BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Robbed by goats in Baja?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 08:36 AM
Robbed by goats in Baja?

Friends of mine claim they were told by someone a story of driving in Baja and encountering a herd of sheep on the road (I assume they meant goats - no sheep in Baja?). When they stopped they were surrounded by armed robbers who stole pretty much everything they had.

I told my friends I thought this was absolute BS although I suppose it could have happened on the mainland. I have no idea exactly where or when this was supposed to have occurred.

Frankly, I don't believe it - hwy 1 is way too busy for such an event and also unlikely on some backroad since there are so few travelers. Just sounds like some other "urban myth" tale to me.

I did once come upon what appeared to me to be a "staged" auto accident on a highway on the mainland back in 1988 - I slowed down but something didn't feel/look right with bodies laying in the road, etc so I kept driving - hope I was right. (no, I didn't drive over anyone!).

Anyway, has anyone here ever heard of such a thing happening in Baja?

"I'm too young to be this old!"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 08:49 AM
Sheep or Goats

Can definately tell the difference

There are several flocks of sheep in the Manedearo/La Bufadora area.

Your friend probably ran into a group of sheep/goats that have gone bad.......however I did hear a story about a group of Mercats and some tourists..............:lol:

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by bajaguy]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 08:53 AM

In addition to Cabras (goats) there are plenty of Ovejas (sheep) in Baja and they are sometimes lead by un lobo.

Bob Durrell
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 09:11 AM

Sheep go to heaven - goats go to hell.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 09:14 AM

Now thats a YUK!:tumble:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 09:15 AM

They both go to BBQ extremely well!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrooks

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
They both go to BBQ extremely well!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrooks

Rhymes perfectly well!
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 09:34 AM

I believe goat tails go up and sheep tails go down. Also there are mountain sheep in Baja. Saw quite a few of them just above the highway south of Mulege some years back. Beautiful sight when they took off up the hill...will never forget it. I suppose in Baja they are referred to as Borregos.

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by mulegejim]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Now thats a YUK!:tumble:

don't think he was talking about our friend on the OT :lol:

Bob Durrell
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by unbob
Friends of mine claim they were told by someone a story of driving in Baja and encountering a herd of sheep on the road (I assume they meant goats - no sheep in Baja?). When they stopped they were surrounded by armed robbers who stole pretty much everything they had.

I told my friends I thought this was absolute BS although I suppose it could have happened on the mainland. I have no idea exactly where or when this was supposed to have occurred.

Frankly, I don't believe it - hwy 1 is way too busy for such an event and also unlikely on some backroad since there are so few travelers. Just sounds like some other "urban myth" tale to me.

I did once come upon what appeared to me to be a "staged" auto accident on a highway on the mainland back in 1988 - I slowed down but something didn't feel/look right with bodies laying in the road, etc so I kept driving - hope I was right. (no, I didn't drive over anyone!).

Anyway, has anyone here ever heard of such a thing happening in Baja?

Nope, unbob, I've made many years of round trips on the Baja Highway and never seen or heard of a robbery involving sheep or goats. Believe me, I would have remembered that scene!

Naturally, it would be rather inconvenient to herd, feed, and position sheep (or goats) as a part of your robbery equipment.
Definitely sounds like an urban myth to be ruled 'truth' or 'fiction' by those dudes on Mythbusters.

On the other hand, I have seen various 'staged' accidents and emergency situations that I went around after becoming suspicious. There were also some reports on this forum some time ago about certain regions where this type of crime occurred.

Anyway, thanks for the report...made me smile to think of a sheep-holdup. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 10:52 AM

....once saw a couple of 'sheat's in the palm-forest behind Mulege!

...it was a large pack of goats overall,,with a few that had goat physique,,but sheep hair!:O
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
....once saw a couple of 'sheat's in the palm-forest behind Mulege!

...it was a large pack of goats overall,,with a few that had goat physique,,but sheep hair!:O

Just look at the tails....up is a goat...down is a sheep.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-28-2013 at 02:51 PM
Perhaps They Were Just Responding

To Trent Lott's remarks.

From the Congressional Record:

"A slower rate of growth of Mexico's population would improve the economy of Mexico. It would also reduce the environmental pressure on Mexico's ecosystem. But a slower rate of growth would also reduce the long-term illegal immigration pressure on America's borders.

If the answer is 'build a fence' I've got two goats on my place in Mississippi. There ain't no fence big enough, high enough, strong enough, that you can keep those goats in that fence."

"Now people are at least as smart as goats," Lott continued. "Maybe not as agile. Build a fence. We should have a virtual fence. Now one of the ways I keep those goats in the fence is I electrified them. Once they got popped a couple of times they quit trying to jump it."

"I'm not proposing an electrified goat fence," Lott added quickly, "I'm just trying, there's an analogy there."

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.