Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Duty on appliances
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 08:43 AM
Duty on appliances

We're pondering the pros and cons of importing some appliances from the U.S., vs. going with what we can buy in La Paz. Does anyone know what the percentage of import tax we should expect to be charged at the border?

Thanks!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 09:15 AM

you are better off to buy them on the Mexican side . many appliances cant be imported such as Refrigerators and Freezers. and you can get goo prices on them in La Paz and better in T.J. Many of them are manufactured here anyway and some such as Sony and Whirlpool can be bought for less here than in the U.S.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 09:35 AM
Import Duty RE: Appliances

Hey Jeff!
There's a lot of variables you've got to look at when balancing the difference in the costs:
What kind of Visa do you have?
Do you plan on making one "big trip down" with a household's worth of brand new appliances, or are you bringing one or two slightly used units?
Have you already taken advantage of the "menaje de casa" one-time exemption?

If you're driving across the Border into Baja Norte, bringing a brand new washer/dryer combo (for example) you'll be looking at a 25% import duty tax.

At the Border, you're supposed to stop at the Aduana (Customs) office before crossing, and provide a list of the items you're bringing, along with the value of each item (For stuff you've just purchased, bring the receipts too.).
The Aduana agent will check the total declared value of the items, and after subtracting the ($50?) allowance each traveller gets automatically, will tell you what the 25% duty works out to.

I've heard from other folks that they've (very gently) complained to individual Aduana agents about the excessive duties and had their fees reduced, but I'm not sure how "legal" that'd be.

Pay the duty, take your receipt and head back to your vehicle. Drive to one of the "Items to Declare" lanes, and wait to see if you get the red light or the green light. If you get a red, pull into the inspection area where you're directed, and hand over your import duty tax receipt along with your declaration form. After the inspection's finished, you're all finished with the importation-related stuff for good.

After all of that stuff, combined with the hassle of (maybe) needing a trailer for your appliances, or at least filling up your vehicle with appliances, you might want to think twice about buying your appliances in Baja.

A friend of mine told me he checked with the Costco website to confirm the prices, then faxed the (Mexican!) store location directly to confirm them, and realized he could buy them at a Costco in Baja without all the Customs BS or hauling stuff from the SF Bay area to Cabo San Lucas. He bought the same "Kirkland" brand W/D combo from (Mexican) Costco that I have at my US residence. It's made by the Whirlpool factory, and he paid pretty much the same as what I paid up in the US.

Good luck, and drive safely! Cameron
:spingrin:

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:14 AM

Brand new Whirlpool super large heavy duty washer in La paz $ 4398.00 Pesos Delivered and installed how can you beat that.
Why is it that every one thinks every thing has to be dragged all the way down from the states? every one wants to move to Baja but no one wants to support the local economy. it is funny to watch new people coming down with there big trucks and trailers loaded to the hilt with thanks they think they can safe 5 bucks on in the U.S. and after about five years of this they all decide that it is moor trouble than it is Worth and start buying local.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:28 AM
Freezer?

Just brought a freezer (new) acroos the border at Tijuana.

340 pesos duty...no problema..

George
Cameron
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-25-2004 at 11:26 AM
Local Economic Development...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Brand new Whirlpool super large heavy duty washer in La paz $ 4398.00 Pesos Delivered and installed how can you beat that.
Why is it that every one thinks every thing has to be dragged all the way down from the states? every one wants to move to Baja but no one wants to support the local economy. it is funny to watch new people coming down with there big trucks and trailers loaded to the hilt with thanks they think they can safe 5 bucks on in the U.S. and after about five years of this they all decide that it is moor trouble than it is Worth and start buying local.

Amen! :tumble:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 12:54 PM

i work near the sd stadium where we are remodeling naval housing. the demo company brings a HUGE flatbed once or twice a month and loads up all of the refers, washer dryers, dishwashers, toilets, doors, water heaters, etc...

with a 25% import duty, how can they make any money selling secondhand in tj and wherever else? just wonderin'...

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 12:57 PM

The 25% is on new - much different for used.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
We're pondering the pros and cons of importing some appliances from the U.S., vs. going with what we can buy in La Paz. Does anyone know what the percentage of import tax we should expect to be charged at the border?

Thanks!

If you import through San Ysidro it will be about 18%. If you import at La Mesa it will be more. Always use San Ysidro for personal items less than $1000.

In TJ and Rosarito there are several used appliance stores that sell reconditioned at very low prices, with a guarantee.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 01:49 PM
We buy all our appliances here

And they usually work:lol:

There are many used appliance places in Baja, two of them, right down the street from me. They both carry some killer antique stoves and appliances as well as the refurbished items. They offer immediate service on any appliance if need be.
Electra is a major chain here in Mexico and it is similar to Sears although not nearly as extensive. They carry lots of name brand appliances, furniture, tv's and stereos for around the same prices as the u.s.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 02:54 PM

Electra sells mainly crap.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 03:00 PM
Where do you get your new appliances

and stuff down here Dave?
Cameron
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 11-25-2004 at 03:25 PM
Different Duty Depending on Port of Entry?

Quote:
Quote:

If you import through San Ysidro it will be about 18%. If you import at La Mesa it will be more. Always use San Ysidro for personal items less than $1000.

Thanks Dave!
I didn't know that! Is it cheaper depending on the Port of Entry as an official deal, or are they just more relaxed about it at San Ysidro?
I'm in the US now, but I'll be crossing back in a week or so, and I'm bringing a bunch of stuff I'm going to have to pay duty on.
The Aduana website didn't mention the difference in duties: If the San Ysidro crossing officially has cheaper rates, do you know where I can download a copy of the different Port's policies? It'd be nice to have for future reference!
Thanks again! Cameron...
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:02 PM

The Ysidro crossing is set up for personal declaration and they charge a blanket rate.

The La Mesa crossing is set up for commercial declaration and it is run by the book. They may additionally charge brokerage fees.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
and stuff down here Dave?

I rarely buy new but when I do I usually buy commercial equipment in TJ or in the States and import (I have an importers license).

For used (home) equipment, washers, dryers fridge etc. I highly recommend Machados, right down the street from you.

Electra is not an electronics but a finance store. They are a fancy pawnshop.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:29 PM
Elektra

must be a real fancy "pawn shop" as they are everywhere. Haven't seen anything used in there either.
Also, a pretty inexpensive way to transfer funds if the need arrises.
Machados is one of the two I was referring to! They have supplied the "neighborhood".:yes:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
must be a real fancy "pawn shop" as they are everywhere.

They want their customer to buy "on time". Next time you're there check out the prices if you pay it off. You will quickly understand how they make money.

jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:48 PM
Duty on Appliances

Cameron, thanks for the reply. We have shiny new FM-3 visas, have not used the Menaje de Casa. I don't think we'll use it yet, at this point I'm looking at just bringing a good gas range. 25% duty isn't too awful bad, and I'd prefer to just pay the duty and be legal. I've found most of the other things we need available at an appliance store in La Paz, so we'll probably go with that. The prices are higher than here, but once you add in the duty and then factor in a good chunk for the hassle of dragging it all 1000 miles, the prices seem close enough!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by Cameron
Hey Jeff!
There's a lot of variables you've got to look at when balancing the difference in the costs:
What kind of Visa do you have?
Do you plan on making one "big trip down" with a household's worth of brand new appliances, or are you bringing one or two slightly used units?
Have you already taken advantage of the "menaje de casa" one-time exemption?

If you're driving across the Border into Baja Norte, bringing a brand new washer/dryer combo (for example) you'll be looking at a 25% import duty tax.

At the Border, you're supposed to stop at the Aduana (Customs) office before crossing, and provide a list of the items you're bringing, along with the value of each item (For stuff you've just purchased, bring the receipts too.).
The Aduana agent will check the total declared value of the items, and after subtracting the ($50?) allowance each traveller gets automatically, will tell you what the 25% duty works out to.

I've heard from other folks that they've (very gently) complained to individual Aduana agents about the excessive duties and had their fees reduced, but I'm not sure how "legal" that'd be.

Pay the duty, take your receipt and head back to your vehicle. Drive to one of the "Items to Declare" lanes, and wait to see if you get the red light or the green light. If you get a red, pull into the inspection area where you're directed, and hand over your import duty tax receipt along with your declaration form. After the inspection's finished, you're all finished with the importation-related stuff for good.

After all of that stuff, combined with the hassle of (maybe) needing a trailer for your appliances, or at least filling up your vehicle with appliances, you might want to think twice about buying your appliances in Baja.

A friend of mine told me he checked with the Costco website to confirm the prices, then faxed the (Mexican!) store location directly to confirm them, and realized he could buy them at a Costco in Baja without all the Customs BS or hauling stuff from the SF Bay area to Cabo San Lucas. He bought the same "Kirkland" brand W/D combo from (Mexican) Costco that I have at my US residence. It's made by the Whirlpool factory, and he paid pretty much the same as what I paid up in the US.

Good luck, and drive safely! Cameron
:spingrin:

:)
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A Credit cost at least twice as much as cash.

And they prey on people least likely to afford or even understand. Yup, fancy pawn shops.

[Edited on 11-26-2004 by Dave]

jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2004 at 04:28 PM
$1000 limit at customs?

Another question along the same lines - all of the info I've read explains how they calculate the duty on stuff valued up to $1000. Above that and they refer to needing to hire a "customs agent". Does that mean if we go through the declare lanes, and our load of stuff is over $1000 that we will be sent back? Or is the customs agent available there on the spot?

Thanks!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.