Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: ? regarding shade cloth for patio covers
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 12:03 PM

I didn't see anywhere in the thread of where you are..
There is a little shop in LaPaz that stocks shade cloth in different colors and density's.. They have it in 6' and 12' widths...
you pick what you want and they cut it to size,, also will hem the edges and put grommets where you want them if that is what you want to do maybe other ways to tie down maybe..
The price didn't seem too out of line for Mexico but not as good as the states of course...
we have had them do several for us,.. usually takes a couple of days...
As for metal roofing... I used to install metal roofing in the states and it comes in many colors... but have not checked in BAJA for availability... I have seen it in galv. Home Depot should be able to order it for you...if that is the way you want to go... its called ProPanel or ABC among other manuf...

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
We're finally getting the front of the cabin completed and will have a 10'X24' area to cover. Thinking of using the green sheeting that nursuries often use to shade a large area and wondering what the experiences have been from others who have used it.
Is there a 'best' way of attaching it? Does it really block the sun? Will a powerfull wind shred it?

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveD
We've been getting shade cloth on-line from "The Shade Cloth store". They have it in various densities: 30% to 90%, depending on what you are using it for. We use the 50% for plants and the 90% for the patio where we sit. It comes in a lot of colors plus an aluminum coated type that reflects the heat. It comes with a reinforced 2" edge with grommits every 2 feet. We just tie it down with nylon cord. That also makes it easy to take down.

The shade cloth in 6" wide rolls you get at Home Depot is 85%. We use to use it over a patio with 50% lathe, the the combination created too much shade. Also, it would catch the wind and billow up. We now have a single 12" wide piece of 50% cloth. The wind goes right through it.

You must mean 6 FEET and 12 FEET, right?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveD
We've been getting shade cloth on-line from "The Shade Cloth store".

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/Default.aspx?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
There is a little shop in LaPaz that stocks shade cloth in different colors and density's.. They have it in 6' and 12' widths...

Do you have an address or directions?

We are looking to have some panels made, probably next week.

See lots of shop fronts advertising "mallasombra" but it would be nice to use a shop with a satisfied clientele.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Metal roofing: a few times that I have been under metal roofing in the summer it seemed to radiate the heat downward. Does it come in white to reflect the heat?

I've never seen any that wasn't galvanized, so painting may be a problem, should that idea occur.
It comes in powder coated colors also. I have a shop with a galvanized roof and it stays surprisingly cool.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 01:50 PM

I wish I could remember the name of the shop, But here goes.. Its about a block or 2 past the divided street 5th of February as you drive toward the malechon..on your left side... little storefront with trees lining the sidewalk kind of hidden,, there is also an open air pollo restaurant nest to it... I will try to find a name but not sure it's on the building... "middle of the block"
good luck with these directions...

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:

See lots of shop fronts advertising "mallasombra" but it would be nice to use a shop with a satisfied clientele.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 01:59 PM

Gracias, I'll give it a try.

When you say "past the 5th of Feb, toward the malecon" I'm guessing that is Abasolo, the street that eventually turns into the malecon proper.

There is a big pollo restaurant on the right, sounds pretty close to the marine hardware store on a left side corner, and near the Arjona marine store on the right. There's a Pemex near there somewhere, too.

We will cruise Abasolo the next time in La Paz.

Many thanks.

Quote:
I wish I could remember the name of the shop, But here goes.. Its about a block or 2 past the divided street 5th of February as you drive toward the malechon..on your left side... little storefront with trees lining the sidewalk kind of hidden,, there is also an open air pollo restaurant nest to it... I will try to find a name but not sure it's on the building... "middle of the block"

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 06:28 PM

I was really impressed with the effectiveness of a vertical windbreak of shade cloth that Blanca and Les have on their back patio at La Bocana. I don't know what % it was, but it really cut the wind nicely and seemed to be holding-up real well.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 02:35 PM

Quote:

La Karpa on Abasolo?

http://goo.gl/maps/adlO1

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by BajaNomad]

lakarpa-lapaz-bcs.jpg - 50kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

La Karpa on Abasolo?

http://goo.gl/maps/adlO1

this would be the correct place... now maybe I will remember
the name for awhile..
thanks

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by BajaNomad]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:44 PM

When you start talking 2 x 6's as framework, you're talking money.
In that case you're better of getting a palapa roof.
I just had one installed over a 40 sq meter patio. Cost $3500. Should have done this years ago, would have saved money because of leakage into the downstairs.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:21 AM

...a beautiful,practical,inexpen$ive,durable option for patio covering is to use old sailboat jibs...used ones can be had at saillofts for not much!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
...a beautiful,practical,inexpen$ive,durable option for patio covering is to use old sailboat jibs...used ones can be had at saillofts for not much!

Great idea

I would guess though that they would need a substantial support framework. These things were made to Pull .....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:59 AM

Is lamina really metal? Ours sure looks like it's fiberglass or some kind of composite like polycarbonate. Terra cotta finish.

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 08:47 AM

Hey neighbor. I have that green shade cloth over my patio under the polycarbonate roof. I hate it cuz it collects dirt. Gonna tear it down when I get the energy. I don't need the sun protection and it just looks dirty to me. And when the sun is hottest I usually want to be on the water or under my tree!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Is lamina really metal? Ours sure looks like it's fiberglass or some kind of composite like polycarbonate. Terra cotta finish.
That's a different product, lamina is metal roofing like in a tin roof.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 09:54 AM

Shade or no shade ... is an individual choice

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.