Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Hottest chili??
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 04:53 PM

I just think that hotter and hotter chili eating is nothing but an exercise in machismo.

As someone who loves great food, I just cannot see what is to be gained by using some of these outrageously hot chilies to the the point where your tastebuds cannot enjoy the flavor of what you are eating.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:23 PM

Every recipe that Howie has posted that I've tired is outstanding. I'll be doing this one as well.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 04:51 AM

Each to his own including his opinion. I myself am not a fan of super hot chilies unless they impart a great flavor once they are cooked down in a sauce. I plan on using the pear hot sauce in my Texas BBQ sauce and other sauces depending on what I'm cooking or smoking. I cooked this sauce for about an hour to thicken it but also to lessen the heat. I suspect when I apply this hot pear bbq sauce for the last 6 hours of the smoking a pork butt at 250 deg it will mellow down the hot some more to the wonderful sweet pear flavor with a habanero chili flavor in the background.

The Carolina reaper chilies are suppose to have a delicious smoky flavor along the same lines. Chilies are wonderful flavor agents which reduce in heat level the longer you cook them.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by Lobsterman]
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 04:48 AM

Carolina Reaper
Update: 1-month later

July 20th

August 17th: The Jungle

They look gnarly hot. Fire engine red when ripe.

My new favorite hot sauce for steak. Just a little dab will do it with "57".

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by Lobsterman]
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 02:28 PM

Sept 9th update

Tried the 1st chili and it was everything it was made out to be. Buying hot sauce bottles to bottle the first batch like a thin tabasco sauce.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 02:33 PM

You sure seem to have a very green thumb when growing those chiles, Lobsterman.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 02:35 PM

Now, how does it compare to the GHOST chile from the India mountains?

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwolfmt
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
I have a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion chile plant growing in my garden. Supposed to be the world's hottest chile. We'll see. I also have Chiltepins, Habaneros, Haustecos, Bailey Pequins, Jaloros, Sandia Green chiles and Poblanos. Will be making more hot sauce this summer.

hey Bob, The new king of the mountain ,,

Carolina Reaper

Udo

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 06:08 AM

UDO
Way to hang in there trooper. Last year I grew a pepper called the Black Widow which the grower said was a ghost chili. It was very hot and flavorful for making sauces. It only had small skinny chilies and not very many. That's why this year I tried the Carolina Reaper (CR) at $1/seed. It grows to 4' high and has many large roundish chilies. I will be making seeds out of the choice chilis (1st, biggest, gnarliest looking), then vacuum sealing them for storage and distribution. Out of 40 seeds started in the garage I now have 9 plants standing plus their 6 smaller offshoots.

I have my own test. First, I cut a small piece of the pepper skin off and taste it. This piece has little or no hot. I get the taste of the chili with this first piece. Then I progressively cut SMALL pieces into the meat of the chili. In my first CR chili taste test a few days ago, once I ate a very small piece of meat the initial flavor was good and smoky but immediately afterwards the heat built up fast and kept building. I drank a glass of milk to help stop the heat buildup. After minutes of needles sticking in my lips it toned down a bit. Now that's what I've been looking for in a chili.

If your stomach can handle it, I’ll send you a 3 oz bottle of CR Hot Sauce once I make my first batch in a week or two. Just U2 me an address to send it to.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 07:13 AM

They look deadly hot ... nice grow and close up ... interesting fruit :):)

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 11:44 AM

We ran a resort in Fiji. In the garden grew tiny chili's. They were sooo hot I was unable to use more than 1/4 of one , unseeded, in a sauce. The Indian wife of the resort's lawyer noticed them and picked a few off the bush and ate them. She reported them as having a "delightful" flavor. We were floored. We have since learned that there are people known as super tasters that can tolerate this level of heat. There are any number of sources for hot, and other, chili's. I happen to use Redwood City seeds. http://www.ecoseeds.com/ The owner has specialized in chili's all his life and has even developed his own "hotness" scale. This is a very viable source for good seeds.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:53 PM
My First Batch of Hot Sauces

Wearing gloves and other protected gear I processed about 40 Carolina Reaper chilis into three different hot sauces, i.e. pomegranate, carrot/onion and garlic and just plain chilies. The shaker bottles are 5 oz. The pomegranate is to die for. Going to take a few samples to farmers market and send some back east to friends so others can enjoy the tingle of this chili. Below is an article about a Carolina Reaper eating contest.

My basic recipe is
1 cup water
1 cup organic apple cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
5-10 chilies (hot number)
1/4 cup thin-sliced carrots, garlic, onions, pomegranates, peaches, ect.

Seed and devein the chilies. Cut into strips. Place in pan with the rest of the ingredients. If using garlic saute' garlic cloves with husk on for about 15 minutes until soft, then remove husk and add to pan. Cook until all vegetables are soft, 5-15 minutes. Cool. Use a bullet or other type of food processor and mix until very fine. refrigerate for two days. Fine strain into shaker bottles.

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/art...

Here's an EBAY link for the sale of CR seeds. Just input Carolina Reaper seeds into the search. Since I'll have thousands of seeds, I must be a thousandaire. Seeds anyone?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p205060...

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by Lobsterman]
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:28 AM

Hey, Buddy!

Great story in Bon Appetit.

One thing I learned from the story is that eating the peppers straight, and tasting a variety of hot sauces, are two horses of a different breed!

Udo

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 06:14 AM
November 1st 2014

I feel like Mickey Mouse in that Fantasia Movie when the buckets of water kept coming and coming and..... Well I'm that way with Carolina Reaper peppers. My tiny specks of seeds (40) grew in the garage into 11 little plants of which I killed 4. Those 7 plants grew into monsters outside in night crawler infested black soil.

I just cut back the jungle so I could see how many peppers are ready for the 2nd harvest. It appears to me (1st time grower) that the Reapers are juiciest when their color is a bright orange red vs a fire-engine red. When they turn to a dull red, they are on their last legs. I do not know how that equates into hotness cuz they are ALL super hot.

There turned out to be 205 Reapers that needed to be seeded and the pulp processed into hot sauce. This time due to how many chilies I have and lack of refrigerated space to store them, I increased the ratio of chilies for my "Kiss of Death" hot sauce from 10 chilies per basic recipe to a 16-chili batch. I also doubled the recipe amount of roasted garlic.

I now have 6200 dried seeds from the 1st harvest. The seeds from the 200 Reapers are in their 3-week drying process in the garage. I'm guessing another 4000 seeds. There must be about 100 green reapers now on the plants. The tallest 7-footer and others have 100s of pretty white flowers ready to turn into more Reapers. Yikes! What to do? I'm being over run with Reapers.

I now have about 4 gallons of "Kiss of Death" hot sauce both 10 & 16-chili hotness. I ordered (120) 3oz hot sauce bottles for this occasion (like Tabasco's).

Udo, I'm working at John Wayne Monday and Tuesday only so I'll give you a call and perhaps I could drop some off at lunch time. I'll U2U you.
....................................................................................
7 feet and growing up, up and away. When do Carolina Reapers die? How long will this go on and on and.....?

How would you like to count those seeds in lots of 100? One-half tsp equals about 120 seeds. Using protective gloves and eye ware, it took me 4-hours to top, cut in half, de-seed the Reapers to get the pulp ready to cook. With a glass of cold milk handy, I might add.

A sea of red Christmas bulbs. Um maybe Christmas tree ornaments for friends. On second thought my mother-in-law.

200 Reapers processed into 16-Chili hot sauce compared with last month's 5oz 10-chili sauce bottle.

[Edited on 11-1-2014 by Lobsterman]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 09:57 AM

WOW!!!! You do have a green thumb. I dry my extra chilies and fix with less hot, (chayenne, pequin, chipotle, any you like) peppers and grind into a pepper mix.

Dry and grind outside or live in a house that has been pepper sprayed.

Adding a little garlic and cumin also adds a bit of flavor.
Nice job!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 03:45 PM

For the past 6 months I have been working around the USA. I bring bottles of my AloHot' Carolina Reaper hot sauce with me. They make for a great conversation piece at work, in restaurants and sport bars I frequent after work. I was really surprised how many people love hot sauce the hotter the better. Needless to say I've run out of this hot sauce and decided to make some more with the many quarts of "Kiss of Death" hot sauce I have remaining from last year's bumper Carolina Reaper crop. I keep it refrigerated for aging.

I'm back to work in a couple of weeks, Oahu this time at the now closed Barbers Point naval base. I'll be staying in the town of Makaha on the far west end of the island. I plan on sharing this Hawaiian named hot sauce with the locals over pupus. I wonder if they like "hot" with their food dishes.

Below are a few pics from today making my AloHot' hot sauce recipe. It's not for the faint-hearted.

1. First I make the flavor base with pineapple, tumuric, cumin, garlic, ginger and other ingredients below. After blending for one minute, place in large pot and slow cook for 15 minutes. Makes 2 quarts.

2. Then I blend 2 quarts of aged "Kiss of Death" hot sauce (64 whole CR chilies) for 1 minute to heat it up. Then add it to the hot pineapple flavoring in a 1:1 mixture.

3. I then placed the combined mixture into a smoker oven at 300-350 degrees for 30-60 minutes depending on how much smoke you want in the final product. I used a combination of hickory and apple woods. I smoked this batch for 45 minutes at 300 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes.

4. After aging the cooled and refrigerated mixture of AloHot' for a couple of days, I'll bottle it in 3 oz shaker bottles. The final product first has a delicious sweet pineapple-turmeric taste on the front of the tongue, then the smoky undertones delights your palate before the CR chilies takes its punch as it slides down your throat, watering the eyes in the process. Therefore, be careful not to take a second taste for at least 30 seconds while the CR chilies tickle your whole mouth to the delight of the "hot" hot sauce lovers. The tingle, an aphrodisiac to some, lasts for many minutes!

[Edited on 5-28-2015 by Lobsterman]
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
For the past 6 months I have been working around the USA. I bring bottles of my AloHot' Carolina Reaper hot sauce with me. They make for a great conversation piece at work, in restaurants and sport bars I frequent after work. I was really surprised how many people love hot sauce the hotter the better. Needless to say I've run out of this hot sauce and decided to make some more with the many quarts of "Kiss of Death" hot sauce I have remaining from last year's bumper Carolina Reaper crop. I keep it refrigerated for aging.

I'm back to work in a couple of weeks, Oahu this time at the now closed Barbers Point naval base. I'll be staying in the town of Makaha on the far west end of the island. I plan on sharing this Hawaiian named hot sauce with the locals over pupus. I wonder if they like "hot" with their food dishes.

Below are a few pics from today making my AloHot' hot sauce recipe. It's not for the faint-hearted.

1. First I make the flavor base with pineapple, turmeric, cumin, garlic, ginger and other ingredients below. After blending for one minute, place in large pot and slow cook for 15 minutes. Makes 2 quarts.

2. Then I blend 2 quarts of aged "Kiss of Death" hot sauce (64 whole CR chilies) for 1 minute to heat it up. Then add it to the hot pineapple flavoring in a 1:1 mixture.

3. I then placed the combined mixture into a smoker oven at 300-350 degrees for 30-60 minutes depending on how much smoke you want in the final product. I used a combination of hickory and apple woods. I smoked this batch for 45 minutes at 300 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes.

4. After aging the cooled and refrigerated mixture of AloHot' for a couple of days, I'll bottle it in 3 oz shaker bottles. The final product first has a delicious sweet pineapple-turmeric taste on the front of the tongue, then the smoky undertones delights your palate before the CR chilies takes its punch as it slides down your throat, watering the eyes in the process. Therefore, be careful not to take a second taste for at least 30 seconds while the CR chilies tickle your whole mouth to the delight of the "hot" hot sauce lovers. The tingle, an aphrodisiac to some, lasts for many minutes!

Hey, muchas gracias for bringing by some of your hot sauces a few weeks ago. They are going slowly, but they are going. They sure are a cure for sore throats.
HOTTEST CHILI RELESE FORM

The undersigned chili taster acknowledges and understands that no warranty, either expressed or implied, is made by the chili cookers (Udo & Jana Winkler) as to the heat units of said chili. As part of being allowed by the chili cookers to taste the “WORLD’S HOTTEST CHILI,” the taster indemnifies Udo & Jana Winkler from all liability of personal injury suffered by the taster because of the extreme spicy heat generated by the said chili. Death is a possibility because of the extreme spiciness of the chili. Side effects may include dizziness and sweating, The undersigned taster has willingly participated in tasting the “WORLD’S HOTTEST CHILI” by accepting the optional powdered chili spices and willingly mixed them in the supplied chili

PRINTED NAME SIGNATURE DATE COOKOFF LOCATION

Here is a copy of my signature release form that I had chili tasters sign before they tasted my super-hot chili, back in the days when I used to participate in chili cook-offs:

[Edited on 5-28-2015 by Lobsterman]

Udo

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 04:46 PM

Udo,

Nice to see you are feeling better and getting back to your own self.

Thanks for the "Chili Hot Sauce Disclaimer Form". I'll definitely make some business-type cards with this disclaimer. I'll keep them with me if anyone asks to try the mystery hot sauce as I liven up a large bowl of Pho'. Many have not heeded my advice and took too much and consequently have paid the price. However, I had one guy tell me his eyesight improved after being stung by AloHot'. I've had many request to sell the product but the licensing and permits makes it cheaper to just give it away to the ones who enjoy this type of hot sauce.

I'll be working in the LA area for the foreseeable future come October (LAX, Santa Monica, Hawthorne, etc). Perhaps if you are still around I'll drop by and replenish your stash of hot sauce. I'm already thinking about others flavors for the +2 gallons of base hot sauce I still have remaining.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 09:27 AM

Hola Dennis!

Nice job of yours that takes you to Hawaii.

I am a lot better than when you saw me last. No more TPNs, implants. The only thing I am taking now is food, vitamins and seven different prescriptions: blood pressure, arrhythmia, and anti-diarrheal.
When you are near the OC area, perhaps we can plan a lunch in the LA area somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Udo

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 08:36 AM
After a Year

Udo,
I'm back from Hawaii after 4 months with the last project on Hilo's airport. After a month or two off, I'll be working part time in the LA area (Santa Monica, Hawthorne, Burbank, etc.) in 2016. If you are still there I'll drop in and let you try the smoked meats that come off my new wood-fired REC TEC smoker. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1rm3YNfYVw). The 20-hr smoked "fatty brisket" and its burnt-ends are to die for. I use a 17lb full packer brisket and DO NOT carve off any fat. I let the fat protect the meat as it S L O W smokes so it's as soft and melts in your mouth like butter. I also do not wrap it cuz it takes away its crispy outer bark.

A little over a year ago I started processing the 1000 or so Carolina Reaper chilies from 7-plants into different hot sauce recipes. I made 5 different hot sauces called, Kiss of Death, Pineapple, AloHot' and others. I average about 25-35 CR peppers per quart of liquid (vinegar and water). The hot sauces were too hot for me at the time but many around the country loved them in my business travels. They were great conversational pieces at restaurants and got me many free drinks and foods.

Surprisingly after a year of aging in a controlled environment of 39 degrees the hot sauces above have mellowed for me and others to finally enjoy. Many have found the CR chili to have a wonderful aftertaste to compliment how it stimulates the whole mouth just not the tongue with a long-lasting tickle. I still have about a gallon of aged CR only hot sauce that can be agmented into flavors like AloHot' with pineapple and turmeric.

My wife just talked me into raising another batch from the 10,000 or so seeds produced from the first batch above. I just put 200 seeds into the freezer for a week before I start the long process of growing the juveniles in the garage under grow lights until they reach a height of about 4". I'll pick the healthiest 20-25 or so plants. Then they will be transplanted into the 5 half wine barrels I have in the back yard. This time I will sell my aged hot sauces from the 1st batch along with the newly grown peppers at a farmers market along with my recently retired "green-thumbed" wife's beautiful succulent and cactus pots and displays.

The prolific growth of my last batch of CR chilis I attribute to the soil's management not this novice's growing ability. I read earlier and followed excusively using only bone meal, blood meal and fish emulsion (at Home Depot) as soil additives. PERIOD. Just look at the stoutness of its stalk on a 7' CR plant! The results speak for themselves.

I do not know if I'll make a batch of hot sauces from the new CR chilies cuz they are so hard on the body to process with masks and gloves. But we will see.

[Edited on 12-6-2015 by Lobsterman]
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 06:46 PM

Thanks for the kind note, Dennis!

I am glad you posted you fertilizer formula. I will be able to use it.
We now have a place in Ensenada, and should be ready to move in in about 2-3 months.

We have a real nice back yard which we will be able to use to grow vegetables, grape vines, herbs, etc. As things get going, I'll post some photos here on Nomads.

Let me know when we can get together, & i'll be there!

Udo

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.