
Some buttcracks string a rope to a tree attached at the riders head height across the road then pull it tight as the rider approaches....

That is one form...as are holes, ramps, obstacles, misplaced route markers....but this incident is yet unconfirmed.

Another world class rider lost ...a risky sport but that doesn't soften the tragedy :(

Don't believe everything you think....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 11:15 AM

Does that really clear the air? Numerous news accounts and racing websites reporting it and "numerous people" denying it, according to one person's Facebook page?

Has a Facebook page now become a credible news source?:o

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by Hook]

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 11:41 AM
B U L L E T I N: SCORE International confirms

B U L L E T I N

SCORE International confirms tragic racing accident claims life of American desert racing star Kurt Caselli

ENSENADA, Mexico—SCORE International, a desert racing sanctioning body based in Reno, Nev., has confirmed that American motorcycle star Kurt Caselli tragically lost his life Friday as a result of injuries sustained during a late-race accident at the SCORE Baja 1000 being held in Mexico’s Baja California.
One of the best-liked and respected personalities in American desert racing, Caselli, 30, of Palmdale, Calif., died of serious trauma incurred when he apparently lost control of his KTM motorcycle in a sandy, high-speed section at approximate race-mile 792 while his team was leading in the late stages of the 883.1-mile international desert race.
The accident occurred at 4:30 p.m. PT Friday.
“Our desert racing family has lost a very special person in Kurt,” commented SCORE President Roger Norman. “Kurt was a superb racer and this is a tragedy that affects us all. We extend our deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers to the Caselli family. Their loss is immeasurable and we grieve with them.”
A multi-time AMA National Hare & Hound Champion, WORCS Champion and many-time ISDE gold medalist, Caselli was a developing international rally racer as well. In June of this year he won the Desafio Ruta 40 Rally in Argentina – in what was only his second international rally since making his debut in the Dakar Rally at the end of 2012. Caselli won two stages of the Dakar Rally this past January.
Caselli and his factory-backed KTM racing team won last year’s SCORE San Felipe 250 and finished second and third in the other two SCORE Baja races this season.

SCORE MEDIA CONTACT: Dominic Clark, dominiccnv@aol.com

http://score-international.com/b-u-l-l-e-t-i-n-score-interna...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 11:46 AM

Sad news indeed.

DEP

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
B U L L E T I N

SCORE International confirms tragic racing accident claims life of American desert racing star Kurt Caselli

ENSENADA, Mexico—SCORE International, a desert racing sanctioning body based in Reno, Nev., has confirmed that American motorcycle star Kurt Caselli tragically lost his life Friday as a result of injuries sustained during a late-race accident at the SCORE Baja 1000 being held in Mexico’s Baja California.
One of the best-liked and respected personalities in American desert racing, Caselli, 30, of Palmdale, Calif., died of serious trauma incurred when he apparently lost control of his KTM motorcycle in a sandy, high-speed section at approximate race-mile 792 while his team was leading in the late stages of the 883.1-mile international desert race.
The accident occurred at 4:30 p.m. PT Friday.
“Our desert racing family has lost a very special person in Kurt,” commented SCORE President Roger Norman. “Kurt was a superb racer and this is a tragedy that affects us all. We extend our deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers to the Caselli family. Their loss is immeasurable and we grieve with them.”
A multi-time AMA National Hare & Hound Champion, WORCS Champion and many-time ISDE gold medalist, Caselli was a developing international rally racer as well. In June of this year he won the Desafio Ruta 40 Rally in Argentina – in what was only his second international rally since making his debut in the Dakar Rally at the end of 2012. Caselli won two stages of the Dakar Rally this past January.
Caselli and his factory-backed KTM racing team won last year’s SCORE San Felipe 250 and finished second and third in the other two SCORE Baja races this season.

SCORE MEDIA CONTACT: Dominic Clark, dominiccnv@aol.com

http://score-international.com/b-u-l-l-e-t-i-n-score-interna...

The way SCORE handled this LIVE last night leaves me feeling that this report is about as dependable as something on Facebook. If you were listening and watching last night, you couldn't have missed this little problem that the SCORE stream chose to ignore. The 1X and 2X had been a hundred miles from the finish line and a minute apart, and when the 2nd. place bike crossed the finish line, SCORE publicly decided to not even comment on the fact that the FIRST place bike was missing!

If they didn't already know that they had a disaster that they didn't want to spoil their party, wouldn't someone have raised the question that 2X might have had a mechanical breakdown, or run out of gas, or got lost. NOPE, they just pretended that nothing happened for hours after that.

For balance, I've been reading comments from Mexican citizens living in Baja California who aren't race fans. It is not at all uncommon to hear that, especially the environmentalists, and people who have to drive on the dirt roads when the race is over, would appreciate it if the gringos would move their race to their own country. Put another way, consider how UNLIKELY it would be for a boobie trap to be put across a road if thousands of Mexicans descended on rural Mississippi and held a very dangerous race on the public roads. It wouldn't be boobie traps folks, our racists would likely use IEDs.

To paraphrase on Mexican poster, "Baja California isn't your back yard, it is where we live."

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 12:17 PM

"Early reports that the crash was related to an on-course booby trap or other sabotage have been discredited, though an investigation is underway."

http://xgames.espn.go.com/rally-moto-x/article/9984830/motoc...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 12:27 PM

No booby trap, from what I hear.

All I can say it was an eerie feeling hearing the Weatherman channel say that Kurt's Spot/GPS was not moving. As we climbed down out of the mountains east of San Q, the sun was setting, it grew very dark, and the longer everyone listened on the radio, the clearer the picture became, that something was not right.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 12:45 PM

My thoughts on this tragedy..
Kurt left this world doing something he loved, and no one can take that away from him..
SCORE’s “live” commentator for these races has fallen way short on his knowledge of the racers, their vehicles, and history surrounding this great event.. Roger Norman’s SCORE has got to able to get out front of his broadcast and tracking information if this new page of SCORE is going to succeed.. This guy has been the discussed on many Offroad sites for his poor commentary at these races..
Racing down here in Baja has grown to a “tourist industry” , bring a lot of money into the local economy for all the cities and small towns along the route.. The true Baja Racer has been able to enjoy his or her time down here, and leave with great memories and friends when these races are over..

Kurt.. Va Con Dios...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.