Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  25
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 08:52 PM

theres been some radical winds in Yuma the past 2 days. maybe he's waiting it out?

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 07:19 AM

And very strong west winds down here for the last couple of days. As far as fresh water, there is a lot more water up in that canyon than there is along the coast. The food theory makes more sense to me.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 08:51 AM

He's at Candelero (11) now
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
He's at Candelero (11) now

From Candelero, he can ride up the arroyo (there's an auto road in it) to his water stash by Valle Laguna Seca... 10 miles.

The beach at Candelero was all rock and drift wood 10 years ago.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 05:32 PM
Back to his water stash, Valle Laguna Seca

Today (4-3-14) he made the 10 mile trip up the arroyo to the dry lake valley.

Point 8,9,10 was at the beach, 3-31 to 4-2
Point 11 was at 10:21 am today (4-3)
Point 12 was at 2:24 pm today (4-3)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 05:37 PM

Looks like Mark is already back to the start point!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 01:34 PM

The biggest question in my mind is how he got from the mouth of Salsipuedes/Asamblea washes to Candelero? (SPOT points 8 thru 11, I think)

This is truly a great loop trip, and the first time I have heard of anything like this.

I sure want to know the details.

Barry

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Barry A.]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
The biggest question in my mind is how he got from the mouth of Salsipuedes/Asamblea washes to Candelero? (SPOT points 8 thru 11, I think)

This is truly a great loop trip, and the first time I have heard of anything like this.

I sure want to know the details.

Barry

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Barry A.]

Posted by John McFrog on Mar. 25 in this thread:

Mark has a Pack Raft that was also developed in Alaska. It weighs in at four pounds and can be patched with duct tape. From pictures on his blog , it appears quite small.

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by David K]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 03:04 PM

Thanks, David. Modern technology blows me away!!!

He must have had favorable winds, or no winds------that's quite a way to paddle in any kind of "raft" unless I am seeing/interpreting it wrong. Also, I don't believe there are any beaches between Candelero and the mouth of the Salsipuedes wash as I recall from cruizeing that coast out of BOLA many many years ago------
----mostly cliffs and rocks.

He done good!!!!

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 03:23 PM

there were strong winds 3-4 days ago! made he made a sail!!!

JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 05:30 PM

Mark the Man is on highway 12...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 05:38 PM

Coming into town for a beer!

treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 06:51 PM

You can see how the pack raft is used on the reality show Ultimate Survival Alaska on Nat Geo
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 10:37 AM

Hey everyone, I'm back! Thanks for following along. And thanks to John mcfrog for the ride, and David k for the maps, and mark for getting me to San Diego. Couldn't have done it without you and everyone else's support.

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I only have my iPhone and I can't access any of my photos, I can't even see my gopro videos, I have no idea how those turned out. It will be at least a month before I can get any photos up. Also, illneed to download some kind of word editor so I can compose my trip report posts beforehand rather than live on the Internet.

The good news is that it was a blast! Pretty much everything I expected. I got some good photos. I have a few stories to tell. I came back after two weeks because water was scarce. Desalinating was a full time job and left not enough time to go fishing, which wasn't all that productive. Basically, head for the bird boils and you can catch barracuda. But they weren't too common.

That's it for now, I just got into town. Will have to review the posts here.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 10:46 AM

can't wait for the report!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 10:50 AM

Great you had success Mark, enjoy some tacos and birria at China's stand!

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 10:52 AM

Welcome back to civilization Mark! Can't wait to hear all about the trip!
Can you access email?
We'll see you in a couple of weeks, I'll give you a refresher on catching your dinner...

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by DosMars]
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 11:38 AM

Yes I'm at chinas now, but not open yet. No probs, just filled up from the store next door.

Yes I can access emails. Yeah mark you can refresh my fishing skills. As soon as I put the boat in the water to transfer my stuff a km down the beach, there was a book I had to race out to. The barracuda were right under the boat. And then the reel jammed! Too much line in the small reel. But you only been 10 feet of line to catch one. I hit one but wasn't prepared for it(sharp teeth and inflatable boat a half km offshore) and it got away! A few more bites and another boil another day but never actually landed one...
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 11:40 AM

Oh mark see if you can find a wetsuit for me. I found a good pfd on the salsipuedes beach. And bring that bottle of tire goo. And if you have a chance to go by a bike shop pick up a rear derailleur cable, not a brake cable.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 11:51 AM

Sounds like you are having a great time. I used to post onto Amigos de Baja from Lizbeth's store next to China's taco stand 12 years ago...

Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.