Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Hottest chili??
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 04:59 PM

UDO,

I'm now starting my CR seeds from last year's crop. I paid $50 for 50 seeds from Puckerbush (inventor of the CR chili). They are now only about 10 cents each on Ebay from other growers. I'll start with 200 seeds in wet towels in a dark cool place. In about 2-weeks or less they will start hatching. Then I'll take about 50 of the healthiest seedlings and transplant them into potting soil in those little 2-inch square planting cups you get at HD. After about a month under grow lights in the garage they should reach a height of 4 inches. I'll then transplant them into 5 half wine barrels in the back yard that has only partial sun. My goal is to get 2-4 thousand CR chilis to sell at a farmers market along with the 10k seeds and aged hot sauce from last year's crop. They produce chilis for about 6 months as they grow from 4 inches to 7 feet.

Do you want any of these 4-8 inch CR plants for your back yard? I'll put them in smaller pots until you are ready for them.

Dennis

[Edited on 12-12-2015 by Lobsterman]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 06:05 PM

How do you use the "really" hot in cooking ??

Have used the Habanero ... very sparingly and it had a very unique "flavor" which I enjoyed

Have seen video's of people cooking with the "Ghost Chili" ..

They had it on a string and just dropped it into the "dish" being cooked and then pulled it back out :):)

Started using hot sauce in the service ... for really bad SOS and a few other things that got placed on my tray when going though the cow line :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 12-13-2015 by wessongroup]
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 08:01 AM

Wesson,

In my business travels I bring a few bottles of my AloHot' hot sauce to each location. It's mine and others favorite of the 5 hot sauce recipes I have so far made. I am amazed at how many people love hot sauce the hotter the better. They use it on just about anything. For me I only use it to augment the sauces and soups I prepare for meals. A drop or two is all you need. The CR chili has a long lasting hotness that covers the entire mouth and throat not just the tip of the tongue like most hot sauces. Too much CR hot sauce can cause one to hiccup, sweat, runny eyes and cause breathing problems as videos online depict. DO NOT get it in your eyes like one barmaid did in Oakland. I gave her the whole bottle for her spunk. When I came back a few weeks later she was asking for more cuz she already finished it.
https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/10-hilarious-video-reactions-e...

However after a year of aging in a refrigerated environment the hotness of the AloHot' hot sauce has mellowed quite a bit and I can finally appreciate it as I do say Tabasco Sauce, just a bit hotter, smokey with a wonderful after taste of pineapple and turmeric. I still have a gallon of pure CR hot sauce (30 chilies per quart of liquid) which I'll process into existing and new hot sauce recipes. To me it appears aging the CR hot sauce like Tabasco (3 years) brings out its true flavor and tempers its hotness.

[Edited on 12-13-2015 by Lobsterman]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 08:38 AM

Thanks, Dennis...

But temporarily I'll pass on this batch since I am at least 6 months away from growing anything. There are several other projects that have to be out of the way before I begin to grow a garden (including s sisters system to catch rain water).

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
UDO,

I'm now starting my CR seeds from last year's crop. I paid $50 for 50 seeds from Puckerbush (inventor of the CR chili). They are now only about 10 cents each on Ebay from other growers. I'll start with 200 seeds in wet towels in a dark cool place. In about 2-weeks or less they will start hatching. Then I'll take about 50 of the healthiest seedlings and transplant them into potting soil in those little 2-inch square planting cups you get at HD. After about a month under grow lights in the garage they should reach a height of 4 inches. I'll then transplant them into 5 half wine barrels in the back yard that has only partial sun. My goal is to get 2-4 thousand CR chilis to sell at a farmers market along with the 10k seeds and aged hot sauce from last year's crop. They produce chilis for about 6 months as they grow from 4 inches to 7 feet.

Do you want any of these 4-8 inch CR plants for your back yard? I'll put them in smaller pots until you are ready for them.

Dennis

[Edited on 12-12-2015 by Lobsterman]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 05:07 PM

Hey Lobsterman ... thanks

Question, how much shade you yours get ... you get to outstanding growth and/or production off your grows ... nice

Like to grow, but, its been a while ... about 3 or 4 years I haven't planted some thing ... not even tomatoes

Still enjoy seeing others ... plants are very cool :):)

Look what they do for golf .. I've played in the dirt .. not as much fun nor nice

Keep climbing :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 12-15-2015 by wessongroup]
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 12:52 PM

Wesson,

My 1/2 wine barrel beds get very little sun. Two get partial sun, more during the summer and 3 no sun. Suprisingly this does not seem to hurt the growth at all. Appears to me that the larger the planter the larger the plants since I had 3 much smaller pots which the plants only grew 3 feet with few small chilies while the wine barrels had plants that grew to 6-7' with many larger chilies in stages as the plants grew. They produced chilies for 6 months.

Two weeks ago I started this years crop. First I froze 200 seeds for two weeks. Then I placed the frozen seeds between towels and kept them damp in a dry, dark and warm place (hall closet). Today the 200+ seeds sprouted many white roots. I planted 170 of these hatched seeds into the 50 seed containers shown in the picture below. About a third still need to hatch or are not viable. Time will tell. This is my first time growing seeds from a previous crop. But it appears that these year old seeds from original Puckerbush seeds ($1 a piece) are very viable. I still have about 10,000 seeds from the original plants. However, the price of seeds has gone down dramatically cuz many people like me bought them soon after the CR chili made the World's Hottest Chili list.

Then I placed the 50 seed containers in the garage under grow-lights at 16 hours a day. We'll see how they turn out in future photos.

....................Seeds..............

.................Planted Seeds.........

[Edited on 12-24-2015 by Lobsterman]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 01:34 PM

Hey, thanks much ... very interesting

You got it "wired" ... :):)
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 04:45 PM
I'm a 2nd Year Failure

After all my effort to grow a new batch of CR chili's this year, they all died!. Why I do not know. Perhaps I started too early. So instead I decided to grow herbs and vegetables from tiny plants bought at a local nursery. I thought I made sure there was plenty of spacing between plants so not to crowd each other during their growth. So I turned over the soil over, added some more soil, added bone meal, blood meal and fish emulsion as well a bunch or earthworms. A month or so later the biotic soil produced this. The mint around the barrels use to be 2' high before I cut it back to make mint sauce for a leg of lamb.

So for novice green thumbs like me the secret is what you put in the soil.

Somewhere in the pics you can see:
3-kinds of oregano, 3-types of thyme, 3-kinds of parsley, tarragon, marjoram, mint, boc choy and its edible flowers, 3-kinds of kale, spinach, basil, 2-kinds of dill, cilantro and fennel. This is after I've been cutting back much of the wine barrel garden to feed my vegan daughter and health conscience wife as well as herbs for my many dinner recipes. Notice how these once itty-bitty plants are now fighting amongst each other for their piece of the sun.

[Edited on 5-1-2016 by Lobsterman]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 05:59 PM

:):)

too bad with the other ..... it happens

[Edited on 5-1-2016 by wessongroup]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-1-2016 at 10:36 AM

Wearing gloves and other protected gear I processed about 40 Carolina Reaper chilis into three different hot sauces, i.e. pomegranate, carrot/onion and garlic and just plain chilies. The shaker bottles are 5 oz. The pomegranate is to die for. Going to take a few samples to farmers market and send some back east to friends so others can enjoy the tingle of this chili. Below is an article about a Carolina Reaper eating contest.

My basic recipe is
1 cup water
1 cup organic apple cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
5-10 chilies (hot number)
1/4 cup thin-sliced carrots, garlic, onions, pomegranates, peaches, ect.

Seed and devein the chilies. Cut into strips. Place in pan with the rest of the ingredients. If using garlic saute' garlic cloves with husk on for about 15 minutes until soft, then remove husk and add to pan. Cook until all vegetables are soft, 5-15 minutes. Cool. Use a bullet or other type of food processor and mix until very fine. refrigerate for two days. Fine strain into shaker bottles.

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/art...

Here's an EBAY link for the sale of CR seeds. Just input Carolina Reaper seeds into the search. Since I'll have thousands of seeds, I must be a thousandaire. Seeds anyone?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p205060...

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by Lobsterman]

Will you be selling any of the bottled stuff? I have a good collection and my favorite is fourth from left on the bottom shelf in photo:

I edited the label to make it acceptable to this board. It now reads "I AM" "SOFA" "KING" "STEW" "PET" and you can copy it and use it on your bottles if you desire.

Bob Durrell
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2016 at 04:30 PM

Give me an address on OT to send them to you for free of charge ole friend or meet me somewhere in San Diego. I've got a couple of different recipes for you to try or present. In fact after storing the last batch for over a year in a refrigerated cooler, I'm ready to get out of the CR business. I've got about 1-2 gallons of the hot sauce above to distribute to friends as future gifts. Tabasco sauce is aged for about 3-years in a controlled environment. I've notice that the CR heat diminishes with time (a little) but the sauces' taste improves.
Dennis
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 11:44 AM
Dennis - If you are serious see your u2u

Give me an address on OT to send them to you for free of charge ole friend or meet me somewhere in San Diego. I've got a couple of different recipes for you to try or present. In fact after storing the last batch for over a year in a refrigerated cooler, I'm ready to get out of the CR business. I've got about 1-2 gallons of the hot sauce above to distribute to friends as future gifts. Tabasco sauce is aged for about 3-years in a controlled environment. I've notice that the CR heat diminishes with time (a little) but the sauces' taste improves.
Dennis

See U2U

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.