Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  25
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 08:13 PM

looks like he's going for salsipuedes. if he makes it to there it looks fairly easy downhill.

i wonder how close the spot actually reports your location? seems weird he went over those hills at #7 or does it show a line between points?

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 08:14 PM

Looks like he's got his sights set on a new route into the main canyon...
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 09:50 PM

It doesn't show the true route over ground, just connects the dots between spot hits. He'd have to send out coordinates more freequently to give a better sense of the actual route he took to get there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 11:46 PM
Tuesday Evening Camp

Sure looks like he's elected to head for Salsipuedes over the La Botica route! Best of luck!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 11:57 PM

All of us armchair adventurers should have chipped in to set Mark up with tracking, maybe even a sat phone rental for updates.

Bruce

[Edited on 3-26-2014 by mcnut]
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 04:51 AM

Since Mark's probably going to be the first person to explore that branch of the Salcipuedes drainage today, does that mean he gets to name it?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DosMars
Since Mark's probably going to be the first person to explore that branch of the Salcipuedes drainage today, does that mean he gets to name it?

What? Mark is nowhere near the first person to explore that drainage. ESG did it in 1960, I did it in '04 and it was done again in 2010. I'm sure there have been countless others to do it that I have never heard of. But he can still name it whatever he wants. I did.
Larry
PS Hot dry west winds yesterday, hope he found some shade, really hot out in the sun.

[Edited on 3-26-2014 by larryC]

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
2002maniac

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 11:49 AM

What's the link to his SPOT page?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 11:57 AM

it's on page 16.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 12:00 PM

at this rate he'll be at the beach Friday.....

JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 03:13 PM

More photos:

Pictograph at Montevideo

Mark and Cardon

Mark ready to go at first dry lake bed

At the end of the 2nd dry lake sorting gear to stash temporarily

One last pictograph
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 03:48 PM

GE Image of gpx track file from my garmin 301:

Point 008 is a waypoint at the junction between the wash going East to Bahia Guadalupe (Mark says it is about 50 minutes by car from this point) and to the left is the start of the 2nd lake bed.

Point 009 is a waypoint at the end of the second dry lake, where we stashed his stuff. This is where he began his reconn last time.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 04:55 PM

Well, he is off and running. Looks like (Spot) he camped for the night 15 minutes ago 100 yards past the junction and is in the main Salsipuedes Canyon going downhill. 29.35683, -113.96165

[Edited on 3-27-2014 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 05:50 PM
HOORAY! GET IN, HE DID!

Sal Si Puedes= Get Out IF YOU CAN! Not for a real determined Nomad, who is following the lead made by Erle Stanley Gardner over 50 years ago... but without motorized trail bikes or helicopters!

The book that had inspired many to see Salsipuedes, in person:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Spot #3 must have been as far as he could ride, & spots #4 & 5 where he hop-scotched lugging his gear up to the top of the saddle.
How hot is it in that neck of the woods right now? I'd bet he's going to be going through his water at a quicker pace.

Really surprised he chose that route. Carrying his bike and all those supplies up that mountain (pts 3-6) must have been a herculean task.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:31 AM

Sorry for the confusion, should have been more clear that I was referring to the route he took in into the canyon through that feeder branch of the drainage. Not the drainage itself.
No disrespect intended towards everyone who's explored this area before Mark, just super stoked that he's doing it now!

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
Quote:

What? Mark is nowhere near the first person to explore that drainage. ESG did it in 1960, I did it in '04 and it was done again in 2010. I'm sure there have been countless others to do it that I have never heard of. But he can still name it whatever he wants. I did.
Larry
PS Hot dry west winds yesterday, hope he found some shade, really hot out in the sun.

[Edited on 3-26-2014 by larryC]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:25 PM

looks like he's settled in for the night! he's swimming tomorrow by the looks of it.

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 07:39 PM

Looks like the bike's handling the sand pretty well. I wonder how much water he burned through getting into the main canyon vs how much he's going through riding the canyon?

Edit: I was just looking at his spot page and wondering what it was about this spot that he decided to call it a day. Zooming in, I noticed that just down stream there's a bunch of palms around a wet area at the confluence of two side tributaries. I wonder if he may have run into his first potential water source?

[Edited on 3-28-2014 by DosMars]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 10:47 PM
On 3-27-14 in 3-D Map Images

From close to up high...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 05:43 PM
11:00 AM 3-28-14

Mark was only about 3 miles from the coast at 11:00 AM today. As of 5:30 pm, still no evening Spot signal (if he continued down to the beach)...

Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.