Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Rough camping safety
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 10:17 PM

Well Gulliver, if you are looking for total security, you won't find it anywhere. We once had our whole camp stolen, tents, sleeping bags, stove, cooler, etc. from a campground on the Rogue river while we were out kayaking for the day. You need to have a security plan wherever you are camping.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 11:09 PM

Im like udo, been camping all over baja for years, mostly in remote places, usually by ourselves, never had anything stolen. I accidently left the door of my Jeep open (not unlocked, standing open) all afternoon on Saturday in the parking lot of the desert inn in San Quintin, nothing was touched.

My dad and I just got back form New Mexico, went there to pick up my camper so that I could take it down to baja. We stayed at a very nice Mariott hotel with great security, 2 vehicles were broken into while we were there.

I will be on the road in Baja tomorrow, not going to worry about losing anything, I know it can happen anywhere, guess i've been lucky so far, probably going to be lucky again tomorrow....or maybe not. Either way I'm not going to let the possibility of theft keep me from enjoying life, if somebody wants my stuff I guess they can have it, I don't have anything worth fighting over......

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
....., if somebody wants my stuff I guess they can have it, I don't have anything worth fighting over......

Cool....can I have your 525 ? :biggrin::biggrin:

I will be in your barrio in late December/early January....just leave the gate open and some gas in the tank :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 06:36 AM

Sleeping in my VW van off street in an area outside Kino Bay, curtains drawn all around, I heard some voices outside and soon my unsecured wing window was opening...a small arm extended in and the hand attached was groping around for the door handle.
Slowly sitting up I reached out and grabbed the arm about the size of an eight year old and held it just long enough to hear a fearful scream and loud crying erupt from the owner as the sound of many small feet running off filled the night air. I let go and the solo owner was last heard crying in Spanish as his feet fled through the night.
Took me an hour to stop chuckling long enough to get back to sleep.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
....., if somebody wants my stuff I guess they can have it, I don't have anything worth fighting over......

Cool....can I have your 525 ? :biggrin::biggrin:

I will be in your barrio in late December/early January....just leave the gate open and some gas in the tank :lol:

I'll probably be riding the 525, take the 690....you'll have to fix a flat tire first, new tube on the shelf, don't bring it back empty....:bounce::bounce:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 07:36 AM

As the 70s and 80s whizzed by it was harder and harder to find a place, a beach down here where I could be alone. I used to quip that the charm of Baja and the highway were bringing an end to my paradise and I may have to create some kind of bad publicity --- I would rape a gaggle of nuns and make sure I got away clean and the event was well publicized.

I was young enough then that I may have been able to pull that off (a small gaggle) but it would have been a messy affair at best. About all I could do now would be to steal their undergarments and hope for spectacular press.

No worries for my solitude nowdays for there is fear abundant across the land -- of everything, all the time, everywhere while it remains very quiet here in my own little cactus playground down south with less tourists every month and just a few enterprising pick pocket police just doing what they do in each little hamlet.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 07:47 AM

Driving to your campsite is much more dangerous than being at your campsite. =)

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:42 AM

Gulliver, You asked, we answered. Both my place in the USA and Baja have been broken into. I lost a lot more the USA, because of the personal treasures that were lost, is why I say it's just stuff. Baja is a great place to vacation in and you should go.
You do not know anybody on this board, so why should you believe us anyway. There are a lot more gringos going south then say 3 years ago. I hope you change your mind. Is it safe, yes. Is it without risk, no.
Look at sunrises Russ post if you need some inspiration.

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 08:56 AM

One great thing about our area of central pacific baja is that the vigilancia patrols for the cooperativas cover the entire coast every day making it a safe place to camp. It really discourages bad guys as they know the beaches are being patrolled and they watch any new vehicles in the area to see what they are up to...and if something happens to you or your vehicle, you know someone is going to pass by at some point.

Once we were camping in a very remote area north of here and at dark we saw two sets of headlights racing down the arroyo towards us...we were kinda nervous and Juan told me to get in the tent. The 2 trucks sped up and I admit I was scared...turns out it was the vigilancia who was also scared because they thought we were armed narcos waiting for a pick up at that beach.

We were all glad we knew each other and had a beer together laughing about it. Now when we camp, we advise the vigilancia where we will be so they dont bother us and dont have to come and check us out.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
As the 70s and 80s whizzed by it was harder and harder to find a place, a beach down here where I could be alone. I used to quip that the charm of Baja and the highway were bringing an end to my paradise and I may have to create some kind of bad publicity --- I would rape a gaggle of nuns and make sure I got away clean and the event was well publicized.

I was young enough then that I may have been able to pull that off (a small gaggle) but it would have been a messy affair at best. About all I could do now would be to steal their undergarments and hope for spectacular press.

No worries for my solitude nowdays for there is fear abundant across the land -- of everything, all the time, everywhere while it remains very quiet here in my own little cactus playground down south with less tourists every month and just a few enterprising pick pocket police just doing what they do in each little hamlet.

Nun's undergarments????? Boy you do have a creative mind. I don't think I've ever even thought about nun's undergarments before. :o:o:o

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
So how about these teasers about troubles at Catavina and being a good idea to park where your lights can't be seen from the road? I'd rather not be woken up in the night by some drunk. Any recent hassles?

It bugs me sooo much since the vast majority of the locals are so nice.

Mike

I have not heard these troubles in Catavina? I usually stop and camp in the Rocks for the night and feel it's pretty safe as long as you are out of sight of the highway and keep a low profile. The nearest town with any population is 50+ miles away .
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 10:26 AM

Rough camping is safe... go where you can't be seen from the highway and better still, if the road requires 4WD.

As Mama Espinoza said, once the highway was finished in late 1973:

Bad Roads bring Good People...

Good Roads bring 'All Kinds' of People.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 11:12 AM

i had to give up my love of (relative) solitude and beach camping for a "dusty old trailer park" because of increasing crime in south Conception Bay. Was always watchful, even to the point of 'hypervigilance' (symptom of my PTSD). But unfortunately, desperate times have lead to desperate measures, and with tourism down almost 80% the length of the Peninsula the theft crimes have increased exponentially. Especially when the thieves are brothers or cousins of the local pollicia who could give two sheeits about you and your stuff.

And like was also posted, i'm too damned old to sleep on the ground any more, so am in a rustic 'community' (Gringolandia). I had to give up my favorite place on earth because it finally made me feel i was back in The War, and Chuck (sowwy, Chuck) was out in the bush watching me, waiting for that one misstep or opportunity, and i lost that 'lovin' feelin'.

Also, notice culturally that most if not all Pueblas you drive through in Baja as well as the mainlands have bars on the windows. I could never, nor will ever live in a community where i have to lock myself inside a jail cell to protect myself from the 'outside element' of crime again. I found a li'l hamlet in southern New Mexico that's NOT without its' share of crimes, plenty of Tweakers abound, but not where i bought my li'l plot of comfort... and if it ever comes closer i'll sell and move again until i find a place to be able to TRY to let that '3rd-eye' rest a while.

Even in our spot, there have been 2 motors stolen off Americano's boats this year, here in our RV camp. There have been thefts on private properties in the Puebla too (yes, and in San Diego, Salt Lake City and Sheboigan). The problem is IMHO that the bad press of all the cartel-related murders (most of whom are druggies killing rival druggies) has caused the mass casualties of tourism nationwide here. So desperate times have led to desperate measures, but in an impoverished nation thievery will abound no matter what. If it worries you that much, stay home. If you have to ask if you can afford it, chances are, you can't afford it. Never bring to or invest in Mexico what you can't afford to walk away from. However, it is truly a heartache to be ripped off, no matter where you are, from Rosarito to Rockaway. It's akin to rape, you've been violated, and it hurts.

I'm certain in my heart that the theft i endured in Conception Bay was involved with the son of the beach owner where i camped, and had been for 15 years. I knew the tyke since he was 8, and finally in his early 20's was a lazy shiftless Marijuano, and as he matured into an 'adult', the thefts on surrounding beaches including Requeson increased. One of his older brothers had to 'disappear' for a while from the area due to becoming a thief.

Stories will always abound here about things taken in the night (or worse). So will stories of those who have never been molested....... until it happens to them too.
Just keep that '3rd eye' open, use common sense, and if you love it, lock it.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 11:27 AM

It is sad when your dream is gone... But, to offer another side of the coin, just to show it isn't all bad... last year (2012) we camped at La Perla on Bahia Concepcion twice... and were the only people there on the second time, and just one other family on the first time... even the caretakers/ fishermen were gone. We had no issues with anyone, and had a great time.

Here is the second time we camped there last year:

Not a soul in sight... Just that Baja Feeling!

I think that being out-of-sight from Highway 1 has something to do with it, since the other places to camp on Concepcion can be viewed from 'above' so the vultures know they can drop in on you?

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 11:34 AM

I go places cause i like people ,and i like to be around folks and activity, when i want solitude and quite i stay home and close the door ,no matter where you are if you are not watchfull some one will take what you have .
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 11:54 AM

Great pics of my 'old homestead', DaveK. You were probably fortunate that Rosa and her youngest WEREN'T there, made it even safer. I plan on camping there again this winter, but not until i have a friend to travel with and 'hold my hand' now lol.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 11:57 AM

Well, Gulliver, like yourself and many other nomads, I, too, have had lots of experience with camping in Baja...rough and easy. So here's my donation to the campfire talk.

From my records, I've made over 40 years of trips up and down the peninsula in any manner of vehicle...cars, vans, jeeps, pickup campers, trailers, fifth wheels, motorhomes, motorcycles, & once by hitchhiking. Like all Baja vets, I've camped in the boonies, beaches, alongside the highway, in gas stations, towns, rv camps, and every spot you can imagine.

One thing I know for sure....Baja has never been free of common thefts and worries about criminals doing you harm. 'Some' police can hassle you for bribes....anywhere. I've seen and witnessed it all, including thefts and homicides. I've personally been fortunate...no serious problems so far...but I've always had great radar and always, always pay attention to my surroundings.

Now, as an old-time Baja traveler you already know the dangers that exist in rough camping...they haven't changed any since those early trips, and it's highly doubtful that they ever will. Camp if you like, use your common sense, and take precautions to protect yourself and family from harm...it's always a gamble.

Whatever and wherever you choose, Baja or the States, I hope it's great fun!

It's my belief and habit that using some levity always seems to lighten the mood of any tense situation. Here's a good story about 'rough camping':

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson were going camping. They pitched their tent under the stars and went to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes woke Watson up and said: "Watson, look up at the sky, and tell me what you see."

Watson replied: "I see millions and millions of stars."

Holmes said: "And what do you deduce from that?"

Watson replied: "Well, if there are millions of stars, and if even a few of those have planets, it’s quite likely there are some planets like Earth out there. And if there are a few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life."

And Holmes said: "Watson, you idiot, it means that somebody stole our tent."

p.s. I know that joke is an 'oldie'....but so am I!

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Well, Gulliver, like yourself and many other nomads, I, too, have had lots of experience with camping in Baja...rough and easy. So here's my donation to the campfire talk.

From my records, I've made over 40 years of trips up and down the peninsula in any manner of vehicle...cars, vans, jeeps, pickup campers, trailers, fifth wheels, motorhomes, motorcycles, & once by hitchhiking. Like all Baja vets, I've camped in the boonies, beaches, alongside the highway, in gas stations, towns, rv camps, and every spot you can imagine.

One thing I know for sure....Baja have never been free of common thefts and worries about criminals doing you harm. 'Some' police can hassle you for bribes....anywhere. I've seen and witnessed it all, including thefts and homicides. I've personally been fortunate...no serious problems so far...but I've always had great radar and always, always pay attention to my surroundings.

Now, as an old-time Baja traveler you already know the dangers that exist in rough camping...they haven't changed any since those early trips, and it's highly doubtful that they ever will. Camp if you like, use your common sense, and take precautions to protect yourself and family from harm...it's always a gamble.

Roger nailed it!!! I 100% agree.

Barry
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Sleeping in my VW van off street in an area outside Kino Bay, curtains drawn all around, I heard some voices outside and soon my unsecured wing window was opening...a small arm extended in and the hand attached was groping around for the door handle.
Slowly sitting up I reached out and grabbed the arm about the size of an eight year old and held it just long enough to hear a fearful scream and loud crying erupt from the owner as the sound of many small feet running off filled the night air. I let go and the solo owner was last heard crying in Spanish as his feet fled through the night.
Took me an hour to stop chuckling long enough to get back to sleep.

Hilarious! :lol: They were giving away mini baseball bats at a Padres game I went to and I carry mine on the floor beside my seat. It would have been perfect for a well-timed smashing of knuckles in your case. He'd think twice next time he stuck his hand inside someone's car if it had cost him a couple of weeks of use of that hand before. Would have been equally effective if you could have grabbed him and started screaming bloody murder while trying to pull him in through the window (but then you'd have to pull that off without laughing)! :lol:

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by LaPazGringo]
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-19-2013 at 04:15 PM

Osprey, I too have been camping in Baja for a few decades and always far, far in the boonies. No people, no problems. If you are going it hike or whatever for a long time, park at a rancho.

Being an Aridologist, I don't know anything about beach camping. :lol::lol::lol:
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.