Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hotel report - Ensenada to La Paz
sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:02 PM
Hotel report - Ensenada to La Paz

Ensenada - El Rey Sol - recommended

We had to put the boat in the yard for a week and stayed here. It is very close to the harbor on "Gringo Gulch". It is on the quieter end and is very nicely located. The rooms are decent, the staff very helpful and it is a decent price ($65/night if booked through a third party internet site). If you book directly with them, you get a few perks - breakfast, an hour of free margaritas and a Fast Pass for the border, but it will cost about $20 more. The internet is good, the TV not so much. There was a very tiny balcony off the back that overlooked a very dumpy area behind other businesses, but it was good if you smoke. It's an easy walk to restaurants and other businesses and not overrun with tourists. They have lots of ice, always a plus in my book.

El Rosario - Baja Cactus - recommended

The reviews are accurate, imo. The room was huge with two king sized beds, but quite dark. Good TV and internet. Clean and nicely decorated, but could use some better lighting. We experienced LOTS of noise from the room upstairs, which should probably be carpeted to cut down on this. There is also a significant amount of truck noise. The staff were not very friendly or helpful, but they were efficient. I had emailed them to hold a room and while when we got there rooms were still available, it was full by 7 or so. The price is excellent (450 pesos). No ice, but the Pemex next store has it. We had hot water for about 3 minutes into a shower, then it was gone. The one window in the room, which opened to the back, is really not usable because there is a terrible smell of sewerage from that direction. They have plans to expand, which is good. They have a very small patio area, but would benefit from a bigger communal area where road warriors could meet.

Guerrero Negro - Malarimmo Hotel - recommended

Decent room which felt safe. We heard that there were problems with parking lot security at another hotel in the ares, but our car was fine. Staff was efficient, but not particularly friendly or helpful. The room was adequate, but the beds and bedding are pretty old and not very comfortable. Internet did not work at all at first. They said it was because I had a Mac, but after several complaints, they found a problem on their end and fixed it. There was a lot of kitchen noise near our room, but it ended early. The room was not particularly clean, the coffee maker did not work at all, the TV sucked and I chose not to use the shower due to it being just plain dirty. There's not much to choose from in this town and this is probably the best for the price (550 pesos).

San Ignacio - Casa Leree - highly recommended

First of all, I would stay there just to spend more time with Juanita. She's a delightful person and a wealth of knowledge. Her photo albums and collected items are really fun. She is renting only two rooms right now. They both have a toilet (curtained off) and sink. The shower is shared and not connected to the rooms. The courtyard is huge and full of wonderful plants, sitting areas, a hammock and her great dogs. While the rooms are very simple and could use some more attention to lighting, they are comfortable and interesting. Internet is good, but you have to be outside in the courtyard to get it. She provides parking in her courtyard which felt very secure. Juanita has devoted herself to San Ignacio and provides maps for two walks. The one right behind her house is seriously difficult. The other is challenging, but doable, at least at this time of year. It takes you up the mesa for some stunning overlooks and scenery. We loved being a block off the plaza. It's tiny and simple, but there is often music being played and folks just hanging out.
We like Juanita so much, we had dinner with her one night at Tootsies (also very highly recommended). Be aware that there are not many dining options, but Juanita will let you use the kitchen if you want.

Loreto - Las Cabanas - the big splurge and highly recommended.

Jill has created a little bit of paradise one block off the Malecon in a quiet residential area. She has four rooms and they are wonderful. We had too queens which were really nice and had great bedding. There is a kitchenette and Jill stocks you with a couple of beers, yogurt, granola, fresh fruit and cookies. In the evenings, she puts out margarita fixings. The pool was too chilly, but the hot tub (which is "on demand" was perfectly perfect. There are lots of areas to hang out outside either by yourself or with you fellow travelers. Parking is inside the gate and secure and the "staff" (mostly Jill and her parents) very welcoming and helpful. She has snorkeling and beach gear and pretty much anything you could want. She also has ice and laundry facilities. There is no television reception, but the internet is very good and she has an extensive DVD collection. The place was immaculately clean and very quiet. For some reason, there were a lot of lightbulbs missing and the lighting is not very good in the room, but that is minor in comparison to all the good things. It's more than I generally like to pay ($95 US), but worth it and not a bad price at all in comparison to other places in town. The Plaza area is about a 6 - 7 block walk. Jill will put you together with a local fisherman and his panga. My travel mate went out and came home with a beautiful filleted yellowtail. Jill's father sliced it thin and we ate it raw with the other guests that were staying there. In addition to the cooking facilities in your room, there is a large outdoor grilling area with just about everything you could possibly need. If you are reading this, Jill, you are doing an outstanding job!

La Paz - Hotel Paradise - not recommended

We stayed here one night because my travel companion had an extremely early flight. It was horrible. Although they have tried to make it look upscale, it has broken furniture, the most illogical sink I have ever seen (splashes all over you and everything else every time you turn it on), no ice or even glasses in the room. The rooms are all around the pool and it's noisy a lot. The attached restaurant is really bad and the staff is quite unfriendly and unhelpful. Parking is not at all secure, though we did not have a problem. A group of men either checked in or came home at about 4AM. They were drunk, extraordinarily loud and decided to jump into the pool and whoop it up. No one came to tell them to stop. And, icing on the cake, a pervert was in the room directly across from us masturbating with his blinds open. The TV was good and they did provide airport transportation for my friend and one cup of free coffee in the morning. Fairly inexpensive (750 pesos) but not at all worth it. Don't be fooled by the fancy sign.

La Paz - Casabuena - recommended if you are on a budget and like something very simple but adequate.

Located in a somewhat run down residential area about 10 blocks from the Melacon, this is a place run by some really nice people and has a great feel to it. It appears to be under constant repair and renovation, which it could use, but is a really good bargain ($45 US with the standard room). The rooms are very simple and could use some updated beds and other furniture. There is no TV and the wifi is hit or miss. The neighborhood is a little noisy, but not overwhelming. You share a very large kitchen living area that is stocked with everything you might need to fix a meal. There is a guy selling fresh asparagus on the corner and a great chicken rotisserie take out place about 3 blocks away, as well as an enormous grocery store. The sink in the room dripped constantly and the shower area was not particularly clean or inviting. There is nothing other than a bar of soap available. Still, the owners make you feel very welcomed and are super nice people. If you are looking for anything remotely upscale, you will not be happy here. If you want to be reminded of your hostel days, you will be delighted.

La Paz - CostaBaja Marina - recommended

Ok, the hotel/resort is super fancy and expensive, BUT if you have a boat and it FINALLY gets here, the marina is a great bargain and you get the run of the place. The other marinas are much closer to town, but I like being out of town a bit. They provide shuttle service and there are lots of dining options, a small and reasonable store and other amenities. I am very glad to be back in my home.

Sorry if this was too wordy and hope someone, somewhere will find useful information.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:20 PM

"Guerrero Negro - Malarimmo Hotel - recommended

Decent room which felt safe. We heard that there were problems with parking lot security at another hotel in the ares, but our car was fine. Staff was efficient, but not particularly friendly or helpful. The room was adequate, but the beds and bedding are pretty old and not very comfortable. Internet did not work at all at first. They said it was because I had a Mac, but after several complaints, they found a problem on their end and fixed it. There was a lot of kitchen noise near our room, but it ended early. The room was not particularly clean, the coffee maker did not work at all, the TV sucked and I chose not to use the shower due to it being just plain dirty. There's not much to choose from in this town and this is probably the best for the price (550 pesos)."

And still you recommend it? Makes my usual stay at The Dunas sound even better. Clean but Spartan room, firm queen size bed and a clean functional shower. Quiet, wifi, and good parking all for $225Mn. I am happy to spend more on a room but it needs to be a lot better than what you describe.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 06:00 PM

There is not a hotel I would recommend in GN, if you are traveling by. But, if it is your destination, Los Caracoles and Cowboy are where I would stay.

Just a very cold and dusty(salty) town where the chief entertainment is to drive back and forth on the main drag way into the night.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 06:52 PM

Hope someone tries the new Hotel just North of Vizcaino soon.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sequoyah
Guerrero Negro - Malarimmo Hotel - recommended

Decent room which felt safe. We heard that there were problems with parking lot security at another hotel in the ares, but our car was fine. Staff was efficient, but not particularly friendly or helpful. The room was adequate, but the beds and bedding are pretty old and not very comfortable. Internet did not work at all at first. They said it was because I had a Mac, but after several complaints, they found a problem on their end and fixed it. There was a lot of kitchen noise near our room, but it ended early. The room was not particularly clean, the coffee maker did not work at all, the TV sucked and I chose not to use the shower due to it being just plain dirty. There's not much to choose from in this town and this is probably the best for the price (550 pesos).

You recommend Malarimmo Hotel after trashing it? You must think nomads have zero to no standards.

Oh, and the funny thing is you ACCEPTED this room?

And you think Cowboy had parking security problems and Malarimmo Hotel doesn't?

Don't believe everything you read here. I don't.

Forgetaboutit.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:27 PM

it is MALARRIMO (two R's) and mean "Bad to be near".

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 06:58 AM

Regarding the Malarrimo, it sounds awful, maybe sequoyah forgot to type "not" before "recommended"???
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

I plan to try it next month. The last time I drove by, it wasn't finished. Anybody know what the name of it is?

Any suggested places to eat in Vizcaino?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:

I plan to try it next month. The last time I drove by, it wasn't finished. Anybody know what the name of it is?

Ralph, when we first saw that being built, we wondered if it was going to be a Hotel or Motel? Hopefully a hotel. :biggrin:

Eating in Vizcaino ---- very good food at Martita's at the north end of town on the east side of the highway. Not cheap and a bit slow, especially if they are busy, but very good, we think.

South end of town on the west side is Kadakaamán's --- very good food, not cheap and we always found it slower than Martita's.

Simple and very good food is the Chicken Rotisserie place on the west side in the middle of town --- sorry I don't remember the name, but very good and cheap.

Those are just our favorites.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:23 AM

malarimo's is only hotel in town with "character." the newer hotels may have less wear/tear, but hey are soulless newish concrete blocks buildings,...
the restaurant at malarimos is quite good, and nice decor.
the cleaning of hotels in GN varies day to day, so unfair to malign any one hotel due to single night,...
only had one bad experience in GN: stay away from don gus hotel.

i also prefer malarimos because no cars are parked near your hotel room door. some of the hotels have cars parked 3 feet from your bed, and they WILL wake you in the morning.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Darn. forgot but will get the name next week as I drive by If I have time I will stop. Big new sign out front now,, though.

Second Martitas and the mesquit chicken place (mid town, west side of road). Numerous other small places that all seem to be good.
sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:58 AM
Didn't know about that alternative.

I recommended it because I would stay there again and didn't see anything that looked better in GN.

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by sequoyah]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:34 AM

there is a new Fusion Chinese Restaurant in Vizcaino on the east side of the highway....sort of black building north of Sotres grocery store..fantastic chinese food buffet style you can choose from.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
will get the name next week as I drive by If I have time I will stop. Big new sign out front now,, though.

That would be much appreciated. Ask what the rates are por favor.

I don't understand how Baja Cactus in Rosarito can charge only 390p for a room in a somewhat isolated location while Malarrimo, Cowboy, and Caracoles in GN want 500 to 600p for no better or worse facilities than Baja Cactus. I wish there was a Baja Cactus in GN to shake the accommodations scene up a bit.

My opinion of Malarrimo Restaurant is overpriced mediocrity with imperious, uninterested
staff.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 10:47 AM

Baja Cactus Motel is in EL ROSARIO, next door to the Pemex station (also owned by the BajaCactus family), on Hwy. 1....

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
My opinion of Malarrimo Restaurant is overpriced mediocrity with imperious, uninterested staff.

imperious?

given that your name is "oxxo," i am sure you would be happier with the menu and service at the oxxo down the street :lol::lol::lol:;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:13 PM

We eat at Martita's too, it has internet, which makes me muy feliz! If you are in a hurry and let the waitress know that, they really speed up the meal. I do remember that someone once went with their kids and their orders never came .....ahhhh the service, the service.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:15 PM

On another note, why don't we urge Antonio to open a Baja Cactus in Vizcaino?! Or GNegro?!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
...and mean "Bad to be near".

Hadn't heard that one. What's your source?

Quite a number of sources... The restaurant/motel was named after the famous scavengers beach on the far side of Scammon's Lagoon (that big hook of Baja) ... Malarrimo was a warning to sailors to stay clear of this place full of ship wrecks and all the treasures of the Pacific Current.

Malarrimo = Bad to be near, in English
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I just opened up my Mike McMahan book, and on page 104:

Mal= Bad; Arrimar= to get near
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abreojos was another sailor's warning, to the south... OPEN YOUR EYES!

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by David K]

oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Baja Cactus Motel is in EL ROSARIO, next door to the Pemex station (also owned by the BajaCactus family), on Hwy. 1....

Yes, I meant El Rosario, not Rosarito.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.