Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Jose De comondu Camping
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 06:38 PM
San Jose De comondu Camping

I have a truck and camper. That place looks great! I would like info on anywhere I can setup my camper close or in town. Don,t need or want any hookups. Just a safe spot to stay and check out the town.

If the road report is good when I get there I might drive to San Javier. I might be a little overnight for the town roads. I will put the co-pilot on the roof with a stick to move the brush back.

I drive my rig on some pretty sketchy logging road in B.C. So it should work out OK.

Thanks
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:41 PM

You can probably park right in town on the streets; suggest asking the police and/or the house you're parked in front of first.

About camping out of town, ask somebody in town to direct you to a rancher or vineyard owner who would accommodate you for a small fee.

What think ye, other mountain Nomads?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:52 PM

So no real campsite locations in town?
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:29 PM

A year or so ago there was someone in San Jose who had camping space, and would cook supper for you if you asked. I think it was at the end of town, just past the mission. I don't know if it still offered. But it is a friendly town, just ask around and someone will help you out.

There is a brand new hotel in San Miguel-- I'll start a thread on it right now.
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:01 PM

We have parked our truck/camper on the north rim above town.
It gets the first sun and you can see and hear the town wake up below as the sun reaches the valley.
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:12 PM

Sounds like I should be able to make it work there. Did have trouble driving through town in you're camper? Thr streets look narrow with lots of trees.

Did you drive through to san Javier?

Thanks for all the help.
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:26 PM

We've always gone to the Comondus entering from the south via the turn off just east of San Javier. We don't know the current road conditions however. It has been a few years since we last went camping that way. We never had any problems, although we needed 4WD in several places. It takes forever to drive the rocky road, so be prepared and patient.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 11:06 PM

N-S-E-W There are in essence 4 ways in and out of Comondu, and while we may disagree on the compass heading, here is what there is:

N: Old main road to La Paz from Tijuana, passes Comondu Viejo ruins near Rancho San Juan. A newer bypass misses those two. A Rough road, meets La Purisima/ Hwy. 1 road 11 miles south of Bahia Concepcion. No recent reports

S: All Paved road to Comondu from La Poza Grande/Francisco Villa off La Purisima highway.

E: Graded road from Loreto and near San Javier. Paved to San Javier from Loreto. 27 dirt miles, often rough or washed out.

W: (really NW): Graded road to San Isidro and La Purisima: Badly washed out, but being rebuilt now (see post by TW).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 04:58 AM

The road to San Javier is the one we will take to complete our loop of the area. It looks like a decent road compared to the bush roads on Vancouver Island where I am from.

Thanks
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 12:01 PM

No actual campsites in town. But ask for Chamo, and he will direct you to his very nice fenced lot that has water and a cooktop. His house is on the main street, on the left, at the intersection where the road turns right. He can also introduce you to the guy who can guide you to the pictographs too (very close, but traverses private property). Also, an easy walk or drive to San Jose de Comondu to sightsee and visit Mr. Gastelum and check out his wines.
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 01:56 PM

Thanks wider one

Great info. Thanks a lot. My wife is a little freaked out about "Baja Violence" so this will make her happier to have a place to stay. Looking forward to driving around the town on our bikes.
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 01:58 PM

I got your name wrong. kind of funny. Sorry about that
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 05:26 PM

No worries. The mountain people of Baja are some of the finest folks on earth-- so nice I married into one of the clans.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 05:59 PM

Looking forward to it!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 07:52 PM

Tell your wife to relax, there is 1000 times bigger chance of violence in any American city than in the outback of Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 08:14 PM

David is right on with that! The farther out the nicer the people. Have a
great trip:bounce:
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 06:05 PM

Never got a chance to get to San Jose de Comondu last year. Anyone driven the road from just east of San Javier yet since the hurricane?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 07:06 PM

I drove from La Purisma and San Isidro to highway 1 just south of Bahia Conception a couple of days before Thanksgiving. The first five or six miles east of the highway are in good shape, but past that it is very slow (or brutal) road. 4wd is not necessary, but good clearance, tires and suspension are required. It is a longer, slower, and narrower drive than the south end of highway 5 through Coco's Corner, but beautiful country!
The flood damage in that area was impressive, I saw drift wood thirty feet or more above the river level. The impassable stretches were repaired by bulldozer prior to the Baja 1000, but had not been graded yet.
Unless one of the other roads was also used for the course, I wonder if any repairs were done to them.
I did not drive to either of the Comondu villages, so I don't know if they are accessible from the East side.
I hope that helps.

[Edited on 12-18-2014 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 07:29 PM

Word from La Purisima is that the road from Mex-1 up is going to be soon or has already been graded.

Please note: The highway on Mex-1 just a few miles north of the turnoff to La Purisima/San Isidro is permanently flooded since the hurricane in September. Slow waaay down and creep through.

Also, stop at the rustic little diner that's right there where the wáter floods the highway. Most excellent ranch foods.

Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 08:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I really want to get there this year.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.