Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Food Report - Ensenada to Loreto
sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2013 at 08:03 AM
Food Report - Ensenada to Loreto

Ensenada (from best to worst):

La Guerrerenses tostado stand - the absolute best food and deal in town. Ate there 3 times and loved it.

Birrieria La Guadalajara - Tired of fish? Get one each of the small portions of goat, beef and lamb with all the fixings and it will feed 6 people. That and beers comes to about 80 pesos each. There is no better bargain and no better Birrieria in the area.

El Rey Sol - continúes to get good reviews on trip advisor, but it's terrible and way over priced.

El Rosario - Mama Ezpinoza's - to say I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. The waitress looked miserable. The salsa was served with Tostitos. The food was mediocre. The prices were way to high for what they were serving. Some body needs to step in and save this place.

Guerro Negro - Malarrimo - also disappointed. The menu is so americanized and bland. The wait staff are disinterested, the prices too high. Wish we had gone somewhere else, as we saw lots of great options while driving around the next day.

San Ignacio - street vendors are fantastic and Tootsie's is a total treat. From the grilled oysters to the amazing ice cream, we enjoyed every single bite. Sit in the courtyard and linger over a meal you would never expect in this isolated location.

Road food - we stopped at a couple of places in the middle of nowhere because the trucks were stopped there. Can't tell you the names or even the exact locations, but they provided some of the best food of the trip.

Just arrived in Loreto and hope to explore some of the local food.

Lesson learned - stay away from the top rated places on trip advisor. They tend to be places that unadventurous americans who don't want to feel that they have strayed too far from home tend to like.

[Edited on 12-4-2013 by sequoyah]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-4-2013 at 11:56 AM

Thanks for the report... too bad you didn't note the truck stop names or Km. locations... but, that is usually a good sign of comfort food.

Guerrero Negro: Malarrimo once was rated as some of the best food in Baja by author (and Nomad) Greg Niemann (GregN)... Things change, indeed... While we never had a bad meal there the same is often reported true at Mama Espinoza's... lack of consistency at most Baja tourist places.

Keep up the road reporting... we stuck north of the border really enjoy it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2013 at 12:11 PM
Thanks DavidK

Estoy enferma esta día. Boo!

However, I am nestled in my cabana with some hot dogs and frijoles that I got from the little market down the street.

I know I am still walking on clouds just to be here, but I swear that even the little things from these markets are better than what I get in the states.

I feel better already and hope to get out tonight.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-4-2013 at 12:21 PM

Get well soon... Not that it helps you now, but I have only once gotten sick eating 'street food' in Mexico... and that was a clam c-cktail in San Felipe back in 2003. Never again... :o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2013 at 12:27 PM
I have a cold.

The food has given me no trouble at all and I have eaten everything presented to me!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.