Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  25
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 06:30 PM

this is an exciting post/thread! What a fantastic trip you are going on!

Have a wonderful journey! Will be rooting you on from here!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 06:30 PM

Hi Igor, I wanted to give those without the ability to view Google Earth a look at what you gave as the waypoint. Three looks, high, medium and low.

If anyone wants the steps on how to display a GE image here on Nomad, just ask... It isn't hard and uses Photobucket to show it at full Nomad frame width (uploaded at 800 pixels) without distortion to the thread. :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 08:11 PM

Ged, i think he said around 12/17.

brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 10:44 PM

This all sounds like I would really like to visit that area. I have a place in Punta Final and it is close to it. Any takers on going out and checking that place out sometime? From the top, unless you have one of those boats that can unload gear right on the beach.
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 11:15 PM

I fly to LA Dec 17, then can stage there for a few days until I figure out how to get south.

Right now I'm putting my bike together, then I have to sort out all my gear that goes on it and the packraft, this is a lot of work.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 01:39 PM

Hope the prep goes well. Fat tires fly through the sand down here. Lots of mountain bike action in BCS. Good idea to add Stan's to the tires.

This biker who has done a bit of Baja and mainland Mexico has some very interesting technical bike stuff and packing ideas for bike touring in all kinds of conditions:

http://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

We use an inflatable kayak (Innova brand) on the SoC and the advice about the extra effort the wind crates is accurate. Best to avoid the El Nortes and also to get going early in the day before the breezes kick in.

Looking forward to your trip report!

Best wishes for a most excellent adventure,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 07:35 PM

Thanks windgrrl.

Here is a story (page 147) of some prospectors who went through the area and almost died from thirst because they had no extra provisions for making drinking water and the winds picked up for a few days preventing the boat from coming to their rescue. I won't be making that mistake. Firstly, I'll have two methods of making fresh water from seawater -- my distiller / cooking pot with copper tube, and my desalinator hand pump. Also, apparently you can survive on seawater if you limit yourself to 32 ounces a day. The problem is if you drink too much then you get kidney failure. But if you aren't sweating too much, then a little bit is enough to keep you hydrated and it doesn't overwhelm your kidneys. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

You'll have to copy and paste the link.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=VOMdYosoygwC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=salsipuedes+canyon+baja&source=bl&ots=xzN-HkrkNf&sig=IZ3s6w iaTHmXlVofRuUs0juOFkE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GiYIUc_SGqfM2gWCqoDoDA&q=salsipuedes+canyon+baja&redir_esc=y#v=snippet&q=salsipuedes%20can yon%20baja&f=falsehttp://books.google.ca/books?id=VOMdYosoygwC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=salsipuedes+canyon+baja&source=bl&ots=xzN-HkrkNf&sig=IZ3s6w iaTHmXlVofRuUs0juOFkE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GiYIUc_SGqfM2gWCqoDoDA&q=salsipuedes+canyon+baja&redir_esc=y#v=snippet&q=salsipuedes%20can yon%20baja&f=falseHereHere

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Mark_BC]
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I am still waiting to see someone ride it in soft sand guys....downhill for 50 feet doesn't do it....

I like the concept and get it that it's a fun bike, but all the vids are on wet sand (the San Juanico sand chute and rocks aside).

No disrespect....just doubt about the sand wash travel unless hardpacked.... :cool:

THIS ...... wet sand ok..... bad news on the soft sand we run into on trails.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 08:18 PM

might want to look into the window rock trail ( same area ) end up at beach just south of your original destenation. I'd bet you would be the first to tackle it on a bike. Width problems if your trailer is much over 30 inches.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 12:09 AM

I reexamined the idea of doing the coast partly by raft and found that you only needed to do 6 miles of rafting from the salsipuedes opening on the cortez to the next major canyon south of there. The southern canyon can be driven out to the lake beds and back to guadalupe bay southward. I was going to provide the raft departure and arrival pts on a google map but don't have the time.

So with that in mind your original plan may be doable. Pick a quite day, leave at day break and row like hell. Once the wind picks up it should push you in the direction you're going but you can't be certain of that. It's still risky. Accuweather says it will be windy in that area for the next 2 weeks but things could change. Your chances would have been better at a different time of year - even a month ago.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 12:27 AM

The canyon/ arroyo you can drive out to/from the dry lakes is Arroyo Los Candeleros... and indeed it is less than 10 miles south of Arroyo Asamblea (which Arroyo Salsipuedes merges with about 5 miles from the coast. Arroyo La Botica merges with Asamblea just 2 miles from the coast.

See Map 19 of the 2003 Baja Almanac or Map 8 of the 2009 edition.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The canyon/ arroyo you can drive out to/from the dry lakes is Arroyo Los Candeleros... and indeed it is less than 10 miles south of Arroyo Asamblea (which Arroyo Salsipuedes merges with about 5 miles from the coast. Arroyo La Botica merges with Asamblea just 2 miles from the coast....

Yes, but how deep and soft is the sand before/after the cliffs? :?: :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The canyon/ arroyo you can drive out to/from the dry lakes is Arroyo Los Candeleros... and indeed it is less than 10 miles south of Arroyo Asamblea (which Arroyo Salsipuedes merges with about 5 miles from the coast. Arroyo La Botica merges with Asamblea just 2 miles from the coast....

I was reviewing videos from our last rip last night and I saw one where I rode the bike up a steep jeep track above Laguna Manuela with very loose sand that even many 4X4's were having trouble getting up. It isn't hard.

I think Condelero would be a good way out if the winds are up and I need to ride back instead. If needed I could wait the winds out indefinitely, eating fish on the beach. There also seem to be a few other beaches / washes between the Asamblea outlet and Condelero where I could take refuge. 10 miles isn't far when you have no time limitations...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I drove all the way to the beach at Candelero in 2WD from the L.A. Bay highway... of course it was a Tacoma :light:

Seriously, sand/ gravel can change depending on humidity and rain. That trip was in December.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:27 PM

I've been in that area as well. The sand above Laguna Manuela is a very fine sand, much finer than the beaches on the cortez. I don't know how either affects driving a bicycle.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

I've been in that area as well. The sand above Laguna Manuela is a very fine sand, much finer than the beaches on the cortez. I don't know how either affects driving a bicycle.

As SkipJack relates, and in my experience--------Other than the areas of water-logged sand along the Pacific Coast which can swallow tires quickly, I have found that most of the Pacific facing beaches in central and northern Baja are made of much finer and more compact sand than those along the SOC, and often can be driven with ease. The SOC beaches are normally of much coarser sand and shell particles and can swallow the unprepared drivers vehicle tires quickly. The inlets and tidal-flats mostly have much finer, silty particles and can be quagmires when super-wet even tho they look on the surface to be solid and dry.

As David K and others have said many times, the secret is low tire pressure & 4-wheel drive when driving in these conditions, and to some extent this 'low tire pressure' idea probably will help a "fat tire bike" also, especially with their light weight.. The videos are impressive, I admit.

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 07:41 PM

Mark, the day after Xmas i may be able to drive you to your departure point if you have some gas $. i've got a 2003 Tundra 4x4 with a shell. if you think you could fit all your gear it might be an option if no one else steps up.

U2U me (top right corner of every page).

brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:25 AM

Stop by Punta Final and ask for Kevin if you need to stash anything Woody. Or anything else. I'll be there from Dec. 22nd to Jan. 6th. U2U me.
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 02:03 AM

Just an update. I just flew into LA and I'm at my friend's house in Long Beach. It's been a crazy week but everything managed to come together. I have a few days here to get organized and then I will still need to get south somehow so I'm still looking for a ride. I guess it's not the best time right now to catch people heading south. One option we are entertaining is my friend can drop me off at the Tijuana bus terminal. Once I'm on th bus I'm sure it's fine but getting from car to bus might be a bit of a challenge. I'll have some pretty big boxes though and I'm a bit worried about that option.

Here is my Spot page. I'll try to hit it Wednesday sometime in LA.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 10:14 PM

Our friend came up with the great idea of renting a car in San Diego and driving down. Does anyone have any recommendations for rental companies?
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.