Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Aid/Trauma Kits and Medical Supplies
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 07:09 AM
First Aid/Trauma Kits and Medical Supplies

As just about anyone on this board knows, getting prompt emergency medical care can be problematic in Baja, and can often make the difference between life and death.

After spending hundreds of dollars and many hours putting together kits for myself and my friends, in 2002 I finally gave in and had a Firefighter friend of mine order me a "real" trauma kit with almost everything I wanted.

It came from "Galls", a supplier to the Public Safety industry, and at the time, it cost me roughly $400. That might seem like a lot when you're sitting at home in front of your computer, but when you really need it, it's worth it's weight in gold!

I was on eBay last week, and found a company called Buckeye Public Safety selling the same brand of Trauma Kit for much, much less money. I immediately thought of all the Nomads cruising around Baja with no more than a couple of band-aids and a roll of duct tape, and I figured I'd pass this along!

They offer 6 or 8 different (fully stocked) kits, as well as empty bags, splints, O2 therapy sets, etc. at VERY good prices! They don't stock injectables, surgical sets, IV therapy kits, prescription drugs or perishables (Bags of Ringer's, Ipecac, etc.), but you can often obtain those supplies locally, depending on local laws and regulations.

Here's a "sample" of one of their Trauma Kits. They're selling for around $125 or so at Auction, a little more or less at eBay's "buy it now" pricing. Consider it cheap health insurance. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around, right? Cameron...

Sold on eBay by ?Buckeye Public Safety? (eBay D.B.A. B.P.Safety)
EBay 911 Sales/Buckeye Public Safety telephone # : 740-532-3938 10 to 5 EST in USA, Mon thru Thurs.

EMT/Fire/Rescue Trauma Kit, fully stocked.
11 Extra Large removable interior compartments
Elastic section instrument divider & loops
3 Outer Zippered pockets for larger bandages and instrument use
60 inch adjustable shoulder strap for easy carrying
Heavy duty carrying handle
22" x 16" x 14"

THIS BAG COMES WITH THE FOLLOWING SUPPLIES :
1 PR TRAUMA SHEARS
1 PEN LIGHT
1 HEMOSTAT
20 VINYL GLOVES (LATEX FREE)
16 - 1" X 3" ADHESIVE BANDAGE STRIPS
10 XL PLASTIC BANDAGES
10 KNUCKLE BANDAGES
10 FINGER TIP BANDAGES
10 ALCOHOL PREP PADS
10 PVP IODINE SWABS
10 BZK ANTISEPTIC WIPES
10 INSECT/BEE STING WIPES
10 UNITS OF TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT
1 TWO INCH STERILE ROLLER GAUZE
1 THREE INCH STERILE ROLLER GAUZE
1 TWO INCH ACE ELASTIC BANDAGE WRAP
2 STERILE 8X10 ABD MULTI TRAUMA DRESSING PADS
10 STERILE 5" X 9" ABD PADS
20 STERILE 4 X 4 GAUZE PADS
50 STERILE 2 X 2 GAUZE PADS
2 XL STERILE OVAL EYE PADS
2 XL TRIANGLE BANDAGE WITH SAFETY PINS
1 ROLL OF TRI-CUT TAPE
1 RESCUE EMERGENCY FOIL BLANKET
2 INSTANT ICE COLD PACK
ONE (1) 4oz BOTTLE OF STERILE SALINE/EYE WASH
2 PACKETS OF WATER GEL - BURN GEL BURN OINTMENT
1 BITE STICK
1 CPR FACE SHIELD
1 INFANT BERMAN OPA AIRWAY
1 CHILD BERMAN OPA AIRWAY
1 ADULT SMALL BERMAN OPA AIRWAY
1 ADULT MEDIUM BERMAN OPA AIRWAY
1 ADULT LARGE BERMAN OPA AIRWAY
1 ADULT XL BERMAN OPA AIRWAY
1 PAIR OF SAFETY / BLOOD BORNE PATHOGENS EYE SHIELDS
1 BIOHAZARD BAG
1 BIOHAZARD BAG TIE

:light:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 10:03 AM

Thanks, I looked at the site and they have about anything one would want in the first aide kit area.

I agree, it's probably the most important thing you take to the backroads and trails in Baja.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 04:44 PM

they're nor for an obstructed airway. they are to keep an airway open on an uncoscious person. drop it in and twist. the hooked end goes into the mouth against a cheek until the part you're holding is to the outside of the teeth. at that point you twist it so the hook ends up at the top of the throat. the teeth hold it in place and you have one open airway.
it probably won't feel to good if you recover, hard plastic and all, but hey-you're still alive.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 05:14 PM

Cameron, I appreciate the concern but that must be one hell of a bag. It looks to contain about $20.00 worth of tape and gauze.:biggrin:

I don't suppose one could achieve the same results for a lot less money?

Cameron
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 05:48 PM
Medical Kits...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Cameron, I appreciate the concern but that must be one hell of a bag. It looks to contain about $20.00 worth of tape and gauze.:biggrin:

I don't suppose one could achieve the same results for a lot less money?

Hey! No offense taken here at all...
I know it seems like a lot of $$$, but if you look at retail costs on some of the specific items like airways, cpr masks, steel instruments, and LARGE trauma dressings, you'll start to appreciate the pricing. The bags themselves are sold as a stand-alone product, but the real value is in a fully stocked kit.

I've gone the DIY route for years, and believe me, there's a reason why I paid what I did for the equipment I've bought.

It's also easy to under-appreciate the organizational features of the bags as well: Imagine fumbling through a big Tupperware box or a stuff bag for a compression bandage in the darkness and chaos of a nighttime accident scene while you've got broken glass grinding into your knees, smoke in your eyes, and all you can hear is screaming and crying all around you. It's pretty rare that you'll need a kit like this in the middle of a calm, sunny environment, and when you DO need it, every second will count.

Take a look at the pile of equipment you (most of us) have at home and consider what you've spent so far. Now ask yourself how many of those items could save your life, or the life of others. $150 seems like a bargain to me!

One last thing: In a previous post, the need for adequate training is mentioned, and I realized that I haven't addressed that subject at all.

Some instruments, equipment, and/or procedures DO require professional training to be applied safely. However, all of the items in the kit I referenced can be used safely with a minimum amount of training, and as was also pointed out, I'd rather have a sore throat from an amateurish airway insertion than be dead. I bet most of us know at least one health care worker, Firefighter, or EMS worker who could show you how to safely use all of the equipment listed in 1/2 hour.

Like I said before, better to have it and not need it, than the other way around! :)

Thanks to all... Cameron

Woody: Are you with the FD in San Diego, or work in the Medical field? What's your take on this whole deal?

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 06:19 PM
Excellent post and a good kit but if you don't want to pony up the money...

Get a few trauma dressings, or an unopened box of sanitary napkins(they soak up blood great;) ).
Decent tape.
Kling and Curlex are great for wrapping dressings/splints.
Sam splints(shapeable)
Hydrogen peroxide.
Instant ice packs/as many as possible.
Neosporin.
Big box of different size band aids.
Trauma shears/good knife/good scissors.
Benadryl.
All that other stuff is great if you know what to do w/it and have the other stuff that goes along w/it.
Airways are great if you need them and are willing to use them.

Kind of a poor man's kit but these won't take up much room and hopefully the only thing you'll ever use is the hydrogen peroxide, band aids and neosporin.

A first aid class.

Union thug.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 08:05 PM

that's the rub-either you can afford to have the peace of mind of a comprehensive trauma kit or you are able to address the most likely scenarios and pack accordingly.

as in all aspects of life, there is always a trade off- you have everything under the sun (hopefully you or another in your group will be able to utilize what you have) or you have things that have double or triple uses if you have the experience (there always comes a point where getting involved is an iffy proposition in a foreign land, unfortunately!) and if it's that BAD, well hey, you can't pack EVERYTHING can you?

i spend almost 5 years as a ff/emt 15-20 years ago and learned a whole hell of a lot about myself, as well as the stupid situations human beings get themselves into. as far as training goes, every person who camps out in remote (can't easily rely on 911) places should be familiar with, if not certified in cpr-at a minimum-if not first aid. call your local red cross or american heart association for more info.

even almost 20 years later i still get re-certified "cpr for first responders" every few years just to keep sharp.

you never know........

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 08:25 PM

FrankO, we speak the same language.

A litre squeeze bottle of water to irrigate is a nice addition.

K.I.S.S.

Doug, perhaps a sticky topic to address this? "Build your own trauma kit"

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-24-2004 at 08:58 PM
First aid in Baja

I guess I'm a little unusual as a traveler in Baja. I do it a bunch.
Here is what I carry in my first aid kit.
1. Hydrogen Pyroxide x 2 to share.
2. Repellants
3. Bandaids and Gauze
4. Tweezers and fingernail clippers
5. Antibiotics
6. Water purification tablets
7. Dog snake bite stuff
8. Razor knife
9. Duct tape
10. Stomach stuff
If you are in the remote areas, they have remedies for almost everything.
If you are on a highway and encounter an accident, do what you can, but carrying everything to be prepared for every circumstance can be pretty costly and perhaps an ambulance would make a fine camper, just in case.
I think it's time to get into the medicinal plants. I will look in my notes.
And a great topic, to be sure!
Cameron
Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:00 AM
On The Lighter Side of This Topic...

Anybody here ever run a Ringer's IV for a quick hangover remedy???
I'd never heard that one before a couple of years ago, but a friend of mine 'fessed up during a particularly ugly post-bachelor party recovery.
All the other attendees were green around the gills the next day, but he was all bright-eyed and bushy tailed, despite participating in some unprecedented debauchery the night before.
Turns out he came to that morning with his face pressed against some nice, cool tiles, half in and half out of a lobby-level bathroom stall at the hotel we were at. He knew he was looking at a couple of hours of dry-heaving through a wedding party, so he decided to head out to his truck and plug himself into an IV.
He must have still been drunk!
Anyway, aside from a couple of weird looks from passers-by while he had a bag of saline hanging from his rear-view mirror, I guess it worked just great! Is my buddy just a freak, or has anyone else heard of this one??? Cameron
:tumble:

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 11:49 AM

I've seen it happen.....

Union thug.
Cameron
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 03:31 PM
Ringer's: Shaken, or Stirred???

You take yours with a little umbrella, some crushed ice, and an orange slice, or straight up at room temp??? ;)

Just kidding! Thanks for the response...
Cameron:biggrin:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 09:17 AM
A question for you experts...

I carry a Boy Scout in a red cordura bag, he has all the stuff already with him...BUT SERIOUSLY, the chemical cold packs stay in my bags over long periods of time, and they sometimes take some pretty rough treatment (in the boat), is there any way to tell for sure if they are still in working condition? You can't test 'em! That'd be like breaking the shower door to make sure it was tempered glass!!! Very expensive if it is.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 09:27 AM
I hope someone answers that

because I have a bunch of them that I have been wondering about.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 09:48 AM
Well then,

looks like I have a lot more room for hydrogen pyroxide and bandaids!:lol:
Thanks HoseA.
Cameron
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 12-4-2004 at 03:14 PM
Expiration Dates & Yearly Re-Packs

Lidocaine (injectable) should be stamped w/a lot and date #. If it's stored in warm to hot weather or in a vehicle, should be thrown out by that date. I've never used the salve, but I think it should also have a clearly marked exp. date on it.
I know the FDA requires date/lot # markings on all drugs sold in the USA, but if you bought the Lidocaine down south or it's not in the original packaging, I'd toss it after a year.

I don't have any ideas on how to test the chemical cold packs, sure wish I did! I read the last couple of posts and decided to pull a couple from the kit in my truck. I had only one of three work for me! I think they might end up getting crushed just enough to activate them through normal handling in a soft-sided bag. I think I'm going to pack 4 or 5 in a sandwich-sized Tupperware box and repack them. Maybe that'll keep them in better shape over time...

RE: "Sticky" stuff like Band-Aids, tape, etc. - It seems like most tape holds up pretty well for a couple of years compared to Band-Aids, maybe because the adhesive layer is so much thicker. Depending on the type of kit you're building, (general "home" use/cuts & bruises vs. emergency response/life threatening injuries) you might find you only pack a small handfull of Band-Aids, and luckily, they're cheap to replace!

When you buy a new kit or re-stock your existing one, make a list of all of the perishable items.
Don't forget the little single-use packets of ointments or antiseptics, "Second Skin" or other gel-type burn dressings, sunblock, and meds in tablet form (Ibuprofen, antibiotics, etc). All injectables (including Epi pens) and prescription drugs should have a date marked on them, and you should check it while packing and make a note of it on your master list.
If you carry bags of Ringers, they may not be dated depending on where they came from. I've been told they'll keep for longer than a year, but I don't know for sure, and I'd list them as well.

Make a habit of doing a yearly inspection and repack your kit fully while replacing ALL "perishable" items. You'll always have fresh meds and sticky tape, and if nothing else, it'll refresh your memory as to exactly where everything is.
That part seems like a no-brainer, but hopefully you don't have to use ANY of your kit too often, and it's nice to know where stuff is if you have to go digging for a dressing in the dark some night!

Drive safe, and if you'll be on the road in Baja during the last two weeks of December/1st week of January, be extra careful. The number of accidents during this time seems to skyrocket every year. Folks going on vacation, holiday parties, extra traffic from the US, it all adds up to trouble. Have fun, but be careful!

Thanks for reading!.. Cameron

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.