Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: generator purchase advice
baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 06:10 PM
generator purchase advice

I want to upgrade my generator ( 40 year old 7hp Briggs&Stratton, 4KW) and want some friendly advice. Its primary roles will be to boost the power in my solar system batteries during rainy/cloudy conditions (Colonet area) and for power tool operation ( hand tools, not shop equipment). I want it to be portable enough to roll it around, so I need it to have wheels (tired of using the puny dolly over rough ground).

FYI...I have bought into an existing shared system (two of us are on the system, but rarely at the same time). It is 16 batteries; 2.5 KW Trace inverter; 60 amp output controller; seven totally different panels of undetermined watts)

How big of a generator do I need (5KW enough?)
Are the new ones easier to pull-start than the old one I have????Do I need/want to pay for push button start?
I can't afford Honda, but am I going in the wrong direction with Harbor Freight?

I don't need something that will be kicking ass in 40 years...I won't be.

Suggestions on specs, brands, sources, do/don't list, etc are appreciated.

Merry Christmas,
Craig
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 06:58 PM

I have a 3K generator on standby for emergencies. Trouble is, emergencies here only occur about every other year, and when it's needed the SOB won't start, thanks to old gas.

I'm going to get a new one, but it will be a propane one.

Little more money, but at least I know it works when needed.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 07:07 PM

I have a honda eu 3000. Just for the same purpose. You can find used ones on craigslist if you go back and forth. Very nice, very quiet and good on gas. Put a gallon in and let it run out. Don't let gas sit in any generator
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 07:18 PM

Not sure about Harbor Freight, but I really like my Honda. I would go for a used Honda over anything else (I have an EU2000). Drain the gas if it's going to sit for more than a few weeks. That will make starting much easier, or at least possible. Algae can actually grow in the fuel system feeding on alcohol in the gas (happy algae??).
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 07:19 PM

Nothing beats peace of mind when electrical energy is needed at an off-grid home. Mine, a Honda 5500w has worked almost perfectly for me for several years in a large solar home with lots of electrical demands. Comes with wheels, but I never put them on, electric start (and manual if needed), sips gas, remote control option, and very, very dependable. I bought new at a Acme Tool Co. outlet stateside for about $4200 ...and used it as a RV genset for the trip to Baja. ;)

Yeah, it's a lot of dough. But you do get what you pay for, and in this case you get a lot!

Here's some info on it. My Honda EX-5500 is s 5.5KW generator, rated at a continuous power of 5KW. 120 is available as well as 240 vac. This commercial duty generator is electric start. A bit heavy at nearly 400 lbs. It comes with wheels and handles so it can be moved around like a wheelbarrow. It took three of us to load it into my truck for it's trip to Baja. (I do use it for other things too!)

Once on site the liquid cooled engine runs smooth and steady maintaining voltage and frequency within tight tolerance with a multitude of transmitters and loads keying on and off. Due to the water-cooled engine and sound attenuated enclosure sound level is very low, over 50' from the generator it can't be heard from anywhere in the house. Not only is acoustically quiet, it's electrically clean, no ignition noise or hash is detectable by the stations operating. This unit is one that is used on many remote movie sets.

I've owned this for 12 plus years, it hasn't been completely trouble free however, the voltage regulator failed causing a no output condition and the replacement part was very expen$ive. Also the control key switch went bad preventing the engine from starting. Other than those two things, nothing more than normal maintenance (oil, starting battery and coolant changes) it's been trouble free.

I'd spend the extra money for peace of mind.

edit to add this p.s.

I've had a Briggs & Statton 10kw, and the difference in performance and SOUND will astound you. I made a special trip back to San Diego to return that Briggs.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 07:32 PM

We start ours at the start of hurricane season to check it out, and run all the gas out at the end of the season. DO NOT leave gas in it.
It is a Coleman...nothing serious but we can keep the freezer frozen and everyone in our neighborhood's cell phones charged.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 07:40 PM

if you think youre gonna charge your batteries using the dc output of the generator, all you will do is burn alot of gas and never get close to a full charge. you need to use the generator to power a smart charger, its your only option.;)
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 08:23 AM

I second the Honda vote. Very reliable and easy on gas. The EU 3000I is an electric start and I think there is a wheel kit available for it. The EU2000I is manual start only, but starts on 1 or 2 pulls almost every time. If your Trace 2500 is an inverter/charger then these generators will work very well with it. Just set the generators max output (less an amp or 2) into the inverter so the inverter doesn't try to draw more from the generator than it can put out.
Larry
PS Honda's are also very easy to drain the gas, just loosen the screw on the carb to drain the float bowl.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
geno51

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 09:28 AM

I love my eu2000I honda I use it to to boost my solar system when my usage is high or cloudy days. I have had 5 years now low fuel consumption, 1000$ purchase price. My friends have gone through several generators while my little honda keeps running. Don't buy more generator than you need or get cheap and buy low quality and price, a common mistake.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 09:31 AM

so Stabil is no good?

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 09:37 AM

Bite the bullet and buy a Honda, all the aggravation you'll save yourself is well worth the extra cost.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
so Stabil is no good?

Stabil works well for the gas in the tank.

Then, turn off the fuel valve and run the carburetor dry.

Generator always fires up immediately after a 5-7 month shutdown.
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
so Stabil is no good?

Is Seafoam any good?
baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 04:09 PM

Thanks to all of you for the various inputs.
I went with the consensus and opted for a Honda...got a used EB3800 with the wheel kit. Looks to be in great shape; sounds good; pulls easy; not abused...$800. I'm sure it'll be a great upgrade to the old beast I've been making do with for these past few years.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Craig
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Quote:
so Stabil is no good?

Is Seafoam any good?

i use it in the truck. it is a cleaner for the various systems, not a stabilizer or octane booster.

baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 01:00 PM

My experience is STAY AWAY FROM CHAMPION. They are junk and you get what you pay for. I bought a true sine wave 2000 watt. It fell apart after 60 hours running and trashed the electronics it was to protect. When I sent it back to the factory for the warranty they tried to refuse the repair because "I operated off the grid" They were not going to budge until I got help from Cabela's VP of purchasing. Even then it took several months. I will probably look for a LPG generator so as to not have the gasoline problems. Good luck.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 02:40 PM
Subaru powered??

Sam's club in Ensenada has a generator, Black Max brand (I think) powered by a Subaru small engine,

Anyone have any experience with the small Subaru engines in this type of application???

[Edited on 1-5-2014 by bajaguy]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 02:44 PM

love. its what makes a subaru a subaru!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.