Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  25
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 07:07 PM

One more of the last details. Is the gas sold by venders at Catavina generally ok?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 08:02 PM

it is generally ok. FWIW!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 10:28 PM

The gasoline and diesel sold out of Jerry cans at Cataviņa comes from the Baja Cactus Pemex station in El Rosario. There are two Pemex stations in L.A. Bay, so top off there and El Rosario.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 10:41 PM

Hey Woody, I bury it. But it is a bit dangerous to rely on a stash because if they find it then you could be in trouble. So maybe better to carry it all with me.

Thanks Larry, looking forward to retracing your tracks! I'll keep an eye out for Indian paintings in areas where it looks habitable like around oases. I have to say, I'm intrigued by what Asamblea will be like. If I can actually ride most of it, that will be one long, twisted journey. You could go crazy if you didn't have a map and didn't know where you were. Curve after curve after curve.

Thanks for the support John! Everything is coming together, all my stuff is sorted out in various piles, now just have to pack it all up! I'll send you some kmz files.

Thanks David for all your advice!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 10:47 PM

As before, have a fantastic adventure, and I will happily post your Spot maps or anything else you would like of me, that I can do!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 10:50 PM

Here is my bike I am using, a Surly Pugsley. No derailleur to get hung up, this one is internally geared.

[img][/img]

Loaded front:

[img][/img]

[Edited on 3-30-2014 by BajaNomad]
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2014 at 10:54 PM

Weird, I put up two shots on GE on either side of the dry lakebed, and it took a few weeks for them to go up. Now the images are totally wrong, from different users!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 11:15 AM

JohnMcfrog,
I have used Catalina can gas for many years with no problem.
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_BC
Here is my bike I am using, a Surly Pugsley. No derailleur to get hung up, this one is internally geared.

what gearing you run on it? and is it just single front chain ring?
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 06:40 AM

Dropped Mark off at Johns place last night. They should be on the road by now...
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 09:26 PM

At 5.33 this afternoon, he was visiting the rock art at Montevideo!

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 08:37 PM

Dropped Mark off at 29deg 16.274' N and 113deg 50.633' W elevation 828 feet , his original last camp with the rental car. That is 22 miles from the Bay of LA highway 12. He rode 10 miles back with me after dropping most of the stuff off at the advance camp, to be sure I didn't have car problems too far from the road.

Will add pictures when I get the energy. Thanks David for the info on the rock art site, it was a great evening and night. That is one special place. Mark is healthy, confident and getting organized. I learned a lot and saw some new country, what more can I ask.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 08:41 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. All Nomads who think it is interesting should try and see the rock art sites before they are lost to natural or man-made destruction.

The site along the San Javier road was recently covered by mud slides after last season's chubascos.

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 06:18 PM

Quite a bit of progress on his spot page...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 06:25 PM

can't wait for the pics! that is some wild land out there.

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 06:30 PM

Spot #3 must have been as far as he could ride, & spots #4 & 5 where he hop-scotched lugging his gear up to the top of the saddle.
How hot is it in that neck of the woods right now? I'd bet he's going to be going through his water at a quicker pace.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 06:33 PM

we are expecting some light rain over the next 48 hours in SoCal so he may be getting wet tomorrow night.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 11:58 PM
3-24-14 near La Botica dry lake...

The three named arroyos are tagged.

[Edited on 3-25-2014 by David K]

JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 10:34 AM

It has been a while since I have posted pictures, so hope it works OK. Am living off the grid in Punta Abreojos, so will post in segments when in Chula's, my favorite breakfast spot.

This segment will be about the gear, first a video of Mark riding at Montevideos:
https://vimeo.com/89819772

Mark's bike is a fat tire Pugsley, which was developed in Alaska for riding in the snow. Mark bought the frame and built it from the ground up. It has 3.8 inch tires x 26in and is equipped with a Shimano 8 speed sealed rear hub, with a single gear front chain ring. A standard Pugsley has an exposed rear cluster and derailler to shift gears, like a street bike. In a dusty or rocky environment, the external derailler gets easily bent or clogged with grit and fails. In Abreojos, there is a half hour maintenance with a ride. I bought a sealed hub beach cruiser and plan to mount the 7 speed hub on my old Gary Fischer mountain bike for use here.

Mark has made special brackets to carry his sleeping bag on the front fork. He uses a alcohol stove (3oz) and has another front bracket to keep the fuel bottle upright to prevent leaks. The has an Extra Wheel trailer that was also tested in Alaska. In contrast to the Bob trailer, it uses 26 inch wheels, so that it goes over rocks much better.

His tent is a Tarp Tent, very light weight. I use a tarp tent in my desert lightweight setup that has tent, sleeping pad, stove and pack at 9 pounds. They work good when pitched properly, but not good in high winds. A good wind tent is the Black Diamond Bibler design that I use for high altitude snow camping or any situation where high winds may come. Mark is obviously a tough guy to have used this tent in baja.

Mark has three different desalination setups. One is a steam boiler for use over a campfire. Another is a pump that goes thru a membrane but is Mark reports that it is quite slow. I forget what the 3rd one is. His trailer has net on the side, where he uses 1.5 liter bottles to the tune of 7 or 8 gallons. In his first stash where I dropped him off (22 miles from the highway), he had 9 gallons. Mark has a Pack Raft that was also developed in Alaska. It weighs in at four pounds and can be patched with duct tape. From pictures on his blog , it appears quite small.

More to follow.

Going toward dark in the beautiful site at Montevideo
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 01:07 PM

I've been looking at those fat tire bikes for a while now. Nice photos!
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.