BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11
Author: Subject: NB/SB Hwy 1 (toll road) Closed at La Mision due to road collapse (pictures)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 12:07 PM

What's the Portuguese bend?

Scary pics those. Mighty scary.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Tacate just became the new way down! I hate that road.

Yep, 3-5 hour waits will become common at Tecate

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by durrelllrobert]

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by BajaNomad]

Bob Durrell
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
What's the Portuguese bend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Bend

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
if you're in no hurry its fun to take the old dirt road from la mision (on the north side of the valley) to el porvenir, then down the 3. miss all the traffic:light:

the tiny little town of san jose de la zorra before you come out at porvenir is worth exploring.

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by willardguy]

WillardGuy or DK...have a nice map for this alternate route around the traffic? Thanks
steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
No hay paso en la Escénica a partir de La Fonda...vayan con tiempo, se reporta mucho tráfico en la Carretera Libre.

Hi Ken...where did this pic come from? I am looking for more in the La Fonda area...have any more?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 12:46 PM
more photos...

source: https://www.facebook.com/proteccion.civil.bc

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by Ken Cooke]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 12:54 PM

That part was always moving, but this is awful. What a mess and I also hope no one was injured or killed.

Thanks for the report
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steekers
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
if you're in no hurry its fun to take the old dirt road from la mision (on the north side of the valley) to el porvenir, then down the 3. miss all the traffic:light:

the tiny little town of san jose de la zorra before you come out at porvenir is worth exploring.

WillardGuy or DK...have a nice map for this alternate route around the traffic? Thanks
what makes you think DAVID would have a map?:lol: actually this dirt road WAS the road before the bridge was built into la mision. its begins right at the north end of the bridge, its on the tripleA maps

steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 01:08 PM

OK, will check my AAA map. Thanks.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 01:53 PM
San Diego newspaper report on road collapse

Hope no one was hurt with this latest collapse. This area has always been a wild ride. But driving slowly has its advantages, besides safety.

One cloudy winter day a friend and I were driving north, slowly, above this "salsipuedes" slope, and spotted a leaping gray whale. We pulled over to watch a group of gray whales leap, and leap, and leap.... and then do what gray whales usually do in the lagoons : make baby whales.

Quite an interesting perspective from high on the bluff... slowing down to enjoy the view has its advantages, but may no longer be possible after this latest collapse.

[edit] Whew- just reviewed the latest photos/video. Thanks to all for posting updates, images and news reports.

FYI, here's an English language report from San Diego newspaper: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/dec/28/tijuana-ensenada-...

Of note from this report:
"Meanwhile, the mayor of Ensenada, Gilberto Hirata, has blamed Capufe for not closing the highway stretch between La Misión and Ensenada earlier, even after reports of serious faults started to appear on social media and at the urging of state officials.

"He also stated that they were in talks with federal and state authorities about constructing an alternate road or replacing the highway with a bridge or another road after years of trouble with the current scenic route.

"The collapse would be devastating for the city of Ensenada and to the overall economy of the state, as the city is home to the third busiest cruise ship terminal in Mexico and gateway to the rest of Baja by the sea."

It's pretty miraculous that no one was injured. On the bright side: for gray whales, looks like they will have their privacy back along this stretch of coastline for quite a while ... ;D

[Edited on 12-29-2013 by Whale-ista]

[Edited on 12-29-2013 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:26 PM

thanks for the photos Ken. I suspect there are hardships all around because of this but the landslide risk is readily apparent to any geologist who has ever driven the toll road.

Muck like Devil's Slide on the Northern California Coast, these major zones of active landsliding are never really stable, only meta-stable...liable to let go ant the slightest excuse.

Decent traffic engineers plan for alternate routes.

I guess Puerto Nuevo will be hard to get to for some time, I will miss the lobster but at least I can get Dungeness Crab locally.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:29 PM

Probably due to the recent earthquake that hit Ensenada. I have been traveling through Tecate from the Ruta del Vino road from Ensenada to Tecate the last few months and the road is great. The only problem is there is no Sentri and if you cross on a weekend after 12 pm or in the mornings early it takes hours to cross. The good news is after 2 pm weekdays it's pretty clear crossing. One word of advice, make sure you drive at least one car length for every 10 miles an hour you are going and don't have anything hanging on your rear view mirror. Officers are working overtime and they are looking for any excuse to pull you over to check for smuggling, contraband and the like. The scenery is nice and the road is free. Just don't drink before you cross over to the US, like I said, they are handing out tickets like confetti on the US 94 highway.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geo_Skip
thanks for the photos Ken.

You are welcome, Skip.

Check out the video!:O A Semi-trucker got his rig stuck - not sure how the driver fared getting himself out (on foot). But, the truck sure isn't going *anywhere*.

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:44 PM

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:45 PM

IMHO

End of the line for this route. They'll have to cut a new roadway around the hills inland. There is NO WAY to stabilize a road base through a fault zone like this.

My bet is on SCT cutting access routes and joining with the free road north and south of the slide then using newly cut "paralelos" alongside the old highway to carry traffic.

Folks here who were in Ensenada on the 18th said they felt quite a shake.

Looks like there is every chance of the whole section sliding into the Pacific leaving a sheer cliff. Some developer will sell the new "sea view" homesites he he he.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:46 PM

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:49 PM

Great video Ken. Thanks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:57 PM

Ouch, that looks like the end of that stretch of highway. Pray that nobody gets killed.

I've mistrusted that coastal toll road ever since my pickup camper took a hit from a basketball-size rolling rock in a major flood in 1979. Rocks were bouncing down that hillside like cannonballs and I was doing my best to avoid them...but then BANG!

One thing for sure, the Tecate routes will all be swamped by now.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 03:35 PM

Suspension bridge over the unstable section. Easy peasy.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 03:50 PM
Holy shoot!

Those are some wild pics.... reminds me of old Hwy 1, up between Cambria and Big Sur.

The whizbang boys at Caltrans eventually got a solution in place on that one.

The Mexicans will get this one handled, sooner or later.

Think I'll stick to the gulf side, this winter.

Neil
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.