Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  25
Author: Subject: Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 11:14 AM

Jim
Not sure salsipuedes is better. Once you are in there you can't tell one canyon from the next. They all branch off and it is easy to get turned around.

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Rookie question: Why is Salsipuedes 'better' than La Asamblea?

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 11:19 AM

Mark
I'll try to post a ge shot of where ESGardener set up his camp and went over the hill and out onto the botica dry lake. There is also another place to try that I will mark on the map also. I might need DKs help.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
DEVEAU
Nomad

Mood: "WFO"

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 11:33 AM

Having had the pleasure to ride many of the Bill Nicols/Jimmy Sones trails it is interesting how they are always working on getting up on the ridges. Elevation is your friend. Can always burn some to get through a tough section.

Chase Trucks? ??
We don\'t need no stinking chase trucks!
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 05:17 PM

Do you think it's safe to leave the rental car up those salt lakes for a few days? I have a feeling I won't be able to drive to the second one due to sand and I'll just have to leave the car there and ride the remaining distance.
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 08:37 PM

Hey Mark, Zoe told me to say 'hi' to tocayo!

I'd leave the car unlocked with a note in Spanish that you're over the ridge, everything's alright and you'll be back in a bit. More than likely it'll be fine while you're gone (it sure seemed remote when we were up there in the spring...!).

Have fun and be careful! See you in a week...

-Mark...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 08:41 PM

^^^yep, just go for it!^^^

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 09:10 PM

Don't for to air your tires down to 15-20 lbs.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 09:48 PM

I'm highly surprised there isn't some retired gringo down there right now that might be willing to drive you out there and camp a few days while you explore, or drop you off and come back in two days. Should be a lot of people down there right now.
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 07:34 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking Mark. And say that if they wreck the car I'll die out here... even though I could ride my bike back. I might try to find a way to disable it but I'm no mechanic so I don't want to do something I'll regret.

Hi Zoe! I want to spend a couple days in LA fixing up the bike and getting it ready for you (for some reason the rear shifters don't work, I may have to buy a new set), and give it a wash since there's still some salt from last trip.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_BC
Do you think it's safe to leave the rental car up those salt lakes for a few days? I have a feeling I won't be able to drive to the second one due to sand and I'll just have to leave the car there and ride the remaining distance.

Hard to say mark if it is safe or not, not many people out there but there are a few ranchers out there. I would help but I am in San Diego right now and won't be back until the 10th of Jan. There are some pretty rough spots out there that could cause a low slung rental car some problems. Are you staying at Villa Bahia? If so maybe Roger will lend you his truck.
The lat lon for Gardeners camp site is: N 29 18' 18.25 and W 113 52' 02.95 as near as I can tell on GE
You have probably already headed out on todays adventure but good luck.
Larry

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_BC

Hard to say mark if it is safe or not, not many people out there but there are a few ranchers out there. I would help but I am in San Diego right now and won't be back until the 10th of Jan. There are some pretty rough spots out there that could cause a low slung rental car some problems. Are you staying at Villa Bahia? If so maybe Roger will lend you his truck.
The lat lon for Gardeners camp site is: N 29 18' 18.25 and W 113 52' 02.95 as near as I can tell on GE
You have probably already headed out on todays adventure but good luck.
Larry

Erle Stanley Gardner's Camp (per Larry) is about 1 mile NW from the road to Punta Candelero on the coast (uses Arroyo los Candeleros)... right where the road wraps around the NW corner of the mesa.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 04:09 PM

Larry, would you confirm that the GPS you posted (and the location on the GE images above) are correct for Uncle Erle's 1960's base camp? Thank you!

Edit: Just checked, and no new Spot from Mark since he returned to Villa Bahia two days ago...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

[Edited on 1-2-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 07:09 AM

Well he is on his way again. He camped yesterday (Jan. 2) about 0.1 miles south of the left fork in the Y in the road that takes him toward Botica Dry Lake.

ScreenShot.jpg151 [640x480].jpg - 40kB

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:26 AM

Looks like the rental handled the soft spots well enough.

Mark and I were able to make arrangements to pick him up at the TJ airport rental return area on Thursday. That gives him a week to play with down there. Probably not enough time to do the main canyon, especially with the prospect of winds hanging him up at the canyon mouth.

I'm guessing he'll spend a couple of days scouting out a rout into one of the tributaries, then ride down that sandy canyon he's parked at so he can test out the rig in the sand wash as well as his desalination methods and kayak. He's been getting some great go pro footage and I'm sure he'll want to record some shots of him traversing the sandy washs on the bike with trailer. That way he'll be confident all of all of his methods to explore the main canyon system for next time.

Not a bad way to fill out a few weeks in Baja...!

-Mark...
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Larry, would you confirm that the GPS you posted (and the location on the GE images above) are correct for Uncle Erle's 1960's base camp? Thank you!

Edit: Just checked, and no new Spot from Mark since he returned to Villa Bahia two days ago...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

[Edited on 1-2-2014 by David K]

David
Yes, that is the place, mas o' menos. Herman and I went out there about 10 years ago. He was kind enough to help me in trying to find a way into the canyon overland. He showed me about where they camped and then showed me what he called a trail up and over the hill towards Botica dry lake. You have to take a lot of what Herman said with a grain of salt, but on that day he seemed pretty straight forward. We had a good time. He had lots of stories. Some true and others suspect. I never found what I consider an easy way in there. You can walk in or even take animals in there but you have to bring so much water for an expedition like that, that it gets to be too much real quick. it is a very unforgiving place until you get into the canyon itself. In the canyon itself there was lots of water and shade from palm trees so pretty pleasant.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Well he is on his way again. He camped yesterday (Jan. 2) about 0.1 miles south of the left fork in the Y in the road that takes him toward Botica Dry Lake.

Here is the image off the Spot page... and you can see where he was yesterday and perhaps this morning (#8) and where he was in Salsipuedes a few days ago, to the west. La Botica dry lake is at the top center, and just west of it is Salsipuedes Canyon. Mark is next to Laguna Seca dry lake, on the road that goes to Los Candeleros Canyon and out to the coast by Punta Candelero.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 10:59 AM

Mark,
Car rental insurance most likely does not cover the car for "outback" situations....read the fine print....the closest rental agency is likely either Ensenada or Loreto.

I respect your perseverance... buena suerte paisano.

Don't believe everything you think....
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Mark,
Car rental insurance most likely does not cover the car for "outback" situations....read the fine print....the closest rental agency is likely either Ensenada or Loreto.

I respect your perseverance... buena suerte paisano.

Sounds like a good car wash is in order before the drop off...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 12:46 PM
Heading West! Friday 10:13 AM

Former Spot #8 is now #6, and his newest location is #7, at a small hill.

Your Local Time:
1/3/2014 10:13:00 AM
Coordinates: (WGS84)
29.26672 , -113.87129
Message Detail:
SPOT Check OK.

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 01:49 PM

Just sent another spot signal. He's continuing on to the hills on the other side of the playa...
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.