Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Next-gen BFGoodrich AT/KO2 All-Terrain at 2013 Baja 1000
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 11:37 PM
Next-gen BFGoodrich AT/KO2 All-Terrain at 2013 Baja 1000

link: http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1312-new-bfgoodrich-all-terr...

We think it’s safe to assume that the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 will more than likely hit the market sometime next year since it’s currently being tested and proven in the deserts of Baja but since we know you want to know more about this skunk-works tire; we decided to ask the Big Cheese, our Editor-In-Chief John Cappa about his thoughts on this latest tire to roll out of BFG. Here's what he had to say!

John Cappa:
The All-Terrain spotted at the 2013 Baja 1000 looks like a full production tire, meaning all of the numbers are on the sidewall, including what appears to be a DOT number. So what’s different? While the tread looks the same, it’s not. There are fewer sipes across the lugs and the lugs themselves appear to be shaped slightly different. A big change is the extra rubber and tread protecting the sidewall. We have no idea if the rubber compound or carcass construction is different than the previous generation BFG All Terrain, and the boys and girls at BFG have been pretty tight lipped and not returning our calls.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 11:50 PM

I hope it has fewer sidewall rips and does better in sand!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:41 AM

I like the looks of it. It looks a little like the Toyo on the sidewall. Hopefully, they can hold up like a Baja T/A!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:39 AM

I want that :cool:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
I want that :cool:

Me too!!!

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 12:20 PM

I need two new ones for my GMC so they better not wait long. Maybe I could be a tester and get them free. LT285/75R16
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:20 PM

The sidewall lugs are beefy like the M/T KM2, I can't imagine they will be anything less than kick a$$ :bounce:
David, I'll give you the report. I'm feeling must have
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:33 PM

I believe they will release the most popular sizes first, then the oddball sizes later. The lugs look good for rocks and loose dirt. I will want a tire that is quiet but works well off road. This looks like a winner.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
The sidewall lugs are beefy like the M/T KM2, I can't imagine they will be anything less than kick a$$ :bounce:
David, I'll give you the report. I'm feeling must have

Thank you... I know it is the #1 AT tire, I just have been underwhelmed by it... fussy me. Glad to see some changes after so many years!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 11:41 AM

I have used BFG TA KO tires since 1991 on a 91 chevy 4x4 and 2004 GMC 4x4. Three Toyota 4x4s a 1993, 2004 and a 2007 Tacoma work truck for the mountains, I have traveled on just about every road in Baja, north and south. I have prerun on just about every SCORE race course in Baja. I have never (knock on wood) had a side wall rip or tear. I have had a couple of flats from nails and rocks thru the tread area. The rocks mainly because I ran the tread too low and did not change them when I normally do.

In 2013 I spent time in Death Valley including going down the Lippencott trail and Goler Wash thru Mengel Pass. I did a trip around Baja Sur mostly off road and A trip down El Mono grade all in my 2004 Tacoma. I did a 3500 mile trip to Cabo and back running thru Gonzaga 4 times. BOLA to Guerrero Negro thru El Acro twice and San Ignacio thru El Datil and Comondu to Loreto in my 2004 GMC Z71. All with BFG TA KO tires and not one flat.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a nail in a rear tire on the Tacoma and I took it to Big Brand Tires and they plugged it for free. It's ready for more Baja in Jan.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 11:46 AM

TW--------it's interesting to me that you said, "they plugged ir for free". I have never been able to convince any tire dealer lately to "plug" any of my nail holes-----they will put a patch on the inside of the tire, but not "plug" it. Therefore, I do my own "plugging" with my own rather expensive SafetySeal kit.

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 11:58 AM

Barry, I was a little surprised because in the past they have always put a patch on the inside. I carry plugs and patches with me as well.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 12:16 PM

I would rather have a patch anyway, if I can get it. I carry both.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 08:07 PM
comments on BFG Tire begin at 3:55

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 08:12 PM
Baja 1000 recap + info on new BFG tires

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 05:28 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.