Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  25
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2013 at 01:51 PM

We found out that I can rent a car at the Tijuana airport. I'll park it at Bay of LA. Does anyone have an idea of who / where I can park it with for a couple weeks?
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 06:35 PM

I made it to Mama Espinosas in el Rosario fine, but it seems I forgot my Spot GPS. I don't know how that happened as I was very careful and checked things off as they went in the bags. Does anyone have one I can borrow?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 06:50 PM

don't worry! make contacts in BOLA and they will come looking for you if you don't show up.

remember, you ain't in Kansas anymore! be careful out there.

Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 07:08 PM

I have a VHF radio but that will only work by the water. At least nothing could happen to me in the main wash below the upper canyon with the rocks, which is only 5 km long. I'll take everything inside the room tonight and totally strip it down.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 07:26 PM

Can you have the spot sent to you or a Nomad that can bring it to you. Being by yourself with out the spot may not be a good thing to do.
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 07:42 PM

Never mind, I found it. I'm sending it now. It's usually like this with me...

I was seriously going to do the trip regardless. We shouldn't have too much faith in Spot because there's lots it can't save you from. It may give a false sense of security.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 07:44 PM

I hope you find it in your bags. If not, I can bring it down next week --MAYBE-- depending on when you're starting your trek.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 07:59 PM

Mark, your Spot is working fine! I see you transmitted from the parking area at Mama Espinoza's motel, Las Cabaņas: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

ESN : 0-7449961
Type : OK
Latitude : 30.05912
Longitude : -115.72513
Time : 12/21/2013 6:41:42 PM
Battery State :GOOD

Have a great trip... we are watching you! :light:

[Edited on 12-22-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 08:21 PM

Yep, all's well so far. Thanks for everyone's advice. Now I have to make it a success with all these people watching and contributing...
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2013 at 09:51 AM

I'm at Villa Bahia in BoLA. All is well, and it's windy! Just took the bike plus loaded trailer out on the fine loose beach sand, nada problema! It's super easy to ride.

I checked out the turnoff from the highway yesterday (you can see I hit my Spot there), and there are definitely tracks leading up that road, so I hope I don't have problems with the rancher or locked gates. Still not totally sure what to do if there is a lock on it and / or a threatening keep out sign. Ride it at night under the moonlight?

I'm getting a ride up tomorrow morning. It's been raining with puddles at the side of the highway up there so water shouldn't be an issue. The water was running across the highway at Catavina. So far so good...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2013 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_BC
I'm at Villa Bahia in BoLA. All is well, and it's windy! Just took the bike plus loaded trailer out on the fine loose beach sand, nada problema! It's super easy to ride.

I checked out the turnoff from the highway yesterday (you can see I hit my Spot there), and there are definitely tracks leading up that road, so I hope I don't have problems with the rancher or locked gates. Still not totally sure what to do if there is a lock on it and / or a threatening keep out sign. Ride it at night under the moonlight?

I'm getting a ride up tomorrow morning. It's been raining with puddles at the side of the highway up there so water shouldn't be an issue. The water was running across the highway at Catavina. So far so good...

Great... here is the map you began on your Spot page showing the three check-ins: Mama Espinoza's, The Ranch road junction, Villa Bahia...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2013 at 10:20 AM

Mark
I found the ranchers up that road to be friendly. Just be sure to close any gates behind you so they don't have to go chasing their cattle all over the place. I doubt you'll have any problems getting to the beginning of the canyon. But carrying your bike and then your trailer up and over big rocks and lowering it down again might be a problem. At least it would be for me. You're going to have a great adventure. If you get into a situation and need to attract some attention you can always wait till you hear an airplane and light off on of those big palm trees. makes a spectacular fire and produces lots of smoke. When I was in there I noticed that 90% of the palms had been burned. Probably by natural causes. Not enough people go in there to burn that many palms. I'm talking thousands of burned palms.
Best wishes
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 06:21 PM

Mark is OK and is camped for the night on the road to the Rancho (about seven miles NE of Hwy 1, halfway to the Rancho).

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

[Edited on 12-25-2013 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 07:01 PM

i hope for his manhood's sake he jumps that fence and peddles on into the desert! what a waste of time to be detered by a P-nche gate!

good luck Mark, Merry Xmas!

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 07:04 PM

There is something across the road in about a half mile, either a fence line or ditch from an arroyo....

My motto:
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 12:52 PM

I haven't been up there in a year or 2 but the gates that were then were no problem to go around and actually were not locked when I was there. That was then this is now so quien sabe?
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 07:14 PM

He is OK, camped past the Rancho's a little bit two tenths off the road and in the start of an arroyo that will take him to Salsipudes if that is the arroyo route he is taking.

My motto:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
He is OK, camped past the Rancho's a little bit two tenths off the road and in the start of an arroyo that will take him to Salsipudes if that is the arroyo route he is taking.

Yes Neal, thanks for looking... It Looks like he made it to the headwater of the arroyo complex!

Your Local Time:
12/25/2013 2:42:28 PM
Coordinates: (WGS84)
29.26199 , -114.01875
Message Detail:
SPOT Check OK.

Using his GPS waypoint... see it in the upper left, as related to Bahia de los Angeles (lower right) and Hwy. 5 at El Crucero (upper far left)... and the famous Tinaja de Yubay. The other yellow pin is where the Camino Real can be seen from space, southeast of Yubay. Close up image follows.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2013 at 11:45 AM

Here is even closer look at Mark's Christmas day location. At the far left is the ranch road from Hwy.1 and at the far upper right is the first palm oasis, just 60 feet lower in elevation from the arroyo next to Mark's Spot signal.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2013 at 06:13 PM
12-26-13 Spot Locations

Mark sent out three Spot signals... The first was just after noon, a short distance downstream from his camp, and below the trail (yellow pin) where Bill B was at a few years ago with his Rokon.

The second was sent about 3 hours later, and is further down the arroyo... and the third was sent from the same area.

Here is a view with north at the top, then a 3-D view looking towards the east, downstream... and the gulf is in the distance.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.