Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: La Paz dinner recommendation wanted
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Watch out for their pricing, though. The waiter out smarted me and charged me 25 pesos for each soft drink, charged extra for a few chips and salsa, and then added 11% IVA to the bill when 16% IVA was already included in the price of each item.

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by MitchMan]

Not much of a recommendation.
Would have been the last time I ever went to that place and would go out of my way to broadcast this.:no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 02:18 PM

Hands down the very best restaurant in La Paz is the Buffalo BBQ. They have had a new chef for a little while and he is the tops. We really like Il Rustico, Estancia Uruguay, Bismarquito, but our favorite still remains the Buffalo. The last night we were in there we saw Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell ? but that is not necessarily a recommendation for the quality of the food which is off of the charts.

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 03:35 PM

And for breakfast try the

couple of blocks away but a great place with homemade bagels and homemade lox!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 05:20 PM

Just thought I'd report on our night in La Paz. Pescador, we took your recommendation and went to the Buffalo BBQ a couple blocks up from the malecon. Oh my! It was really, really good! We had a giant pile of meat served family style with ribs, prime rib etc. and a couple bottles of wine. Five of us could not finish the meat, but we did manage the wine quite nicely, thank you. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is interested in a very nice dinner out. Great garden like atmosphere too. This is not a budget place, but well worth it in my book.

(About noon the next day as we were touring artists' houses in Todos Santos we remembered the meat in the to-go box. We scarfed it down is seconds. Great the next day cold.)

We spent the night at the good old La Perla, situated right in the middle of the action. It was the usual perfect evening in La Paz with all the folks walking, skating, biking and cruising their cars up and back. Grandmas, babies, lovers, teens, couples...everyone with a ready smile. You can't beat a balmy evening along the bay in La Paz.

The hotel is kind of a faded glory, but the small, clean room with the quite firm bed was adequate for a night's rest after a long day. We ate breakfast downstairs, watching the world walk by. Our waiter had been employed there for 32 years and we remembered him from many years past. Good time was had by all.

Thanks again everyone for the tips. Can't wait to get back.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 05:34 PM

You can't beat a balmy evening along the bay in La Paz.

aint that the truth!:yes:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 05:53 PM

I vote for Jonathan Roldan's Tailhunter. It's a three story, or more like 3 1/2 story place with great views of the bay. It's sort of a sports bar, but they have really good food and very fresh seafood, owing to their own fleet. They also have Negro Modelo on tap, as part of a full bar.

Las Virgines may be the best traditional restaurant in La Paz, but if someone says they want to have fun, Tailhunter works.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 06:15 PM

I am so glad that you reported back about your final choice and the response to it.

I do also second the crepe place ... really delicious crepes.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 08:28 PM

I am glad you had a great experience. I find it amusing that when someone asks about a good dinner experience and then we get reports of Johathan Roldan's Tailhunter or the Shack. I have eaten in both, but that would be like comparing McDonalds or Burger King to Ruth Chris Steakhouse.
Tres Virgenes used to be the top of the list, but the prices have gone up and the quality, in my opinion, has gone down. Palermos is good in terms of ambience but I have had mediocre meals there the last two times.

Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 08:01 AM

We had lunch at the Shack this past Saturday. We think that it has slipped in food quality. Still very funky but, for us, we will search out other burger options. Tailhunter's has been consistent and good for us.

We also give a very good recommendation for Il Rustico for a nice dinner spot.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Palermos is good in terms of ambience but I have had mediocre meals there the last two times.

I have had similar experience with Palermo's. The Sunday brunch doesn't seem as good as it was 4 years ago, but, love the ambiance and décor; when they have a good pianist playing during the meal, it helps make up for the food.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I am glad you had a great experience. I find it amusing that when someone asks about a good dinner experience and then we get reports of Johathan Roldan's Tailhunter or the Shack. I have eaten in both, but that would be like comparing McDonalds or Burger King to Ruth Chris Steakhouse.
Tres Virgenes used to be the top of the list, but the prices have gone up and the quality, in my opinion, has gone down. Palermos is good in terms of ambience but I have had mediocre meals there the last two times.

The original post mentioned a fun place. I took that to mean they weren't looking for the finest cuisine in La Paz. I have never been disappointed at Tailhunter, I know that it is what it is.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.