Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Article on Crime in Mexico
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 12:31 AM
Article on Crime in Mexico

http://www.banderasnews.com/1308/to-amar-how-safe-is-mexico....

Article on crime in Mexico vs. other countries. Interesting, but wonder why they didn't include the murder rates.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:24 AM

You simply cannot trust any official stats on crime in Mexico. This, according to estimates by watchdog groups and media organizations within Mexico.

And if you're wondering why no murder rates were specifically discussed; well, it's an article put out by a group selling real estate in Mexico.

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:48 AM

BS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
BS

Who??? What????

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 09:01 AM

I'd agree with the article. I feel WAY safer in Mexico then in the States.

In Australia we've had many articles and news stories on the gun violence in the U.S and the dangers involved in visiting the country. One article questioned how long before the Australian Government puts travel warnings similar to third world countries for aussie travellers.

Of course I could be shot and killed tomorrow here in mx. Ya get that! ;)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 09:05 AM
Crime in Mexico

Since there is no national uniform crime reporting system in Mexico, there is no accurate way to determine the crime rate in any specific category.

I doubt there is even a uniform system that defines the types of crimes, and no formal or required procedure of reporting crime statistics to a central database.

The other issue is the reporting of crimes to the authorities. Unlike the Us or Canada, many crimes that should be reported are not due to a lack of confidence or trust in the law enforcement community.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Since there is no national uniform crime reporting system in Mexico, there is no accurate way to determine the crime rate in any specific category.

I doubt there is even a uniform system that defines the types of crimes, and no formal or required procedure of reporting crime statistics to a central database.

The other issue is the reporting of crimes to the authorities. Unlike the Us or Canada, many crimes that should be reported are not due to a lack of confidence or trust in the law enforcement community.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV
Yep, most locals don't bother to report crimes either for fear of reprisal or because they know that it's a complete waste of time.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
I feel WAY safer in Mexico then in the States.

That has been expressed before, maybe not the WAY
safer part. In Mex, I'm a LOT more aware about my
immediate surroundings. When in Mex I don't carry
$$$ that I can't afford to lose, like just enough for
the outing. I don't have that concern in the US,
what's that line, it's hard to prove a negative, because
something has not happened, does'nt prove it is safer.
As posted, articles written by the Tourist Industry/
Real Estate concerns, should be disqualified as legit
sources
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonno_aus
I'd agree with the article. I feel WAY safer in Mexico then in the States.

Well....keep going to locations that make you feel that way, and your fears may become prophetic. Maybe an evening stroll through downtown Detroit, for instance........then you can come back here and say all the US is just like Detroit.

Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 01:11 PM

It's ok. Relax! I feel safer in Mexico then in Australia too. Less likely to get shot in Australia then the US as well.

Detroit? If its anything like LA, Newark and Sydney, I'll pass. :D
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Yep, most locals don't bother to report crimes either for fear of reprisal or because they know that it's a complete waste of time.

We had a high profile case over here where two local cops were caught breaking into a house. Turns out there were responsible for numerous breakins over a three month period. They even found their stash house with many items from the gringo households. However, all that the victims were allowed to view were pictures of what was supposedly recovered, not the actual goods. It became obvious that many of the big ticket items were already gone.......or possibly not being photographed. :o

They also force people to produce a purchase receipt for EVERYTHING they claim. Well, some of these items were 20-30 years old. Even expensive clothes were stolen and who keeps receipts for clothes? Sixteen months later and no one has gotten a thing back. I imagine the recovered goods will dwindle even further as Christmas approaches.:rolleyes:

Of course the police charge exorbitant amounts for simply filing a police report; up to 50.00 US. Then, there's the interpreter you have to hire, if you dont speak Spanish. An interpreter for EACH visit to see what hoop you have to jump through NEXT to get your goods back. And then do this X 2, as you typically need to file with the state police, too.

Locals cant afford to file charges. Yeah, it's not 50.00 to them, but they arent going to pay for a report that will get no results anyway.

Oh, and the cops that were caught red-handed? They walked. Lost their jobs, but they walked. When they were finally caught they were breaking into the home of a Canadian. But the prosecutor dragged his feet on formally filing charges............until the Canadian left the country. You know, the old 6 months here, 6 months there routine. After he left, the prosecutor came out and said, the VICTIM didnt finish filing the proper paperwork to hold them. Of course, the victim had to show his FMT to initially file, so the suspicion is that the prosecutor just noted his expiration date........and then dropped the charges after that.

The fact that the eye witness to the breakin (his Mexican national gardener/house keeper who saw the breakin and called the police) was still here was immaterial to the case, apparently. The police were caught at the scene, gardener right there to finger them.

In one other previous breakin (not related), the victim was actually shown his recovered, stolen stereo equipment. But he had to produce the receipt which was in the States. 'Nothing can be released without the receipt, senor!' So, he went back to the US and got the receipts.........only to find that the stereo equipment was no longer in the police's possession. It had mysteriously disappeared with no explanation.

You really need to live down here to understand how it works.

Crime stats are a sham. Locals dont file and neither do the gringos after word gets around on how the system works. If it's a breakin, no one wants the police over to your house, looking over whatever you have left and determining how much you might pay to keep the case "open".

Low crime country, indeed. :rolleyes:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

We had a high profile case over here where two local cops were caught breaking into a house. Turns out there were responsible for numerous breakins over a three month period. They even found their stash house with many items from the gringo households. However, all that the victims were allowed to view were pictures of what was supposedly recovered, not the actual goods. It became obvious that many of the big ticket items were already gone.......or possibly not being photographed. :o

I had a friend, a national, who had his house robbed. The culprits were caught and the stolen sound system recovered. The police wouldn't return the property saying they had to keep it for evidence...forever.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 01:02 PM

Six people have been arrested in the theft of a truck carrying radioactive material in Mexico, an official tells the AP. All were admitted to a hospital in Pachuca, central Mexico, where they're being tested for radiation exposure. Another official says all six are dizzy and showing skin irritation, but just one is suffering from vomiting, which is associated with radiation poisoning. According to tests, however, "none are showing immediate signs" of such poisoning, nor are any in serious condition.

Following the hospitalization, the suspects are set to go to Mexico's federal authorities. The stolen shipment had 3,000 curries of radioactivity, placing it in Category 1: "It would probably be fatal to be close to this amount of unshielded radioactive material for a period in the range of a few minutes to an hour," the International Atomic Energy Agency said. Another expert has said the thieves "will, without a doubt, die" from the exposure.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Another expert has said the thieves "will, without a doubt, die" from the exposure.

Thanks for the good news, Ceeesco.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.