Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  25
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 07:47 PM
Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike

Hi, this is a pre-trip report of a trip I'm planning down Salsipuedes Canyon north of Bay of LA in late December / early January. I'm going to ride my Surly Pugsley fatbike, with an Extrawheel trailer holding all my water, from a point on the highway 95 km south of Catavina, east across to the Sea of Cortez where the wash spits out.

From the highway it's 23 km along a dirt road to the head of the canyon. From there I'll have to desert-whack a few km until I get into the main wash, then it's 43 km of riding down the wash, interrupted by rock fields. I figure it should take me a week.

When I get to the ocean I'll be able to desalinate seawater with either my Katadyn hand pump (I am leaning towards the Survivor 06 model but others recommend the significantly larger 35 model -- any advice?), or the campfire distiller I'm making.

Then the plan is to packraft / ride the beach back down the coast to La Gringa, catching fish as I go. If the winds are really bad I can go up some other washes instead and ride back through the dry lakes north of Bay of LA.

Should be a great trip, but a little freaky. I've spent lots of time in the wilderess alone, and lots of time 4X4ing i Baja, but this will be the first time I combine the two. I'll have a Spot GPS with map page. I'll post more info here about everything as I get it.

Here is a previous trip report from larryC:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=33067

Oh yeah, if anyone can give me a ride down from LA or San Diego I'd sure appreciate it... I fly down Dec 17 to my buddy Mark's place in Long Beach.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 09:59 PM

Sounds like a great trip! Glad to see a bicyclist posting on this board,... rare breed

Good luck!
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 08:04 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. The road up from hiway one takes off at km 270 and is a pretty good road up to some rancho's at the head of salsipuedes canyon. From there down you might run into some problems with large rocks and cliffs. I found lots of water in the canyon when I was there but your idea of desalinating salt water once you get to the coast is a good one. Pretty rough going till you get to Candeleros and from there if you want there is a dirt road back to Bahia or you can keep going along the coast through Guadalupe bay and on south. I'll be interested in your adventure.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 09:25 AM

Here is how Erle Stanley Gardner showed the canyons in his book 'Hovering Over Baja'... 50 years ago, not much has changed!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 09:43 AM

Sage advice from Uncle Earle, for sure. This is BIG rough country, and VERY remote!! I did not understand what a "fat bike" was assuming it was some sort of motorcycle, but now knowing I am concerned and even alarmed.

Good luck, and plan very carefully!!

Barry
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 10:12 AM

Come on, David! We need one of your extraordinary Google Earth maps with push pins to really visualize this!!!

Sounds like an amazing trip.

degoma
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 10:59 AM

The trip sounds great! A buddy and I used a campfire distiller on a hike along the west coast in 1972. It was a simple device consisting of a 5 quart aluminum canteen and about 6’ of 3/8” aluminum tubing with a rubber stopper on one end. We were able to make around a gallon of distilled water each evening while cooking dinner and sitting around the fire.

Sometime after that hike I fabricated the, ‘Mark II’ version:

As pictured (less the Dos XX) it weighs 5 lbs.

The boiler is 6”x18” and 5” high. The chimney is 5” square and 12” tall; it folds flat. The boiler and chimney would lay across the top of my pack under the flap; the coil just hanging off the back somewhere.

I felt it needed the chimney to help draft through the fire tubes.

It does take a lot of salt water to condense the steam. The condenser bucket will start to boil and steam will come out of the tubing…time to pour in more cold sea water!

(edited by degoma for missing word)

[Edited on 12-2-2013 by degoma]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I did not understand what a "fat bike" was assuming it was some sort of motorcycle, but now knowing I am concerned and even alarmed.

Barry

I bicycle Coast Hwy here in San Clemente, I see loaded bicyclist's
heading south, I like to find out where they are headed. Recently
talked to a couple guys. asked how far so. they were going,
the tip of South America was the reply. Another was a couple
travelling wiht 2 samll children, they said they were going
to Brazil to start a new life. I admire true adventures, it's all
I can do to get to San Felipe for a few days
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:58 PM

Sounds like a fun trip!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I did not understand what a "fat bike" was assuming it was some sort of motorcycle, but now knowing I am concerned and even alarmed.

Barry

I bicycle Coast Hwy here in San Clemente, I see loaded bicyclist's
heading south, I like to find out where they are headed. Recently
talked to a couple guys. asked how far so. they were going,
the tip of South America was the reply. Another was a couple
travelling wiht 2 samll children, they said they were going
to Brazil to start a new life. I admire true adventures, it's all
I can do to get to San Felipe for a few days

I have two very good friends in their very late '60's who right now are biking (skinny-tire bikes) across the USA (brrr)------and this is their 3rd time doing this---------and I think that is GREAT (tho a little crazy). What concerns me is that this subject Salsipuedes/Asamblea country is extreme-wilderness, extremely remote, huge and very unknown, soft sandy washes, rocky & mountainous, and rough (ask Graham McIntosh). Fine if he really knows what he is getting into, and I sure hope he does. This is ROKON ( http://www.rokon.com/index.php?p=1_4_Trail-Breaker ) country at best, IMO, and rescue possible by helecoptor only.

Barry

[Edited on 12-2-2013 by Barry A.]
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 01:39 PM

That's an interesting setup dagona. Interestingly I am at a steam conference today.

Regarding the safety of the trip, the main concerns are if I get a flat. But I will inject stan's goop into the tubes. Most of the ride is sandy wash with no cactus. Sand is no problem to ride over with a fatbike. Also, the tricky areas will be on days 2 and 3 at the head of the canyon do easy to backtrack out if there's a problem. And once in the canyon, the worst ill have to do is hike 20 km out to the ocean, no big deal.

If I get attacked by coyotes or bitten by a snake, well I'll have to deal with it. That's what the spot is for. Yesterday i practiced hauling 20 l on my trailer, you barely even feel it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 02:40 PM

Good luck with your adventure. Sounds like you have some Baja experience....but have you ridden with that trailer in soft sand yet?

Even w/ just the bike, my guess you will be pushing the bike more than riding it in the sand that is not hard-packed.

Don't believe everything you think....
nandopedal
Nomad

Mood: Negra Modelo

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 02:55 PM

Motoged, look it up on the net "Surly Pugsley" and you will get a better idea as to the kind of pedaling he does, I have tried them and yes with low pressure they float on sand or snow.

\"There are many dangers in Baja. The most serious of which is not going.\" Christophe Noel (EXPO)
nandopedal
Nomad

Mood: Negra Modelo

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 02:59 PM

Mark, best of luck, I am a cyclist (road and mtb) so is lots of fun see you going for it, keep us posted!

\"There are many dangers in Baja. The most serious of which is not going.\" Christophe Noel (EXPO)
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 03:02 PM

Nan,
Yes, I have googled the fatbike thing....and yes, folks rave about them....and yes, I have tried riding Baja sand for years on different motorcycles.

I hate soft sand/deep sand on motos, so really wonder how pedal power is better at generating traction than 450-690 cc's :o in such conditions.

I will sit back and watch....I hope it works out as I like the concept of his ride :light: :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 03:06 PM

I just watched a rokon video ,, i would proably have a heart attack just pulling on the rope starter ,.thanks but i am to old to do that .hell i need rescueing from side walk cafe's
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Come on, David! We need one of your extraordinary Google Earth maps with push pins to really visualize this!!!

Sounds like an amazing trip.

They are in the other thread (Larry's)... :light::yes:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 05:36 PM

Thanks for the enthusiasm everyone! Now I have some added pressure to not die...

Here is me riding along the beach at Alfonsinas. That was more hard packed sand but at the end you can see where I rode up the hill to the palapas through dry loose sand and it was surprisingly easy, much easier than snow!

http://vimeo.com/70693116

Also see this video of some guys who rode the beach and packrafted along Alaska's lost coast.

http://vimeo.com/25943565

[Edited on 12-3-2013 by Mark_BC]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 06:21 PM

Very cool... so do you lower the tire pressure for the sand, as well?

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 11:37 PM

Even Desertbull has a FAT Tire bike for Baja! These bikes were meant to cruise the snows of NorthWest, but a few friends of mine have them and use them in Baja and the desert all the time. I take mine with me on lots if trips...cruising down the beach is a piece of cake!

Here's a short clip of MTB Pro Seth Beck trying my Surly out in San Juanico. Soft sand, hard packed, rocks, sticks, dirt roads....the FAT Tire bike likes it all!

Try it, you might like it!

http://youtu.be/I-7X5tmAwqk

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.