Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Meds to Baja
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 12:47 PM
Meds to Baja

Has anyone had a drug that is unavailable in Mexico sent to them here in Baja by mail? We get regular albeit slow mail all the time but never prescription drugs. Not sure of the legal ramifications.
Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 01:16 PM

What drug?

The chances are pretty good you can get it here and for less. It will likely be a Latin American version and a different name.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 01:33 PM

Baclofen is the drug, generic for lioresal. Spanish name for the drug is Baclofeno. Tried everywhere in La Paz y Mexico DF.
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 04:11 PM

Weebray...check your U2U.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 04:30 PM

This question definitely interests me, as I'm on 3 blood pressure medications (Lisinopril, Atenolol, Hydrochlorothiazide) and one cholesterol medication (Simvastatin). At the moment I have them all mailed to me via "Express Scripts", but I'm guessing this won't be a particularly reliable method in Baja.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
This question definitely interests me, as I'm on 3 blood pressure medications (Lisinopril, Atenolol, Hydrochlorothiazide) and one cholesterol medication (Simvastatin). At the moment I have them all mailed to me via "Express Scripts", but I'm guessing this won't be a particularly reliable method in Baja.

All available at Farmacias Similares outlets.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena

All available at Farmacias Similares outlets.

I use the same ones and get them mailed to my Chula Vista PMB from Kaiser. Co-pay is A LOT CHEAPER than at Similares.

Bob Durrell
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

I use the same ones and get them mailed to my Chula Vista PMB from Kaiser. Co-pay is A LOT CHEAPER than at Similares.

I have no insurance for meds, so I'm on my own. However, on certain days of the week there is a 20% discount for purchases over $ 100 pesos, and since the pricing is very reasonable I doubt I could do better NOB. :saint::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 12:38 AM

"Originally posted by durrelllrobert
I use the same ones and get them mailed to my Chula Vista PMB from Kaiser. co-pay is A LOT CHEAPER than at Similares."

Durrelllrobert, Does Kaiser not care that you are in Mexico?
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 08:24 AM

I tried one year to have it forward to me, never saw them. USPO will forward first class mail to you from the states. some what reliable..

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 08:28 AM

I had noticed a Pharmacy in Todos Santos that sold all kinds of goodies. It would be interesting to see how much I'd have to pay for the same meds out of pocket versus my current prescription plan and crossing my fingers hoping that the mail is properly forwarded.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:31 AM

From what I recall, Bob does not live in Mexico full time. Are you a liason for Kaiser?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon
I use the same ones and get them mailed to my Chula Vista PMB from Kaiser. co-pay is A LOT CHEAPER than at Similares."

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:

Not as long as you have a US address. I would guess from listening to patients at the Kaiser facility in Chula Vista at least 25% only speak Spanish and the parking lot is filled with cars bearing Baja plates.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
From what I recall, Bob does not live in Mexico full time. Are you a liason for Kaiser?
Quote:

¡Qué suerte tengo!

Bob Durrell
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 10:09 AM

I believe it is a controlled substance and is used for Multiple sclerosis and other conditions that cause painful muscle contractions. You probably need to see a neurologist and find out where to get it as well as get a prescription.
Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Baclofen is the drug, generic for lioresal. Spanish name for the drug is Baclofeno. Tried everywhere in La Paz y Mexico DF.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 01:25 PM

Does anyone get asthma medications specifically Xopenex, Proventil, Pulmicort, or Advair in Baja?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 02:39 PM

advair is available here
around 70 bucks
different name

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 07:41 PM

Yes, Proventil is known as the generic albuterol in the US, and salbutamol in Mexico, they run about $50 pesos each per unit dose inhaler. Advair does run about $70, it's known as Serevent. I am sure you could get Pulmocort and Xopenex as well at the hospital pharmacies that have outpatient service, though you might have to special order them as well. Xopenex I have not seen, though I have seen Pulmocort. I know from experience working in the hospital, Xopenex is extremely expensive and many drugs that are super expensive in the US is not available in Mexico at many pharmacies because there is not a demand for them.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:08 PM

No, EnsenadaDr, I am not associated with Kaiser professionally. I am a Kaiser member though, which is why I was curious about them sending meds to Mexico. I thought I was going to have to find some way around that when I retire but it looks like durrelllrobert already figured it out.

durrelllrobert, you say Kaiser doesn't care as long as you have a US address which I get, but just want to confirm that they will mail meds to an alternate address in Mexico with no problem? If I got it straight, that is very cool! If not, please clarify for a confused person :?: Thanks!

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by Kgryfon]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 12:07 PM

ZERO medications can be sent to Mexico. They will be intercepted in Mexico (city) by ADUANA under the auspices of COFEPRIS restrictions which is a part of Sector Salud.

Mail, DHL, UPS, FedEx it doesn't matter. And it's not just medications. ANY and ALL devices medical fall under the restriction, even FILTERS for CPAP and BiPAP machines, never mind, machines and masks themselves. Vitamins, minerals, supplements, they are all seized by Aauana, with or without a written Rx by a USA or Mexican Dr.

From the school of hard knocks

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.