BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Cookbook recommendations?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 10:43 AM

I doubt I will ever buy another cookbook. I just search the internet and print out the ones that I have tried and liked. I keep a three-ring binder of them.

Bayless is great, of course. But I also like Alton Brown.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 10:45 AM
¡Baja! Cooking on the Edge

This looks interesting:

!Baja! Cooking on the Edge

"On the byways of Baja, there isn't a burrito in sight. Any day, in any town, you can choose from a vast array of made-to-order tacos and salsas, fresh-from-the-ocean seafood c-cktels, grilled corn, succulent fruits skewered with lime and chili powder, vivid fruit juices, piping-hot cinnamon churros, neon-bright candies that stick in your teeth, and frozen treats with names like Angel's Kiss…and that's just the beginning."

--from Chapter 1

Join acclaimed chef and seasoned Baja traveler Deborah Schneider for an intriguing and appetizing journey through the Baja California region of Mexico, from the dusty towns south of the U.S. border all the way down to breezy Cabo San Lucas at the peninsula's southern tip.

Featuring more than 150 tantalizing recipes as well as vivid stories and images, this deliciously unorthodox cookbook transports you to the real Baja, with all its vibrant flavor and brilliant color, a place still largely undiscovered by los turistas.

The famous Baja fish taco is here, of course, in a mixture of authentic recipes and Schneider's own Baja-inspired dishes--ingenious creations for which Bon Appétit magazine named her "the reigning queen of San Diego chefs."

No matter how far north of the border you may be, with Schneider's easy-to-follow recipes, now you can feast on uniquely Baja delights like Clams in Tequila Butter, One-Pan Paella, Garlic Cilantro Steak, and Chocolate-Jalapeño Truffles. Enjoy.

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I doubt I will ever buy another cookbook. I just search the internet and print out the ones that I have tried and liked. I keep a three-ring binder of them.

Bayless is great, of course. But I also like Alton Brown.

I'll take Brown's word for a recipe any day.
I never thought Bayless did himself any favors by picking wind-blown locations for his cooking shows. They always left me feeling like I had a mouthful of sand.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 10:50 AM
All the Books Above Are Great

I have Diana Kennedy's books and Rick Bayless' and find them very useful.

The Frida's Fiestas book is marvelous, with great, to-dream-over vintage pictures of her and Diego Rivera's home in Mexico City and the parties they hosted. The home is a museum now.

You might want to check out Cristina's blog - she is extremely knowledgeable about Mexican cooking and very responsive and helpful if contacted: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Very practical approach, but it just won't work for those of us who like to read cookbooks as if they were novels, and use them more for inspiration that exact recipes!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I have Diana Kennedy's books and Rick Bayless' and find them very useful.

I find them to be history lessons and a bunch of nonsense in today's kitchen unless someone has an Aztec fetish.
In my opinion, the most useful Mexican cookbook has always been the vintage Sunset edition. [1969]

The Sangria recipe alone is worth the effort to get the book.

http://lacocinahistorica.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/sunset-mex...

Amazon used books has them for less than a buck, plus shipping.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 12:32 PM
Hi Dennis

Where is the emotican that sticks its tongue out at you?

:lol:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Where is the emotican that sticks its tongue out at you?

:lol:

Jeeezo...I don't know. I always thought that one had heavy sexual connotations. :lol:

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 06:25 PM

That's another one I have.

This one and the two Cooking with Baja Magic are really great books if you are looking for the authentic epic recipes from all corners of Baja.

Thanks for the reminder DK!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
This looks interesting:

!Baja! Cooking on the Edge

"On the byways of Baja, there isn't a burrito in sight. Any day, in any town, you can choose from a vast array of made-to-order tacos and salsas, fresh-from-the-ocean seafood c-cktels, grilled corn, succulent fruits skewered with lime and chili powder, vivid fruit juices, piping-hot cinnamon churros, neon-bright candies that stick in your teeth, and frozen treats with names like Angel's Kiss…and that's just the beginning."

--from Chapter 1

Join acclaimed chef and seasoned Baja traveler Deborah Schneider for an intriguing and appetizing journey through the Baja California region of Mexico, from the dusty towns south of the U.S. border all the way down to breezy Cabo San Lucas at the peninsula's southern tip.

Featuring more than 150 tantalizing recipes as well as vivid stories and images, this deliciously unorthodox cookbook transports you to the real Baja, with all its vibrant flavor and brilliant color, a place still largely undiscovered by los turistas.

The famous Baja fish taco is here, of course, in a mixture of authentic recipes and Schneider's own Baja-inspired dishes--ingenious creations for which Bon Appétit magazine named her "the reigning queen of San Diego chefs."

No matter how far north of the border you may be, with Schneider's easy-to-follow recipes, now you can feast on uniquely Baja delights like Clams in Tequila Butter, One-Pan Paella, Garlic Cilantro Steak, and Chocolate-Jalapeño Truffles. Enjoy.

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by David K]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2013 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

This one and the two Cooking with Baja Magic are really great books if you are looking for the authentic epic recipes from all corners of Baja.

Ohhh c'mon, Udo..........she never put up a recipe she didn't rip off and bend from another source. I know who she's trying to kid...but who are you trying to kid?
She only did this to sell cookbooks. She couldn't ever care less about cooking.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by DENNIS]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Ohhh c'mon, Udo..........she never put up a recipe she didn't rip off and bend from another source. I know who she's trying to kid...but who are you trying to kid?
She only did this to sell cookbooks. She couldn't ever care less about cooking.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by DENNIS]

Who are you talking about Dennis, Deborah M. Schneider or Ann Hazard?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Who are you talking about Dennis, Deborah M. Schneider or Ann Hazard?

Not Deborah.

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 03:20 PM
Mexico Border Flavours: The Beautiful Cookbook

...sometimes available at COSTCO for about 30 bucks. Great read, beautiful pics, comprehensive collection of history and wonderful Mexican recipes by region plus bonus section with Tex/Mex recipes. A few sample recipes here:

[url]http://www.goodcooking.com/ckbookrv/spring_05/cookrev12_05/bkmexico12-05.htm[

It would be nice to have authentic Mexican dishes more available and less emphasis on pub style grub or fashion food. But there's probably a reason to cater to the tourist.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 12:10 AM

Here's another recommendation, just bought myself a new cookbook for Christmas, OLE'!!!

"Pati's Mexican Table", by Pati Janich. I've seen her shows on PBS, and have been wanting to try some of her recipes! Taking the new cookbook with me to Baja, going to try out some of them! She also has a blog with lots of the recipes that are in her book, so there's some freebies there!

sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I went to the English bookstore in La Paz last week and she had a few to choose from, but nothing really spoke to me.

Her website looks good and I am going to try some of the recipes she has posted there before trying to find the book.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
Here's another recommendation, just bought myself a new cookbook for Christmas, OLE'!!!

"Pati's Mexican Table", by Pati Janich. I've seen her shows on PBS, and have been wanting to try some of her recipes! Taking the new cookbook with me to Baja, going to try out some of them! She also has a blog with lots of the recipes that are in her book, so there's some freebies there!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

They had a home in the Cape region (East Cape?),

Could be, but I'd have sworn they went from here to Todos Santos. Terry is a photographer......Ann likes to write, and I think the "art community" atmosphere was their goal.
Anyway...I guess it's all just more history.

They DID have an East Cape place, then moved to Idaho, then THEY were no more.
I haven't heard from her in over a year but she was doing well.

I forgot
We have "Cooking with Baja Magic Dos" available on our web site and here in San Jose.

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by bajajudy]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim
Frida Kahlo was in fact married to Diego Rivera.

Here's the two of the together in 1932 and her self portrait (1 of 55) painted in 1939.

Bob Durrell
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 01:22 PM

Since we haven't used cookbooks in ages, we gave a bunch of them to a local bookstore. Anytime we want to look up a recipe, we Google it , read them, and then print the one we like. Beats having to store a myriad of books just taking up space.

And BTW, Rivera also lived in Guanajuato and his house there is also a museum.
Remember it vividly, since I got lifted of $700.00 a block from there. :no::fire:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 01:29 PM

Remarkable resemblance to a younger Frida.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 01:40 PM

..and now Guy Fieri graces the Baja scene and gives his stamp of approval:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?Nr=Record%20Ty...

What is this world coming to?

Just say no to faux.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.