BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestion on Forum Topics
Ndnorvell

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 10:50 AM
Suggestion on Forum Topics

I am new to the forum and have been searching for information/news about the places I will be visiting on my upcoming vacation.
I was thinking it might be nice to have a Forum Topic for each city in Baja. That way it would be easier to browse. (Maybe there is one somewhere and I don't know were to look. That's always a possibility.)

I do searches as well, so that is nice to have and works well.

Anyways, just a thought.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 11:02 AM

Welcome to Nomad.... The Baja Trip Reports Forum and Road Conditions Forum may have the most data for your trip planning.

However, some Nomads will put details in the General Baja or Photo forums... So, unless you come here every 3 days or more often (and click on Today's Posts) to see latest posts all together...

USE the SEARCH button in the top left corner of the Nomad page... Type in the location (why spelling the place correctly is important) and see ALL posts about that location!

Welcome to Baja Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 11:24 AM

Ndnorvell....hmmm....there's something about that name...can't put my finger on it, but I like it. ;)

I think your suggestion has great merit. I just did a search on a typical tourist destination city in Baja, Mulege, and got way too many pages to wade through.

It might make sense to have a Mulege...or Loreto...or Cabo...or what's the name of that windy little place over on the Pacific?...Ascent??,...column to choose from. A lot less searching through thousands of posts with just those names in them and little information about the city.

Good suggestion, thanks. Guess we'll leave it up to Doug, who runs the show.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 11:50 AM

yes, search is your friend!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Ndnorvell....hmmm....there's something about that name...can't put my finger on it, but I like it. ;)

I think your suggestion has great merit. I just did a search on a typical tourist destination city in Baja, Mulege, and got way too many pages to wade through.

It might make sense to have a Mulege...or Loreto...or Cabo...or what's the name of that windy little place over on the Pacific?...Ascent??,...column to choose from. A lot less searching through thousands of posts with just those names in them and little information about the city.

Good suggestion, thanks. Guess we'll leave it up to Doug, who runs the show.

I don't think that the 6th place finisher of this wrestling tournament in the 195 lb. class is the same Ndnorvell since it appears to be at the high school level:

cityleague91.tripod.com/id27.html‎

However he is the same guy that made this post today on the StraightTalk web site:

Using my StraightTalk phone in Mexico

Postby Ndnorvell » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:40 pm

I am going on vacation in two weeks to Mexico. I know that I cannot make calls or use my cell phone data while there with my StraightTalk service, however, can I still bring my phone and use WIFI service (offered by hotels/cafes) while I am there to get onto facebook and email?
Thanks!

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Ndnorvell

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 12:26 PM

Wow, thanks everyone.

However, I am a little concerned with the fact that my name is being googled simply because I am using this forum for vacation information...?

And, not that it is any of your business durrelllrobert, but I am not a guy. But I am sure everyone else reading this post is going to be excited that you have informed them I am also asking questions on different forums throughout the world wide web. What can I say, people love me, and I am sure they want to know everything about me just like you!

:P
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 01:02 PM

Maybe he works for NSA???:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Maybe he works for NSA???:biggrin:

Hah! Good one, Ed.

Ndnorvell....good one, too! By the way, I like the 'Nd' part...being from North Dakota.

Ndnorvell

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 02:10 PM

Thanks Pompano.

Stay warm!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years to all!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 02:21 PM

Merry Christmas to you, too. This place (Nomad) is like a family... and with every family you have a few ... well, you know!

Using the Nomad Search for trip reports or whatever, the MOST RECENT post about your subject (city or place) will be on top and the rest in order going back in time... so, as Pompano said, you can get pages and pages... BUT for your question, just the most recent posts about that place is all you need for trip planning.

Many of us go to more than 1 place on a Baja vacation, so our trip reports couldn't go into a forum just on one place. The Nomad Search Engine (top left corner of page) is your best friend to find data from this week and maybe all the way back to 2002 when this forum site began! Just click on the most recent posts.

Another option is to go to the Q & A forum and ASK about any certain place for input. It is helpful if you include what vehicle you are using and if you are a camper or need hotels, etc.

Wishing you a great Baja vacation! See ours from 2012 in the link in my signature, below any of mp posts... Other details that you may find useful are also in other links in my signature...
David

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ndnorvell
Wow, thanks everyone.

However, I am a little concerned with the fact that my name is being googled simply because I am using this forum for vacation information...?

And, not that it is any of your business durrelllrobert, but I am not a guy. But I am sure everyone else reading this post is going to be excited that you have informed them I am also asking questions on different forums throughout the world wide web. What can I say, people love me, and I am sure they want to know everything about me just like you!

:P

? Just trying to refresh Pompano's memory because he wrote "Ndnorvell....hmmm....there's something about that name...can't put my finger on it, but I like it" Welcome to BN madam and you can Google my name anytime you like :bounce::bounce:

Bob Durrell
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
I am new to the forum and have been searching for information/news about the places I will be visiting on my upcoming vacation.
I was thinking it might be nice to have a Forum Topic for each city in Baja. That way it would be easier to browse. (Maybe there is one somewhere and I don't know were to look. That's always a possibility.)

Anyways, just a thought.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've always had this consideration, but feel there's a better way of going about offering such a resource than via the forum software. I believe there might be an alternative platform that could be better for sharing information with one-another on various destinations, and places in-between.

Yes, I could be more specific - but no, I'm not going to be right now. :biggrin:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 03:47 PM

Welcome to the board!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

Anyways, just a thought.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've always had this consideration, but feel there's a better way of going about offering such a resource than via the forum software. I believe there might be an alternative platform that could be better for sharing information with one-another on various destinations, and places in-between.

Yes, I could be more specific - but no, I'm not going to be right now. :biggrin:

And I'm looking to implement something regarding this specific request (and similar requests for separate topics) sometime in 2014.

fyi

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 10:13 PM

As I understand it the information is already here but just difficult to get at.

Perhaps a more robust, google like, search capability would be good. I thought google provided a google search application that allowed you to search files after they had been 'procesed'. Perhaps nightly processing of posts could be done which would allow more robust searching next day. I've never heard of such a thing available on forums, however. Just on static data.

Since there are so many destinations in baja it seems unreasonable to create a forum for each one. It may actually hurt traffic to some degree. My 2 cents.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
As I understand it the information is already here but just difficult to get at.

Perhaps a more robust, google like, search capability would be good. I thought google provided a google search application that allowed you to search files after they had been 'procesed'. Perhaps nightly processing of posts could be done which would allow more robust searching next day. I've never heard of such a thing available on forums, however. Just on static data.

Since there are so many destinations in baja it seems unreasonable to create a forum for each one. It may actually hurt traffic to some degree. My 2 cents.

As mentioned, I plan to implement a solution that addresses that desired capability directly. It's one of about three or four updated features intended for the site (as a whole) this year.

As far as Google spidering the content here - it happens every day. Most of the new topics are available (via Google search) within 4-24 hours after they've been created.

:biggrin:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 03:13 PM

Towns and villages.

Here's a tongue-in-cheek road report I wrote a while back that may help you. Shows the lay of the land and almost all the cities and villages along Hwy 1.

The route is from San Diego to Tecate to Ensenada, then south to Mulege and Coyote Bay within the Bay of Conception.

Show and tell time most of the way...with plenty of photos. Have fun.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31346&pag...

Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 04:59 PM

It's a bummer that there are so many missing pics though Roger.. but what a great read... Why haven't you written a book or 3 yet? :)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 05:54 PM

Pompano, you could even make it an online book. I have no doubt that many of us would by it! Your pics and words are classic.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.