Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Paz dinner recommendation wanted
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 03:55 PM
La Paz dinner recommendation wanted

Going to be in La Paz along the malicon Saturday. Looking for a dinner recommendation for our party of 5. A fun place with good food and atmosphere is what we want, and price is not important.

Walking distance from La Perla hotel would be a plus, but would drive to the right place.

Thanks Nomads!!

[Edited on 2-7-2014 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 04:54 PM

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 05:10 PM

Not!
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 05:31 PM

The Shack is good for burgers and wings and stuff and has a great happy hour deal.
For decent food I'd avoid almost every restaurant on the Malecon, except Mariscos Laureles which is on the northwest end. Maybe a 15 minute walk. All the other mariscos places on the Malecon serve basically the exact same meals. Harker is a good pizza and burger place up in that direction.
Koi is also up there and is one of the better sushi places in town.
Just off the Malecon is El Tupe which was highly regarded in this thread, but I haven't been there yet.

NIM is three blocks off the northern part of the Malecon. Probably the most talked about new restaurant in town.
Otra Vez is also a new Italian restaurant and well regarded. It's just off Cinco de Mayo on Madero.
Tres Virgenes($$$), Buffalo BBQ and Trocadero are also close to the Malecon and have good reputations.

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by apple]

BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 06:09 PM

We like Il Rustico (sp?), very good, fresh italian food with nice courtyard outdoor dining, and Campestre for steaks and good Mexican dishes. Just about every time we have to go to La Paz we stop at one or the other. My wife is better at directions, I never pay attention to street names, so if you want actual street locations U2U me and I'll ask her.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 06:13 PM

We had the most wonderful meal with BajaTripper at (Nomad JESSE's) TRES VIRGENES... The best steak and Baja-craft dishes... This was in July, 2012. Last time I suggested Tres Virgenes I got messages the place wasn't so hot since then???

It is the kind of restaurant I think you would find the governor, mayor, business folks eat at... See there Facebook page.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 06:38 PM

I've eaten at Nuevo Pekin several times (including Christmas, 10 years ago). Good food, friendly people. Of course, liking Chinese food is helpful. It's at the corner of the Malecón and Guadalupe Victoria. Google says it's a 800m walk from La Perla.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 06:50 PM

Within walking distance from La Perla, and across from the water are Palermo's (really good Italian), and Bizmarquito (a fun seafood place that is generally inhabited by locals.Both are south (or west) of La Perla...anyway...to the right of the hotel, one to three blocks.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 07:08 PM

Palermos, a good choice if money is no object.
We love Campestre, but it's not in walking distance. (close to Walmart)
Shack has great burgers, but not a place for a nice dinner.
Hence the name.:P:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
rsadcock

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 08:12 PM

Never had a bad meal or experience at TailHunters. It's a lot of fun to sit on the second floor and look out over the Malecon. Good food, good prices, great atmosphere and the best view for sunsets!

Roger Adc-ck

AquaMarina RV Park
Propietaria: Maria Luisa Valdez de Adc-ck
R.F.C. VALL-321031-LM2
Calle NAYARIT #10 y PLAYA
LA PAZ, BCS, MEXICO 23060
Tel: (612) 122 3761 Fax: (612) 122 3761
http://www.aquamarinarvpark.com
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 08:16 PM

We haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I've heard good things about El Tupe.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150771-d410182...

"The future ain't what it used to be"
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 09:21 PM

all of the above.......just love La Paz!:bounce:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 10:50 PM

My buddy and I rented a two bedroom house between Nuevo Pekin & Tailhunters plus there is a Mariscos on the same block as Nuevo Pekin that has good food. It was a good time, as when we did not want to go far we had three places just down the steps from our rental house. The food at all three places was good but the Nuevo Pekin Chinese food is not even close to the places in Mexicali, being spoiled on great Chinese food Nuevo Pekin not even close. Tailhunters was good time and good food, laid back easy time there. The Maricos on that same block area is great and really gets packed with locals because it is really that good.

Parking at night was tough due to people going to those places so I had to move my car twice during the evening to get it back up to the house we were staying in. We rented from LaPazBay Rentals a Simon Loftus helped us. Great location when you can get a house right across the street from the Malecon and next to places to eat. Yeah, the music and people were loud at night (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) but since we stayed up later than when back home along with drinking talking about old times the noise was not a problem. LOL Take Care & Travel Safe-----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 11:27 PM

I would recommend Tres Virgenes!
Otra Vez used to be in Los Barriles, but moved to LaPaz. If the food and service are the same, I would NOT recommend going there.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 11:36 PM

"fun place with good food and atmosphere" on the malecon. I'd go to the shack!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 11:52 PM
La paz

I will make this short as La Paz has some great places to eat if you know were to go as in any place !! coming into town ,,say from the airport heading to marina de la paz ( mac &marys) on the right before the green Agencea place is a Papa place...Its been there for as long as I can remember...Damn good food.. and I have ate there for over 25 years and have never seen a tourest eating there ?? Wait a minute...I've been in mex since 68..baja since 77...does that make me a local,,,yes !! a good food place right before the Malicon !! I don't know if the " la Perla" has reopened,since the fire ??? and at the other end almost to the playground on the left side (bay) on the right is a marisco joint that packs them in...almost at the end of the Malicon.....enjoy !!! whoops,,almost forgot...going west/north right before the purple hospital ( fide paz) on the right is el compestre another local food place.. PS..I'M Homesick !!

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by captkw]

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by captkw]
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 12:43 AM

Azul at Costa Baja Marina is excellent and the best fine dining in La Paz. Tail Hunter is great for fish tacos and sashmi and burgers and cold beers.

Make it a Great Day!!
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 07:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Heading north in a couple hours. Should be a beautiful day!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
coconaco
Nomad

Mood: respooled

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 11:10 AM

Does anybody like Katrina's.
In the alley next to La Perla, on Sat nite it is a great places to watch the girls coming out for their weekly fashion show before going dancing.
This would be a great suggestion for 5 fine fisherman.

This would be a much better option than La Perla, Apple Bees or Burger King.

Does anybody like MAR y PENA?
not so close but a very solid restaurant.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 12:10 PM

I like Rancho Viejo II on the malecon, next to "The Jungle" and near the corner of 16th of September. Excellent for a casual meal, prices are great and I have found the food prepared consistently well.

Also, Tony's on the malecon next to the only OXXO on the malecon and near Fritz's. Service is attentive, you can eat outside on the sidewalk, prices are very fair, pizzas and c-cktail hour food are good and always served hot and some interesting suggestions for mixed drinks...very casual place. Fritz's seems more "exciting", but for some reason, every time I go to Fritz's, I wind up eating and drinking more at Tony's.

There is a restaurant in the alley next to La Perla, could be Katrina's mentioned above. They have a dish called "Molcahetes" that is a stew served in a really hot stone bowl. You can get it as a sea food stew that has shrimp, fish, scallop or sea snail, sausage, cactus, roasted jalapeno and a great delicious chunk of hot panela cheese...to kill for. Get the flour tortillas with it. My wife and I always split one order and we both get full. Watch out for their pricing, though. The waiter out smarted me and charged me 25 pesos for each soft drink, charged extra for a few chips and salsa, and then added 11% IVA to the bill when 16% IVA was already included in the price of each item.

Lastly, you might try the crepes at a place on the malecon a couple of doors north of the corner of 16 de Septiembre. It's a small place that specializes in crepes. I love their basic crepe of butter, cinnamon and sugar...can't get enough of them...$28 pesos each and well worth it. They have all kinds of crepes, haven't eaten any other than the basic cinnamon crepe, but looking at other peoples' orders, they certainly look fabulous. I go there for a dessert treat as a traditional last night on trips to Baja in La Paz (six times a year). Great thing to do in the early evening preceding a stroll on the best board walk (malecon) in all of Mexico.

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by MitchMan]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.