Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Camp Stove
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 11:40 PM
Camp Stove

Pretty interesting camp stove made from an aluminum can and uses rubbing alcohol for fuel:

http://www.realfarmacy.com/how-to-turn-a-beer-can-into-campi...
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 12:26 AM

Cool! Wonder how it would work if you only had drinking alcohol to use rather than medical alcohol.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 06:54 AM
stoves that work !!

Now days it seems the wanna bee's that buy for outdoor/camping store's don't have a clue....All propane!!.....1st off should be a COLEMAN 533 Dual Fuel.....Hot and a worker.....2nd...A MSR Wisper light that runs kerosene to white gas....and will simmer....3rd...a EMBERLITE,,,wood burning camp stove that I got a few months ago with great reviews...looks like it should work Great!!!!!!! But,,Alas,,,I have not Fired it up yet...but it sets up in second and I have stood on it with one (1) foot with all my weight 155lbs and no problem....and If your looking for a hot shower....forget the solar bags....what a joke !! wait all day and then its too cold or too hot and no pressure...get a "ZODI" single burner and when the battery pump fails after a year,,,go & get a 12 volt boat bilge pump to run off your car/truck/boat and always have a portable HOT shower on demand.......Yes,,,, I too started off with a solar hot water bag/shower...But..I'm now outa the cave & into the 21st century....."Get A Grip!!!""
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 07:41 AM

Backin the day iwould use a empty c rat cae put some sand and gas in it to heat my beans and weeneys in Viet Nam
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 07:48 AM

The beer can stove originated with the ultra-lite hikers. Many sites on the internet have info and some vendors sell them. I have made several, they are very light. Some problems are the affect of wind, and the fact that you cannot see the flame easily in the day. They do work well with their limitations. Have used Whisperlites for years, gasoline leaks in pack, heavy if you are ultralite, dirty from carbon. The little wood-burning stoves with a AA battery fan are great, but are illegal in the High Sierra (limited wood material). Propane/isobutane work, but are a pain when cold due to low pressure unless you sleep with the cannister. Then there are solid fuels like Esbit, has its own problems. Some ultra-lite hikers simply don't cook, reducing pack weight another pound or so.
ccorbridge

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 07:54 AM

here's a review I did on some ultralight wood burning stoves back in my backpacking days.
http://ccorbridge.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/wood-burning-stov...

click on the stove names for links to more info

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abraham Lincoln

My blog
http://ccorbridge.wordpress.com/
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 08:01 AM
Beer cans

I use them to boil crawdads and fresh water eel !!!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Now days it seems the wanna bee's that buy for outdoor/camping store's don't have a clue....All propane!!.....1st off should be a COLEMAN 533 Dual Fuel.....Hot and a worker.....2nd...A MSR Wisper light that runs kerosene to white gas....and will simmer....3rd...a EMBERLITE,,,wood burning camp stove that I got a few months ago with great reviews...looks like it should work Great!!!!!!! But,,Alas,,,I have not Fired it up yet...but it sets up in second and I have stood on it with one (1) foot with all my weight 155lbs and no problem....and If your looking for a hot shower....forget the solar bags....what a joke !! wait all day and then its too cold or too hot and no pressure...get a "ZODI" single burner and when the battery pump fails after a year,,,go & get a 12 volt boat bilge pump to run off your car/truck/boat and always have a portable HOT shower on demand.......Yes,,,, I too started off with a solar hot water bag/shower...But..I'm now outa the cave & into the 21st century....."Get A Grip!!!""

This is funny-----we are all so different. Unless backpacking, I use a 3-gal. propane bottle with a "tree" on top of it, and have my Primous propane 2-burner stove running off one side-port, my 1-mantle backpack lantern on the top of the "tree", and my heater on the other side-port of the "tree", all going simultaneously-----and love it.

My wife and I have used a 3-gallon "sun shower" for 30 years, finding that they work great and always provide us with what we want in the way of a shower, but yes, you have to plan ahead and time it right to get the right water temp... The 5-gallon sun showers are just too heavy for us to hang up, and use more water than we really need. We hang the sunshower off the side & top of our camper (8 feet above ground)-----works perfectly!!! (We normally camp in the boonies, not in RV parks, so privacy is not an issue).

Barry
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 09:22 AM
CAMP STOVE

I have used a #3 can with a roll of Toilet Paper Soaked in Alcohol it puts off a lot of heat and burns slow.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 11:48 AM
Hola senior BARRY

As I understand you have spent a bit of time out in the woods
!! ...but for me as a a guy that spends most of my life out there I can Say with Conviction that "coleman" lanterns SUCK !! 12Volt leds rock and solid fuel like gasaline/wood/ kerosene/diesel/carbon and a real hot shower first thing in the morn is the way to GO !!! anyone with a solar shower and thinks that's the only way to go has not been out there very much....and for the beer cans I been boiling crawdads in them since I was a kid....Wait a minute....I'm Still a kid...folks ask "where did you grow up?" Reply " I never Did""!!:bounce:
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
anyone with a solar shower and thinks that's the only way to go has not been out there very much....

Au contraire, Capt. I HAVE been out there a lot and there's nothing better for me, after a day of hiking, than bathing au naturel with my solar shower. It's also great for dish washing!

:lol::lol::lol:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 12:30 PM
OK..

AS a guy that USED to do solar showers>>> I have found much better ways...And To start a day with a hot shower IS........????
danaeb
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
AS a guy that USED to do solar showers>>> I have found much better ways...And To start a day with a hot shower IS........????

....a LOT more expensive than my solar shower in the afternoon. ZODI - $142 plus S/H, and the propane to heat it.

My solar shower - $22.00 plus sunlight.

As Barry says, it's all a matter of opinion. I prefer a smaller footprint when I camp.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
The beer can stove originated with the ultra-lite hikers. Many sites on the internet have info and some vendors sell them. I have made several, they are very light. Some problems are the affect of wind, and the fact that you cannot see the flame easily in the day. They do work well with their limitations. Have used Whisperlites for years, gasoline leaks in pack, heavy if you are ultralite, dirty from carbon. The little wood-burning stoves with a AA battery fan are great, but are illegal in the High Sierra (limited wood material). Propane/isobutane work, but are a pain when cold due to low pressure unless you sleep with the cannister. Then there are solid fuels like Esbit, has its own problems. Some ultra-lite hikers simply don't cook, reducing pack weight another pound or so.

Now that's extreme backpacking---no hot coffee!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 05:13 PM
"WHAT NO COFFEE???"

...LOL..Buddys son just should up with Toyota parts,,,,,forgot my Point>>>>:lol:..but,,,get a coleman 533 DUAL FUEL and be Happy !!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 07:17 PM

Yes, These stoves have been around for years.5.5 mins to boil H2O is to long for me. Car camping and backpacking demand different stoves. With Backpacking Are you going to cook or heat H2O? Weekend or week or expedition?
For auto camp we carry the Solar Shower and a Hudson can. We preheat the H2O in the Solar Shower load the Hudson on the modified Coleman V-5 and heat the rest of the way. DO NOT OVER HEAT! Put the pump on and hot showers for all. Place a couple of towels around the Hudson before your session and you'll have a hot/warm water bath when you get out. I converted to Propane on all my auto camping and have not looked back. LED's are also a god send.

Captkw, you do not have the only monopoly on time outdoors. There are others on this board that get out also. The reason you may like or dislike something is the same reason others do not.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 07:39 PM
mmc

hOLA,,great RESPONE.....OOOPS....damn caps...when you spend a life as a Traveler......back to the show....(small dog issue) umm,,lets see...How many folks from the US

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by captkw]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 08:04 PM

Traveler.Yes, some of us know the difference. Adventure can be a pursuit and calling.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 08:14 PM

StoveTek rocket and Solar stoves work for me but that's certainly not backpacking.

Solar shower made from pesticide sprayer painted black with shower nozzle on it has become my preference over the solar showers I used before.

Again, not real portable. Need a vehicle.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 08:47 PM

Oh, does this bring back memories. My first camping solar shower was a five gallon sparkletts water bottle propped in the crotch of a tree, fitted with one of those old red rubber shower sprayers. The "shower stall" was a private enclosure: heavy duty black plastic wrapped around pine saplings, with a wooden pallet for the shower floor.

And I still love rough camping after all these years. My coleman stove and lanterns are over 30 years old, and I also still enjoy replacing the silk mantles.

To each his own....

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.