Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Confusion, frustration meet hunters at Mexican border
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-27-2004 at 02:45 AM
Confusion, frustration meet hunters at Mexican border

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20041126-9999-...

By Ed Zieralski
November 26, 2004

U.S. hunters venturing into Mexico this week discovered that they must give 72-hour written notice to cross the border with guns and ammunition at Tecate and Tijuana.

It's unclear whether hunters crossing at Mexicali must provide written notice, but those close to the situation believe the proviso only applies to hunters traversing through Tijuana or Tecate.

Meantime, there was confusion about exactly what must be done to cross the border with guns and ammunition. Questions such as to whom or what office to send the notice, whether that office had a fax or e-mail to make it more convenient for U.S. hunters and whether a hunter would receive a confirmation of his or her request, all went unanswered.

Those questions frustrated and bewildered U.S. hunters who were heading for Mexico this weekend. But anyone who has followed Mexico's hunting program through the years knows that confusion reigns there regarding policy, game laws and the like.

This latest regulation didn't go over well with local hunters.

"This is complete nonsense," said attorney Michael I. Neil. "I've been hunting in Mexico for 25 years and we've never had to deal with anything like this. Normally when we cross at Tijuana we just pull into the 'Something To Declare' line and declare that we have shotguns. They check the serial numbers on our guns, check our permits and count our shells and we're off."

Neil was in contact with William Schmitt, a U.S. official who said he visited with the general of the Baja California Military District on Wednesday. Schmitt, in an e-mail to Neil, said the general confirmed that a 72-hour notice must be given to transport hunting firearms and ammunition through Tecate and Tijuana.

Schmitt said the general told him that in addition to giving 72-hour notice to cross with guns and ammunition, hunters must have all their gun and ammunition permits and hunting licenses in order. Also, they must include all the names of their hunting group on the written notice. Schmitt said inspectors will be waiting at the appointed time the U.S. hunting group intends to cross into Mexico.
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 11-27-2004 at 08:11 AM
Hunting in Mexico...

I understand how the American hunters could be confused after having no problems on past trips, but it's hard to me to feel sorry for them, as it appears that they never complied with the law in the first place.
I've never hunted in Mexico, but it only took me a minute or two to find the Aduana website and pull up their "Manual of Tourist Entry", and find the portion of it which covers the importation of firearms and hunting permits.
It's about as clear as any "Official" beaureaucratic document gets, as it states:

"..The hunting organizer or wildlife breeder must submit the above documentation at least 15 days before the foreign tourists who come for the purpose of hunting arrive in
the country, so that the military authority has enough time to produce the corresponding licenses.
The hunting organizer or wildlife breeder, once he has the permits and knows the time, date, and port of entry of the foreign tourists, will provide the military authority with this
information 24 hours in advance, so that he may designate an official to act as military inspector...".

The hunters may have just rolled up to the Border and continued on their way a few minutes later in the past, but to make a big deal out of the Mexican officials wanting them to comply with the current laws is a little ridiculous!
Maybe it's just me, but the Attorney quoted in the article came across like a petulant child, and in light of his attitude regarding compliance with the laws of a Soveriegn Nation, perhaps he shouldn't be allowed to handle any firearms at all.

Just my 2 peso's worth. I value my right to bear arms, and it's cases like this that add "ammunition" to the anti-gun lobby's arsenal.... Cameron

:rolleyes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.