Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Camp Stove
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 09:02 PM

I refuse to believe that that beer can stove can heat a liter of water in 5.5 minutes. The Whisperlites are the kings for that and they are slightly less than that, as I recall.

But, my God, they are expensive now. They were 1/2 what they were in the 90s. Probably made in China now, so MSR is making a killing!!

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Oh, does this bring back memories. My first camping solar shower was a five gallon sparkletts water bottle propped in the crotch of a tree, fitted with one of those old red rubber shower sprayers. The "shower stall" was a private enclosure: heavy duty black plastic wrapped around pine saplings, with a wooden pallet for the shower floor.

To each his own....

Ooh! You be stylin with that outfit.

I just kind of hide nekkid behind the van with a big beach towel within reach.

Only got busted once and we became good friends after that so I guess it's a way to meet people also. (The Slabs)
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 09:17 PM

Go here:

http://www.instructables.com/

and plug in camp stove.

You'll probably get a gazillion hits on how to make your own.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 12:04 AM

Those solar bag showers seem to work better on the cortez side than the pacific. It's not that the water doesn't reach a warm temperature. it does. It's the wind. Warm water quickly chills you when a wind blows over your wet skin. My last experience was behind the wall at the cemetery at San Roques. Could not find a spot that was completely protected and came back to the camper shivering but refreshed (it was worth it, marginally). That was in 2004, before asuncion became a gringo magnet.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:57 AM
HEAT !!

The Coleman 533 Dual fuel single burner is a HOT stove..boil a pot of water under 3 minutes....but does not simmer very well....the MSR "wisper lite" is good for low heat (simmer) cooking.......I,myself , I f not fishing like to start the day off with a hot shower !! and a "ZODI" does that well !!!A "coleman" lantern is noisey,,,fragile,,,,you cant see anything but the white light itself and all bugs for next mile are soon at your talbe..and thoses pesky mantles that break,break,break and to add insult you have to refill and pump to mantain pressure.........for car/boat camping,,,, speaker wire with orange trailer clearance ligkts work well for me and if you have tried them....your missing the boat !!!~each to their own!!!!
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 09:27 AM

Nice to see a good thread on camping...I stopped using Whisperlite when I went light-weight. Have worn out 3 of them over the years. Having gasoline fuel available when camping in the snow/wet/cold is invaluable to start a fire with wet wood and when you are seriously fatigued. The propane canisters or alcohol won't serve that purpose. I still have a whisperlite with the gasoline fuel for those late season (Oct/Nov) backpacking trips which also include all down bags, jackets, 4 season tent, etc.

I also don't understand how one can wake up in the morning without a hot cup of coffee.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
The Coleman 533 Dual fuel single burner is a HOT stove..boil a pot of water under 3 minutes....but does not simmer very well....the MSR "wisper lite" is good for low heat (simmer) cooking.......I,myself , I f not fishing like to start the day off with a hot shower !! and a "ZODI" does that well !!!A "coleman" lantern is noisey,,,fragile,,,,you cant see anything but the white light itself and all bugs for next mile are soon at your talbe..and thoses pesky mantles that break,break,break and to add insult you have to refill and pump to mantain pressure.........for car/boat camping,,,, speaker wire with orange trailer clearance ligkts work well for me and if you have tried them....your missing the boat !!!~each to their own!!!!

My experience:

Stopped using clear glass on my propane lanterns years ago--------use only amber glass now------easy on the eyes, and attracts fewer flying critters. Amber glass globes are hard to find, but you can if you look on-line carefully, and take care not to break them. If you use the type propane lanterns that the mantles attach both top and bottom they seem to last forever. Never broken one yet. Propane lanterns make almost no noise at all, and actually I kinda like the faint noise lanterns make.

We are 'evening showerers' so that helps when using solar showers. And after dark you don't even need a shower-shelter as nobody is paying any attention to you anyway on the back side of the tent or camper.

We try and keep is as simple as possible.

Barry
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Propane lanterns make almost no noise at all, and actually I kinda like the faint noise lanterns make.

I have to agree with this comment. The hissing lantern is an endearing part of the baja experience.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 06:19 PM

As long as we're on the camping thread, anyone have a favorite choice of sleeping pad for backpacking? Therma-rest? REI brand? Those Neoair Xlites look like the bomb but kinda pricey....my aging body doesn't like the old insulite pads anymore.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 07:43 PM

For auto camping Therma-rest 2" or 2.5 thick, not cheap but so comfy and durable. For backpacking I like the .5 or .75 thick, they don't show the one I use it is a 10 years old. If in the snow closed cell foam. I have used Therma-rest brand for many, many, years. I love them.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

rufflife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:02 PM

I switched from the Therma-rest brand over to the Exped Synmat UL 7 for backpacking. Definitely worth the price! Takes up very little room, weighs next to nothing, and is super comfortable! REI and other outdoor stores often have sales this time of year.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:14 PM
Camp gear..

The Thermarest (green) 2.5 IN Camp Deluxe model is The best air mat that I have seen yet!!! and the ex would float around the lake all day ....Myself Don't care for REI..overpriced and no time with boots on the ground...Yupppies...So where would someone try the unit your talking about ????
rufflife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:28 PM

I agree - REI is not what it once was. I ended up getting my Exped off Amazon, but that was after spending time talking to a friend about their Exped when we were on a backpacking trip. I never did look for it in stores, though I am guessing a lot of the bigger outdoor chains carry them. I have used my Exped in Baja, on snow camping trips, and on backpacking trips.

I do not mean to disparage Thermarest in any way. It just is no longer for me after finding the Exped. I am a side-sleeper and the thickness of the Exped definitely helps with the hips. Here is the link to the Exped site. I have the Medium sized Exped. http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-ul-... They do not lie when they say this pad packs down to the size of a water bottle!

[Edited on 11-20-2013 by rufflife]
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:49 PM

The Neoair (sm) is 8 oz. Takes me 20 breaths to blow up (not self inflating). Quite strong material, so far 2 seasons, no leaks. It is not like a regular Thermarest pad, but you are supported on air that moves like an air mattress. You are insulated from the cold ground, but its big asset is weight and very small size when packed. Probably a compromise of some comfort for light pack weight. My regular short Thermarest is more comfortable, but relegated to car camping.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:53 PM

yah-REI gotta wait for the sales for sure. The Exped looks nice.
rufflife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 09:00 PM

The Exped is nice and sales can definitely be found this time of year - Especially since newer versions of all ultra light equipment seems to evolve each year. They have also created a mini hand pump for the Exped UL 7. This is nice because they you aren't blowing moist air into the pad (where bacteria can grow).

Not every sleep pad is for every person... This is just one I have personally come to love. Thicker pads are definitely more of a must-have for side sleepers. The Exped is also thick enough that you can adjust the inflation to make it soft, or more firm. Nothing wrecks a trip (camping...backpacking) faster than lack of sleep.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 03:15 AM
Rufflife

Hola,, thanks for the link...I guess I have to do some phone calling around here and try and lie down on one....today I have a Chinese knock off and miss my thermarest "camp deluxe" but will check out these if they are in a store anywhere around here..also a side sleeper and like the "padding" till the dog pushes me off in the middle of the night !!:bounce:
rufflife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 06:30 AM

Uh-oh... Dogs can be an issue with the Exped. Mine keep trying to take my Exped over and leave me on the ground! The problem is that there are two of them, and only one of me. That means I usually lose.:rolleyes:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 08:28 AM

The head of the local REI and I have climbed to the tops of many mountains and rock together. Spent a week doing mixed route in Canada a long time ago. He does know his stuff, but some of him staff believe marketing BS. A16 is a very good store for quality products they have store in San Diego and online. The best place to buy boots it will take a least 1 hour to fit you. I tend to buy close out and last years models as I am a slave to fashion :light::light::light:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 11:22 AM
REI

In june for my B-day I walked into the REI..with 4K cash in my pocket to by more camp gear...after about 30 mins. I walked out without buying anything...I am not impressed with their stove section at all!! only one lig fuel (MSR) and all the rest canister gas...not one unleaded stove and/or wood burning camp stove....any one here seen/use a Emberlite wood camp stove ???....K&T...:cool:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.