Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Dengue Fever
measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 07:13 AM
Dengue Fever

In our other neighborhood, El Tule that is between Cabo & San Jose someone came down with this fever. Are other parts of Baja having issues with this?
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 07:35 AM

Los Barriles, Buena Vista. There has been a few deaths
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 07:39 AM

I had it last month, no fun at all.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 07:53 AM

After heavy downpours, like we had here in the Loreto area, dengue fever is always a concern, and authorities warn people
to take anti mosquito measures to minimize the chance of contracting this serious disease.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I had it last month, no fun at all.

In Honduras, we all called Dengue Fever, Bone Break Fever. I hope you are fully recovered!

If those mosquitoes are around you cannot take too many precautions.
measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 11:04 AM

I understand Deet is best to combat the chite.. What is the best product that contains Deet?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by measomsan
I understand Deet is best to combat the chite.. What is the best product that contains Deet?

Lots of products contain deet and it is probably the best. But I hate using it unless absolutely necessary.

Some other precautions are important like sleeping under a net, and or having fans running all night. Citronella candles outside on the patio work fairly well. Check all screens for small holes.

The lots of things that work for different people, like sticking a Bounce Sheet in your pocket, eating garlic, taking lots of Vitamin B. None of those things work for me, but they do for others.

Also, Avon's Skin So Soft, if you can stand the smell. :-)
JAG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by measomsan

Deet can be found in almost all sporting goods stores up to 100%
We have found that a good mosquito repellent containing Deet at atleast 50% when mixed with Skin so Soft from Avon at 50/50 mixture works great.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 11:27 AM

Got this at WalMart, camping section, 95% Deet:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 11:40 AM

Knowledge and liberal application of that knowledge is one of the best preventatives of mosquito-born illnesses, I think.

The public health agencies here in Baja Sur educate the public and urge us to eliminate the breeding ground of mosquitos. They send a representative around door-to-door who have the authority to look at homes' black water systems. They distribute small packets of powdered calcium carbonate to sprinkle on open cisterns.

This year the Municipality of Mulege county-wide is not spraying the air from a truck as it's believe to be ineffective, hence they're encouraging individuals to eliminate the source of mosquitos in their homes. However, the black water tank exhaust pipe of almost every home is open and unscreened which allows free access in and out of the cisterns. In my neighborhood I have the only screened cistern. This cost only a few pesos to buy a quarter meter of screen from the hardware store and tie it over the standing pvc pipe; I wish the health department would require this measure.

Mulege's dirty little secret: Unfortunately, the black water treatment system for Nuevo Mulege is open and dumping raw sewage out onto the ground. That's the new subdivision of houses and relocated Ceccyt, the college prep school a couple miles south of town. I discovered this just last Friday when I took my daughter to school and went in the back untraveled dirt road. I had to drive right through the black, stinky mess! Not only is it a horrible bacterial stew but it's a prime breeding ground of mosquitos!

The kids knew all about it, said it had been that way "forever". You can be sure that I'm making a formal report to the town delegado and the health department and will include photos!
While I'm at it I'll include a report of the unscreened pvc pipes, too. I'll involve my 17-year old daughter in this project, so she'll see how the system works, or doesn't, and so she'll realize that she has a voice in society.

[Edited on 11-17-2013 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 11:42 AM
Cheap protection

For battling those nasty Canadian mosquitos I found the best and cheapest solution is the original, brownish, Listerine. Just put it in a spay bottle and spray everyone, especially kids, down. The nasty blood suckers won't even land on you.

Bob Durrell
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 12:02 PM

This is the best stuff:

3M Ultrathon.

Tons of Deet.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Ultrathon/Produc...

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 12:07 PM

Maybe you should educate the public about the use of screens and how economical and effective such a small adjustment to their systems would be. When I did my social service in Zorillo, a small rural area of Ensenada, all of the septic tanks were full and the run off was continuous from the hills into the main road, there was always a concurrent "river" paralleling the main road that reeked constantly, I made many complaints to the city and town but nothing was ever done.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Knowledge and liberal application of that knowledge is one of the best preventatives of mosquito-born illnesses, I think.

The public health agencies here in Baja Sur educate the public and urge us to eliminate the breeding ground of mosquitos. They send a representative around door-to-door who have the authority to look at homes' black water systems. They distribute small packets of powdered calcium carbonate to sprinkle on open cisterns.

This year the Municipality of Mulege county-wide is not spraying the air from a truck as it's believe to be ineffective, hence they're encouraging individuals to eliminate the source of mosquitos in their homes. However, the black water tank exhaust pipe of almost every home is open and unscreened which allows free access in and out of the cisterns. In my neighborhood I have the only screened cistern. This cost only a few pesos to buy a quarter meter of screen from the hardware store and tie it over the standing pvc pipe; I wish the health department would require this measure.

Mulege's dirty little secret: Unfortunately, the black water treatment system for Nuevo Mulege is open and dumping raw sewage out onto the ground. That's the new subdivision of houses and relocated Ceccyt, the college prep school a couple miles south of town. I discovered this just last Friday when I took my daughter to school and went in the back untraveled dirt road. I had to drive right through the black, stinky mess! Not only is it a horrible bacterial stew but it's a prime breeding ground of mosquitos!

The kids knew all about it, said it had been that way "forever". You can be sure that I'm making a formal report to the town delegado and the health department and will include photos!
While I'm at it I'll include a report of the unscreened pvc piles, too.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 02:13 PM

I heard Friday on 97.5FM radio station there are something around 640 cases of dengue in Baa Sur so far this year.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 02:16 PM

Dengue Fever is a virus and can have very mild symptoms. However, Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever is a severe complication but fortunately can be treated successfully in over 90% of the cases. A virus does not respond to antibiotics, so treatment of symptoms is the only way to go when affected.

Prevention is the key and in Third World countries that is almost an impossible task.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
I heard Friday on 97.5FM radio station there are something around 640 cases of dengue in Baa Sur so far this year.
Those are just the reported cases. I think most people (like me) don't bother to go to the doctor when they get it. There's really not much you can do except get rest and stay hydrated.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Those are just the reported cases. I think most people (like me) don't bother to go to the doctor when they get it. There's really not much you can do except get rest and stay hydrated.

So, how did you know it was dengue and not just a flue virus? Self diagnose??.. and a case of Pacifico to stay hydrated??

:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
correct most do not report it like I did not 8 years or so ago. But what you can do is do a reverse on it and from the hemorrhagic cases and deaths you can figure out how many people had it. The hemorrhagic cases go to the hospital or doctor in general and obviously the deaths are reported.

I can not remember the exact mortality rates or hemorrhagic rates but depending on which of the i think 4 strains are present something like .01 to .04 percent mortality rate with one strain being a bit more aggressive. Our doctor may know the numbers.

Then if there are two strains around the mortality rate goes up to 1-4 percent for a second infection (a second strain) in a season or for 5 years I believe. That is why you do not want your first case with a low mortality rate and you do want to be tested to know which strain you had so if another is in the area again in the 5-7 years you may want to take a vacation or be much more aggressive in protection. It puts you are a high risk if the second one comes around.

I am a mosquito magnet and any deet works for me, I have been bit many times in LaPaz even at the movie theater so I put on deet before going to a movie.

This AE mosquito is known as an ankle biter, so in general you can be well protected by just deeting your lower legs and ankles.

Here is my mosquito thread:
http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/f24-mosquitoes-how-to-stop-...

and there is some great news in the works for stopping dengue with a bacteria ( a common bacteria in many bugs, but not in AE mosquitos), I think they have one more major test to do in a country that they have to breed these infected AE mosquitoes to infect the others and then they will be doing this around the world. It takes about two years to breed enough of them for the local environment to do the tests.

bacteria link

[Edited on 11-18-2013 by laventana]

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 06:02 PM
got it

I have it right now. Day 6. I have not slept since its onset.
At the clinic in TS they told me that over 100 cases have come through their doors this year.
If you want to know what death feels like give me a shout

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 06:27 PM

What are the symptoms??? I have had an all over itch and eye infections for several weeks..Think its shingles but dunno...

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.