BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Boat importation law changes (per Discover Baja)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:06 PM
Boat importation law changes (per Discover Baja)

Didn't see a place for boating news to be posted (apologies if overlooked/already posted elsewhere).

Here's latest info from Discover Baja regarding bringing boats into MX. Not sure how/if this applies to kayaks.

TEMPORARY BOAT IMPORTATION LAWS HAVE CHANGED FOR BAJA

Be aware that the temporary boat importation laws have changed for Baja and now every boat that will be going down to Baja needs to have a temporary boat import permit. Inflatable boats that can collapse and fit into a bag are the only boats that are exempt from this law.

To get your temporary boat importation you will need to stop at the border on your way into Baja and have your paperwork in order. You can go into the Aduanas (customs) building at the border and they will direct you to the Banjercito where you will pay and get your permit.

You will need to cross at the Otay Mesa or Tecate border crossings (you are NOT able to get your permit at the San Ysidro, El Chaparral, port of entry).

You will need to have the following paperwork with you:

-Boat registration
-Motor serial number
-Copy of the title
-If there is a lienholder on the boat, you will need to have a letter from the lienholder granting permission to take the vessel to Mexico

The fee is about $50 and can be paid in pesos, dollars or by Visa or Mastercard. The permit is good for 10 years.

If your boat is already in Baja, you will need to go to Pichilingue in La Paz to complete this process. Only the owner of the boat can complete this process for the boat at Pichilingue (they will not allow a power of attorney).

Most marinas also require on-the-water boat liability insurance, which Discover Baja can provide.

FMM PORT OF ENTRY

If you are getting a prepaid FMM, tourist permit, from Discover Baja, please be aware that it is now mandatory for us to know the border crossing you will be using to drive into Baja (If crossing at Mexicali, you must specify east or west). The price for prepaid FMMs is $35.

For more information about FMMs, or to download the application for a prepaid FMM: www.discoverbaja.com/fmt.html

For any questions, please call us at 800-727-2252 or email us at ask@discoverbaja.com and we'll be glad to help!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:15 PM

You can also still use the web-site:

http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/siteBanjer/Bicentenario/ii...

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:18 PM
Boating forum?

Before posting here, I looked for a good fit, and realized there was no generic boating forum.

I realize many (most?) boaters are using their vessels to get up close and personal with fish, but perhaps a simple "Boating" forum for kayakers, sailors, etc. would be helpful as laws and policies change? :?:

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:21 PM

Are you sure its every boat and inflatables that fold up? . The Banjercito website where you can apply for the tip says you must get a tip for a boat greater than 14'7". Applying for a tip online is very easy . provide the information , pay the $50.00 US and your TIP will be delivered to your door step.

In my case it was 24 hours later by DHL and then I received a phone call from Banjercito to verify delivery. All this fuss over boats be impounded etc....just do the right thing , keep your paper work in order and it will be fine.

Here's the link: copy and paste into your browser.

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/opcionCaptur...
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:24 PM

$50 clams for a one week vacationer to bring his private trailer boat into Baja?...

Is that 10 year valid period apply when that vacationer goes back to his home and then returns next year?.....each and every return trip up to the 10th year?

Makes me no never mind, as my boat is a "national" panga.....born and bred in MX, but for the casual vacationing private boater it might make a big difference to go or not. Maybe!!

A formerly required annual "boat permit" seems to have been reborn with a new name.....TIP!!

[Edited on 1-14-2014 by DaliDali]

Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:25 PM
TIP

One more thing , I mentioned the 14'7" cause there's a lot of Tin boaters that wont need them . However , its not a bad idea and cheap insurance if you want to make certain that your trip goes off without a border hitch.:yes:
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:26 PM

Stupid question time from the new guy -

Does this apply to Canoes/Kayaks ? As it reads ...

-Boat registration
-Motor serial number

California doesn't require registration for a Kayak ....

D.~:?:
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL

Does this apply to Canoes/Kayaks ?

I had the same thought, a lot of kayaks are under the
size posted, some not, yrs. back, they would, instead of
a reg #, have the discription of the kayak listed, like yellow, Scupper, etc.,
most, all have a # imbedded in the hull
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua
One more thing , I mentioned the 14'7" cause there's a lot of Tin boaters that wont need them . However , its not a bad idea and cheap insurance if you want to make certain that your trip goes off without a border hitch.:yes:

those links were inoperable (or very slow). please provide link to the 14'7" size criteria,... wondering too how a kayak gets treated if rules have changed,...

ya know, some sups are as long as kayaks, perhaps surfers should get permits for their boards :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 02:28 PM

Before my post about the recent vessel impoundings (yesterday), I contacted Doug about starting up a board specifically for boating. I was surprised there wasn't one. He says he is going to do it and see how much it is used.

So, when it has been created, let's use it boaters, so we keep it.

The Nomads own cruisers board. :bounce:
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua

those links were inoperable (or very slow). please provide link to the 14'7" size criteria,... wondering too how a kayak gets treated if rules have changed,...

ya know, some sups are as long as kayaks, perhaps surfers should get permits for their boards :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And for sure.....a $50 clam "road use" fee on each and every entry for bicyclists.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Did some of you miss the notice in the opening post... this part?:

Be aware that the temporary boat importation laws have changed for Baja and now every boat that will be going down to Baja needs to have a temporary boat import permit. Inflatable boats that can collapse and fit into a bag are the only boats that are exempt from this law.

The confusion seems to be with kayaks and canoes.
Many US states do not require registration of such "boats".
Therefore, they do not meet the requirements for a TIP, as presenting a "registration" is one of the prerequisites to get that TIP.

Strictly defined and applied....a rigid canoe or kayak cannot get a TIP.....no papers.....no TIP.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 03:56 PM

I asked the Discover Baja folks about kayaks, they say "excluded."

DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 03:57 PM

David K -

I consider my soon-to-be-purchased Kayak as more of a deathtrap , and less a proper Boat . Just sayin' ......

D.~ , who HATES all things that float , other than Float-Tubes :biggrin:
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 04:42 PM

email from Discover Baja

We just spoke with Banjercito and they told us that it was for boat 15 feet and over.
Maythé

Discover Baja Travel Club
(619) 275-4225
(800) 727-2252
(858) 458-0722 Fax
www.discoverbaja.com
www.facebook.com/discoverbaja"
Quote:

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 04:48 PM

Looks like more bad info. getting people all stirred up over nothing. The law did not change, it is being enforced.

Quote:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 04:53 PM

Quote:

what about gravy boats? :?::?::?::?:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 05:02 PM

LOL! Good news on the kayaks and gravy boats!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Looks like more bad info. getting people all stirred up over nothing. The law did not change, it is being enforced.

That is correct. No change in the law. Just more consistent enforcement.

This same misinformation was floated on BloodyDecks a couple of years ago.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/380234-New-T...

By far the easiest way to get a TIP for a boat is online. I got mine for my current boat before I took delivery in Florida. The builder provided the hull number, motor serial number and trailer VIN number. I ordered the Tip online to be sent to the factory and picked it up when I picked up the boat.
sequoyah
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Before posting here, I looked for a good fit, and realized there was no generic boating forum.

I realize many (most?) boaters are using their vessels to get up close and personal with fish, but perhaps a simple "Boating" forum for kayakers, sailors, etc. would be helpful as laws and policies change? :?:

I think that would be great. You have a lot of boaters down here and they have a lot of information.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.