BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: ACA - Obamacare?
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
I agree with Barbara Bellar, Candidate for State Senate who writes:

“So what the blank could possibly go wrong?”

American by birth, Mexican by choice.
Jeff Petersen

So you bailed on the US and you have no stake in the ACA? I will file your opinion in the appropriate file.

Bellar asks what could go wrong? Well she could be elected to office is what go wrong. She is incorrect in most of the points in her "humorous", snarky statement. She is running for a State office and commenting on a Federal program and fails to propose how she would care for the uninsured in her State. And she has been untruthful in her qualifications as nun, MD, and attorney. http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/kadner/15906477-452/k...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
I agree with Barbara Bellar, Candidate for State Senate who writes:

“So what the blank could possibly go wrong?”

American by birth, Mexican by choice.
Jeff Petersen

So you bailed on the US and you have no stake in the ACA? I will file your opinion in the appropriate file.

Bellar asks what could go wrong? Well she could be elected to office is what go wrong. She is incorrect in most of the points in her "humorous", snarky statement. She is running for a State office and commenting on a Federal program and fails to propose how she would care for the uninsured in her State. And she has been untruthful in her qualifications as nun, MD, and attorney. http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/kadner/15906477-452/k...

One comment on-line in response to that cited article:

Larry Wilson-NEW-74 days ago:

"Wow. I wish we could find out that much detail about the sitting President in the sum of every article that has ever been written about him, let alone one lone and minutia-dissecting piece like this."

That echos my initial feelings too. This article would not, in itself, keep me from voting for her.

Barry
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 10:15 AM

If Obamacare is so great why the waivers, exemptions, etc.? Regarding the truthfulness of Barbara Bellar. What about the big one, "If you like your insurance you can keep it". Liberals are very selective when it comes to pointing out a lie.:D
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
If Obamacare is so great why the waivers, exemptions, etc.? Regarding the truthfulness of Barbara Bellar. What about the big one, "If you like your insurance you can keep it". Liberals are very selective when it comes to pointing out a lie.:D

From my understanding, many of the policies were "cancelled" because the terms of the contract were changed. Thus, a new contract had to be created to include the new provisions of the health care law.

Were you as upset when we found out there were no WMDs?:?: I didn't think so...:o

oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Affordable Healthcare Act, is slowly going to become unaffordable. My health insurance premium went up $25.00 per month. My wifes went up $39.00 per month. All this since the inception of this new welfare program.

Now was the cost increase due to ACA or your insurance company raising their premiums because costs have gone up? Should doctors and hospitals freeze their rates just so your premiums don't go up?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Affordable Healthcare Act, is slowly going to become unaffordable. My health insurance premium went up $25.00 per month. My wifes went up $39.00 per month. All this since the inception of this new welfare program.

$25 and $39/month is a VERY small increase. Rarely seen a smaller increase over past decade. Sounds like ObamaCare is pretty good for your pocketbook :P
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
or you can work part-time at say a Library or something similar until you have accumulated the quarters. I too have never found any other way to do it,
Did you actually end up doing that?

Esoteric but related question: Say one doesn't have enough credits upon reaching 65, at which point he starts in on Medicare in the normal signup dates by paying the full part A premiums, while at the same time continuing to accumulate quarters by working at his friendly local library. Once he reaches 40 quarters, does Social Security then take over paying the part A premiums? :?:

I did not do this, but my Aunt did (I always thought that was sorta greedy as she did not need it). Unfortunately I am not sure of the details, so can't answer your questions. I personally never bothered to get the remaining quarters for SS because I did not need the money, and I always believed that SS was for those who needed it (apparently not the case, tho?!?!?!?).

I am short 5 or 6 quarters, I think (maybe less?) for collecting SS. I preferred to stop working rather than continue working in the private sector to get those last few quarters, and because of my life-long (40+ years) investments I was in good shape, money-wise.

Barry
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 04:39 PM

Okay, let’s see if we can agree on some basics here. The discussion, as most discussion on this forum take an immediate political twist and that certainly clouds the whole issue. First and foremost, Insurance is nothing more than collecting money from a large number of people, paying claims as well as expenses. On that basis, a one payer system would make a lot of sense. Collect money from all the people in a group, say the US citizens, and then pay all claims and expenses. If you had a really bad year with lots of expenses, then you would have to raise the premiums the following year to catch up or meet your expenses.
Here is where the issue starts to get cloudy. Who exactly should most effectively collect the fees and disburse the monies. If you are on the left side of the politic al spectrum as a lot of readers who have been weighing in here are, you think that the government is the logical choice. For those us who lean to the right who think that government is the problem instead of the solution, that thought scares the living daylights out of you. The government has yet to run anything efficiently, smoothly and for the lowest cost. They can’t even develop a web site that functions even though they have spent 623 million on the development and it is common knowledge about how much fraud and abuse has been present in the medicare and Medicaid delivery.
Insurance actuaries have spent years chasing cause and effect and have tried to stay ahead of the ball in terms of money coming in (premiums) and money going out (claims). Insurance companies have done some real crystal ball gazing and over a 10 year period they have averaged 1.5 to 4% profit margin. I don’t know how you could get it any closer than that. Of course they made money, that is how they pay back their investors. Now if the government were going to be a big actuary and collect all the premiums and pay out equal amounts in claims we would potentially have a successful system, but no, they throw in the income redistribution part of this law. Where the poor pay very little, if anything and the rich pay through the nose, and what we find is a grand scheme for income redistribution not health care delivery.
At least Mexico was more honest when they developed Seguros Popular. If you applied you were covered, period, but the bad news was that there was no more money than there had been before and certainly no more doctors or physical facilities, and no more prescription medications in the system. But at the political meetings they could brag to everyone that they had provided coverage for all the people of Mexico.

Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Oxxo, you are right that consumer reports and for the most part consumers are happy with a closed system HMO but that system is not for everyone. For run of the mill general medicine, Kaiser has proven itself to run efficiently and effectively. But when you get into the truly complicated situations that require the expertise of MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic, Cancer Centers of America, what you find is that there is another step above and beyond. For the average person, that is an acceptable delivery and works very well, but in many cases (as my many years as a health insurance broker taught me), it is impossible to say that it is the right solution for everyone.

Yeah except that it has been reported that those high end hospitals won't be part of Obamacare covered facilities. Those will be left for the rich and the ruling class of folks. The rest of us will be going to Joe's Bait Shop and Surgery Center :)
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 04:50 PM

Oxxo said above, "Barry and I are much alike except that I am a conservative and Barry is an ultra-conservative."

:lol: Yeah, right!!! Well, he is partially right, I guess. I have been drifting over into the "ultra-Conservative camp" from years as a fairly moderate Conservative due to what I consider just nutty policies and laws being formed by this Administration, and you know what they are as they are commented on almost daily. Lots of great ideas (and many not so great) from the Democrat camp, but they won't do the hard job of prioritising the Budget to even approach paying for them with the income they already have. As we righties often say, "there is a spending problem in DC, not an income problem!!! ". And NOW, they invite the lightning-rod, John Podesta back into the advising fold who will just compound the problems, IMO. What Folly!!!! :(

Barry
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 03:49 AM

Currently living in MS, the fishing and hunting is great. An yes there's no shortage of unwed mothers. Know at least 4 young women that fit that description, all white. Half of 'em are still with their child's father and they take advantage of all the govt. freebees. Obamacare? Guess it all boils down to freedom of choice. For an outfit that's all for "freedom of choice" this whole Obamacare debacle exposes the liberal view. They're for freedom of choice if they're the ones providing the choice.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 08:10 AM

Sure, Cypress, we all ultimately have the choice to return to Pre-Obamacare health insurance options with less and less coverage and perpetual annual premium increases of at least 10% with no end in sight, 45 million Americans with no coverage, prohibition of coverage for those with pre-existing conditions and no incentives for the health industry to modernize and become efficient. In fact, if you really want to, you can start on your own right now.

BTW, be advised that the free market does not provide any guarantee that it will provide affordable healthcare or affordable health insurance for all Americans. Same goes for the free market determination of a minimum wage; no guarantee that such a minimum wage would be a living wage.

Do you have any idea what a heart bypass surgery and hospital stay costs? You have the choice of not getting ins coverage and to depend on the free market price for such a service. Go ahead, make the choice.

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by MitchMan]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 10:39 AM

Mighty fine feeling to watch the sun rise up over the marsh, deciding whether to go fishing or hunting while dinking around on the computer. Could be a good thing that a vast number of people cling to the old misconceptions about Dixieland. They would probably be very unhappy here. :biggrin:
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.