Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: six volt battery purchase
baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 01:45 PM
six volt battery purchase

Can I install a pair of new six volt, 203 amp batteries into a system of 110 amp batteries?
I want to replace two of the old batteries that have deteriorated badly.
There are a total of eight pair in the system.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 01:52 PM

You can, but you'll kill them all.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 02:03 PM

Not a good idea. Will just make the other ones go bad faster.
Try to give the bad ones the epsom salt treatment for now.
Google it or inquire on YouTube,

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 02:38 PM

When you add new batteries to an existing bank, the new ones will rapidly achieve the same condition as the existing batteries. It's not such a big deal when the bank is a year or two old and in good condition, but if they are older or have been neglected or abused, you'd be throwing your money away. If you are replacing more than one or two batteries you will probably spend less in the long run just buying a whole new bank. I don't really know the ramifications of mixing in different amp hour batteries, but I don't see how it could be advisable.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 02:44 PM

Test each battery, pull the bad ones out, but you must leave pairs, no odd numbers. This will give you a little extra time before you need to replace all the batteries. You will however have less amp hours.
Never mix new batteries with old, never use a mix of battery brands or sizes.

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 03:26 PM

Separate the batteries into two banks, buy a duo charge controller otherwise two complete seperate systems, if you do that buy a desulfater (cheap) put it on the old bank and you will exgtend their life.

[Edited on 12-24-2013 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 03:43 PM

I've heard the same thing...BUT...has anyone ever installed 2 new batteries to an existing set???

did they actually do this or
is this just another story we've all been told...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
I've heard the same thing...BUT...has anyone ever installed 2 new batteries to an existing set???

did they actually do this or
is this just another story we've all been told...
I've done it with varying degrees of success. It beats buying a whole new bank if you just have a bad battery, but if your bank is close to the end of it's useful life, usually evidenced by multiple battery failures, there are diminishing returns. Comitan's two bank configuration is really the only way to approach it if not replacing the entire bank, but then it becomes a choice of being locked into switching banks forever or continually replacing batteries piecemeal, which will cost more eventually.

[Edited on 12-24-2013 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 04:48 PM

If you put the 203 amp batteries into a 110 amp system, you will never completely recharge the 203 amp batteries, which will decrease their life dramatically, eventually causing them to sulfate and fail.

If you have a charge controller that's adjustable, and you set your charge specs to match the 203 amp battery specs, you will overcharge and fry the 110 amp batteries.

To keep it simple, all batteries should be the same.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 05:25 PM

chit can the two bad ones and if you cant get by with 660 amphours, you might as well plan on spending some dough on a new bank. chances are the other 14 are next to go!
baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 10:21 AM

As always, thanks for the input.
I will avoid mixing the amp sizes.
I was already aware of the declining nature of the old/new mix, but that has been clearly voiced.
I will check on the epsom salt treatment/desulfator (new to my ears).
I will get by on 14 batteries for now and save my pesos for a full swap-out.

Merry Christmas to all.
Craig
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 12:47 PM

8 parallel batteries, that's a bit much. When you do replace your batteries try to reduce it down to maybe a max of 2 parallel strings.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2013 at 10:43 AM

I just went for $1100 to put in 6 new batteries. Did it before the IVA increase which is coming. I was lucky, the old ones were 6 plus years old.
Of course you could always buy the $90 ones in Costco and sneak them across, but then you might need new springs on your vehicle.:biggrin:

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.