BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Remembering the great ones. Who do you miss?
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 07:27 AM
Remembering the great ones. Who do you miss?

BajaLou
Perhaps the most impressive Baja person that I have ever came across. Always first in line to help out. Remembering Lou because of the coming holidays.

[Edited on 11-20-2013 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 08:06 AM

Surdoc Stan and Bernie!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 08:56 AM

Mike Humfreville. He was old school baja and loved the land about as much as anyone. David has some good pictures of him.
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 09:18 AM

Don and Ann O'Neil — Loreto icons. We miss them every day.
For Don's 80th birthday they drove their camper from Loreto to
Costa Rica and Panama. We met them there and spent a glorious week in the Corcovado jungle with them. We all rode horses on the beach for Don's bday. What a team they were! Among the most interesting people we've known.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 09:27 AM

Tio "Don" ONeil

Tio was a Graduate of Southwestern Oklahoma College A builder of Large Tanks all over the World.
Met Tio on my first trip to Loreto in 1968, We were both Masons. Tio was Past Master of a Lodge in Long Beach.

In 1972 we went together and bought the Property North of Loreto which became my Rancho Sonrisa.

We were setting on the Porch one day when Ann came walking by and Tio said I would like to meet that Woman. The rest is History as they did many things together to help the Children of Loreto.
We Fished together and Drank Scotch{Scorsby} nearly everyday !
I visited him one Day before he passed away. A good Man and Great Friend.

Skeet
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 09:34 AM
July 4, 2001, Las Flores, BCN

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Mike Humfreville. He was old school baja and loved the land about as much as anyone. David has some good pictures of him.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 09:46 AM
April 30, 2011, Arroyo El Volcán

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
BajaLou
Perhaps the most impressive Baja person that I have ever came across. Always first in line to help out. Remembering Lou because of the coming holidays.

Agree that Lou was a great Nomad... It was great to be with him on the Lost Mission Search... This was his last exploration in Baja, I believe...

'bajalou' and 'BAJACAT'

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 12:37 PM

Jimmy Smith, the "Grinning Gargoyle". Glad I met him and spent some time with him.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 12:43 PM

Talking Baja in general, not Nomad specific, a Baja
pioneer was Tony Reyes Sr., fishing boat Capt., a
San Felipe Legend, a true gentelman, used to see him at Georges in
SF. Good question Mc Fez
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 01:18 PM

Personally speaking, I miss JR. While he could be real irritating to some on this board, like so many others (David K comes to mind), in person he was a real charmer. He really cared for the people of Baja.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 01:47 PM

I hope I'm wrong with this, but I think Hose-A/Gene has joined the ranks of those to be missed.

I'll feel great if he responds to this to say I'm premature.

At any rate, I miss him here.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 06:02 PM

Myron Smith---many trips to Baja with him, storyteller par excellente, opened up the hidden parts of the peninsula to me. Myron on right, his wife Nancy in the middle, and Frank Nordhoff (grandson of Walter Nordhoff/Antonio de Fierro Blanco). Frank and Nancy are still with us, Frank is 92 yrs old now. Pic is in Palomar Canyon.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 06:07 PM

Great photo and caption Mexitron!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 06:19 PM

If we go beyond Nomads and honor all the Baja greats, we will have a big thread indeed... Baja attracts some of the coolest people on earth!

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 06:33 PM

I'd like to have known some of these guys . . .

But then, there are some yet to be buried, like Bill and Bill and Plil and . . .

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 07:12 PM

John Steinbeck and Doc Ricketts, and of course Fred Hoctor
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 08:00 PM

Oh, Steinbeck...a quote from the Sea of Cortez on the Indians at Cabo San Lucas back then:

"Their dark eyes never leave us. They ask no questions. They actually seem to be dreaming. Sometimes we asked of the Indians the local names of animals we had taken, and then they consulted together. They seemed to live on remembered things, to be related to the sea shore and the rocky hills and the loneliness that they are these things. To ask about the country is like asking about themselves. "How many toes have you? What, toes? Let's see----of course, ten. I have known them all my life, I never thought to count them. Of course it will rain tonight, I don't know why. Something in me tells me I will rain tonight. Of course, I am the whole thing, now that I think about it. I ought to know when I will rain."
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 08:03 PM
Jack Smith

"...journalist, author, and newspaper columnist who wrote about Los Angeles during its period of greatest growth and increasing influence." (From Wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Smith_%28columnist%29

"God and Mr. Gomez" was the chronicle of his adventures in Baja and building a home here.

The stories in his LA Times column and the resulting book about Baja helped create and nurture my love affair with this strange and mystical place.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
baja2013

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 08:09 PM
Old Baja Legends

Bill Alvarado, and Billy Brush...among lots of other great Baja People
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2013 at 08:21 PM

I'll never forget JR. Miss his posts and his love for everything BAJA! He left us WAY to young...

He was a great guy to meet in person!

null

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.