Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Boats Seized
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 12:23 AM

Got my TIP last year in La Paz, got the decal.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
apogee

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 07:08 PM

MEXICO -- Starting around Dec.7 of last year, several Americans with boats docked in marinas located throughout Mexico had their vessels boarded and subsequently impounded by the SAT (Mexico’s IRS) over the course of several weeks. At press time, a total of 338 boats were reported to have been impounded.

- See more at: http://www.thelog.com/Local/Article/....Tx1PVqxr.dpuf

If there shall be war, let it start here.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 08:53 AM

...and here's a result of the SAT's actions... http://cdmtocabo.com/2014Race/

....how many permit's will they need to sell to re-gain this lo$$??
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

...and here's a result of the SAT's actions... http://cdmtocabo.com/2014Race/

....how many permit's will they need to sell to re-gain this lo$$??

direct result? I read it as a combination of things. I also think 5 bucks a year is cheap fora permit that allows Mexico to keep track of what comes into their country..

" Economic conditions, recent events in Mexico affecting boaters, difficulty in landing sponsors and the general state of offshore keelboat racing in Southern California all combined to make it very challenging to host this race in 2014."
sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 05:39 PM
Information on Boat Seizures in Mexico

I attended a meeting the other night of the Cruceros Cruisers Club in La Paz.

They had a guest who seemed to be very well informed about the recent issues with boat seizures, both in Baja and on the mainland.

I will try to summarize as best I can what he had to say.

Due to a new administration, a decision was made to enforce the rules regarding Temporary Import Permits (TIP's).

When one brings their boat into Mexican waters, they must either have or obtain a TIP. The cost is relatively low and they are good for multiple years.

The forms that had been used for TIP for boats were originally intended for road vehicles. As a result, there were problems with some of the fields.

The biggest problem was that the applications asked for a VIN. Boats don't have VIN's. Some don't even have hull numbers.

People filled this field with a variety of numbers - their documentation numbers, the numbers on their engines, their state registration numbers and sometimes their hull numbers.

When the inspectors swarmed some of the marinas, they had handheld devices. They would look for HULL numbers and enter these into their devices.

If there was no match, they impounded the boats. Since so many of the numbers in this field were wrong, a large number of boats were impounded.

As individuals have gotten updated TIP's with accurate information, boats have been released. According to him, most boats have been released at this time. The ones still held are those for which an updated TIP has not been obtained.

In the meantime, the press in the US and elsewhere has been extremely negative. In light of this, the government has stopped the program for now. However, they could reinstitute it at any time.

It is important that anyone with a boat check their boat and make sure the hull number is in the field that lists "VIN". It is also important that this number be somewhere on the boat where it can be seen and read. There will be problems if your boat does not have a hull number, and I am not sure how that is being addressed.

The TIP comes with a sticker. Again, because the form is meant for cars, the instructions are to put this below your rear view mirror.

Due to their generally not being a rear view mirror on a boat, lol, and these stickers not being very weather resistant, he advised people to not attach the stickers. He did advise to make a COLOR copy of your TIP, take a picture of the hull number and attach these to your boat if you are not going to be aboard.

That's about all I know. I think the immediate crisis has passed, but there could be issues in the future.

Oh, and if you don't have a TIP, I would strongly advise you to get one ASAP.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 06:25 PM
boats from the US

smaller vessels since april 1972 have a VIN on the outer starboard transom..larger vessels are documented with the U.S.C.G or regged with the DMV of the state the boat was purchased in !!! ....K&T:cool::cool:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 06:36 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71603

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
smaller vessels since april 1972 have a VIN on the outer starboard transom..larger vessels are documented with the U.S.C.G or regged with the DMV of the state the boat was purchased in !!! ....K&T:cool::cool:

Hogwash. My boat made around 1990 (depending on which paper you use) in England has NO number anywhere on the boat. The "paperwork" says it is hull #9. There is a "9" on the original mainsail, I guess that's the documented proof?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Quote:

Hogwash. My boat made around 1990 (depending on which paper you use) in England has NO number anywhere on the boat. The "paperwork" says it is hull #9. There is a "9" on the original mainsail, I guess that's the documented proof?
(I think you missed cappy's subject line,"boats from the u.s."):yes:

[Edited on 1-19-2014 by willardguy]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 07:04 AM

sequoyah, that is probably the most complete description I have read of what occurred. Thank you for that.

But you mention "In light of this, the government has stopped the program for now." Do you mean the TIP program or just the enforcement effort? Certainly, they couldnt suspend the TIP program, I would think.

One thing not mentioned is that there are still TIPS out there that have not expired that did not come with a sticker. It appears these were issued around 2003 or 4 up till maybe 2006 or so. I know a couple people who got theirs in 2005 and never got a sticker.
fourninerpapa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 07:54 AM

Does this apply to kayaks, canoes or inflatables such as Zodiacs?
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Got my TIP last year in La Paz, got the decal.
So did I but I didn't get a sticker?

In Memory of E-57
sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
sequoyah, that is probably the most complete description I have read of what occurred. Thank you for that.

But you mention "In light of this, the government has stopped the program for now." Do you mean the TIP program or just the enforcement effort? Certainly, they couldnt suspend the TIP program, I would think.

One thing not mentioned is that there are still TIPS out there that have not expired that did not come with a sticker. It appears these were issued around 2003 or 4 up till maybe 2006 or so. I know a couple people who got theirs in 2005 and never got a sticker.

He said they had stopped the enforcement program until they could get some things straightened out, but advised that they could restart it anywhere at any time.

In terms of TIP's without stickers, he advised taking them in for updating, if possible, but did not think it was critical to do so.

Just might save some significant hassle if they do come to your boat.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 10:54 AM

Many folks do not realize the "sticker" is part of the TIP and attached to the back of the document.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Many folks do not realize the "sticker" is part of the TIP and attached to the back of the document.
So do we take it off and put on our boat or keep it affixed to the TIP?

In Memory of E-57
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 12:12 AM
Sir weebray

AS pointed out here I stated boats from The USA...If you think for a second your in a postion to argue with me about ADMARTI law lets go.....all us made vessels since april 1972 have a vin # on the outer starboard transom...not up for debate!! there are boats built in many other places that have other rules !! I Think you might want to look up the "furgensen act" in regard to vessel regs of the USA...BTW most ships are not regged in the USA but Nassau...Fact!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 07:52 AM
VIN???? - Frayed Knot

FYI......It's a HIN (Hull Identification Number), not a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).

Also if you use the terminology "HIN Number" or "VIN Number" you are being redundant:

HIN Number = Hull Identification Number Number
VIN Number = Vehicle Identification Number Number

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Ship_Hull_numbers

Quote:
AS pointed out here I stated boats from The USA...If you think for a second your in a postion to argue with me about ADMARTI law lets go.....all us made vessels since april 1972 have a vin # on the outer starboard transom...not up for debate!!

[Edited on 1-20-2014 by bajaguy]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 10:22 AM
OK..your sorta right !!

AS a EX boat dealer,, I can tell you if you go in to DMV CA and say,,write,, HIN you will get blank looks from the clerks...its normal to say,,write VIN....Just the way it is...with a "bill of Laden" and a HIN/VIN is the start of the process to reg a boat from the factory...SO...yes you are correct in the thought process.. but in the real world its is referred as the VIN....
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 10:27 AM

seems like all boat owners .that do not have whats required in the way of paperwork.. will need to do whats required to get it , instead of just asking board members
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 10:31 AM
Info

From "The Log"

http://www.thelog.com/Local/

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.