Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Photo Essay- Mulege-San Juanico-La Purisima-Paso Honda-Mulege
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 07:04 PM

Glad you all like the pics.
Tio, Moouse, my Lab, loves getting in the boogie, but he doesn't like the 5 point harness or the helmet. Wiggly, the Mulege Purebred, is not an air cooled gal, she likes her creature comforts.
Someone here must know the story behind that whale watching boat. It looks like it has been there for years. A ton of work and fiberglass went into that thing.
A 4x 4 quad will have difficult times not getting high grounded in the deep holes and ruts. A 1000rzr would find it a challenge. Then again, I know an Artic Cat guy who may attempt it.
If you go, have 2 vehicles, and let one go up solo in case he is stopped and needs to come back down { or up} you won't have to move 2 vehicles. Once you start, there is no turning back. I didn't take pics of the rough stuff because stopping for a Kodak was not an option. Maintaining your momentum is a must.
The canyon and Valleys are spectacular! Very surreal, goats on the cliffs, driving thru huge cactus with no under growth, just plain sand, breath taking views in all directions.....
Kurt.. you and Al and Ged would get along great. We will have to set up a meet.

a couple more pics..

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 07:25 PM

At the bike shop today the word was that a local on a bike tried to get through from Mulege to San Isidro (Southbound) last week and had to turn back due to loose rock on the climb. Hmm.

They also are talking about an attempt at loop ride after new years from Mulege to San Jose de Magdalena via Mission Guadalupe. Much laughter from me. With any luck I will get loose next week and snoop in west from Magdalena and report back.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 07:37 PM

who are you talking too? San Jose de Magdalena via Mission Guadalupe is blocked.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 08:03 PM

I know that. And I told them that. That's why I'm going to explore the road from the Magdalena end. I would never hear the end of it if they made it though so I'd better be sure of my facts.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 08:15 PM

Thanks for the trip report and pictures, excellent. We did the San Isidro to Mulege in 2012 and San Raymundo in 2014. Hope to get back down there on them soon. Just don't know when, before NORRA maybe.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I know that. And I told them that. That's why I'm going to explore the road from the Magdalena end. I would never hear the end of it if they made it though so I'd better be sure of my facts.

That should be fun! I got into the bottom of the box canyon just past the last corral on the right, dropped into the riverbed and only got another 100 yards or so. Hiked up another 100 yds or so, was hot and steep, no go for mo-tow. My waypoint there is about 5/8 mile airline from the one I got on the top of the box canyon. Tough section, even for a baja goat!

Suggestion: try the side "road" east to rancho El Gato, I haven't done that since Odile passed through, makes a loop out of it. Is a 2 to 4WD bushwack that weaves over the low pass between your road of interest and rancho El Gato, which is just off the road into the cave paintings.

I lead motoG thru there in '14. So if he can get through, anybody can! :lol:
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  

Kurt.. you and Al and Ged would get along great. We will have to set up a meet.

Yes, I look forward to meeting them, Its pretty clear that Al and Gulliver have off road riding skills that surpass mine. Kathy and I were really lucky in our timing when we drove through from San Isidro to Mulege in March 2012. There were spots that made me a little nervous in our Explorer with street tires and we were just one vehicle. Nonetheless we were both really glad we did the trip, the scenery was incredible. Especially the views at mile 37 southbound looking straight down into that deep gorge.

I was in Mulege briefly end of Oct but wasn't feeling well so headed back home. Very likely will ride down again in late Jan and then Kathy and I will be doing another Spring 4wd camping trip probably just after Semana Santa. I will look you up.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:58 AM
Before Modern Roads... in 1962

To get to Mission Guadalupe required a mule ride south from San Sebastián on El Camino Real. The switchback mission trail can be seen on Google Earth.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 03:09 PM

Sounds good, yeah, we should meetup in late Jan and go look for some more of these too...
Just takes a sharp eye and dumb luck!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 03:41 PM

Very cool! I'm heading down next week, but don't expect to see any real off-road action with my wife and son in tow.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 02:33 PM

Quote:

Do you or anyone else know a good spot where it would be likely to see a roadrunner?

I have been trying to get a foto of a roadrunner, but no luck yet. Look closely, they are on most dirt roads.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 05:28 PM

Saw one today Out West of San José de Magdalena but he was, well . . ., running!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 11:15 AM

Mulege-San Juanico-La Purisima-Paso Honda-Mulege trip album 43 pics.
Extra Lap Al on a Honda 600XR and I left Friday and took our time to San Juanico, 4 hrs with stops of about an hour. Camped on the beach and meet 2 different parties from my hometown in

Mass, a tiny fishing village. Amazing small world. Got a late start and headed for La Purisima, then back to Mulege via Paso Honda, the hard way, to say the least. Climbed over two mountains of

3700 ft from sea level and it was treacherous! Got back to Mulege in one piece about 4pm. Coming back this way revealed amazing sights from oasis, deep canyons, 60 ft cactus, water holes

and beautiful valleys. It was a true adventure over those mountains. The pics don't tell the whole story - steep! twisty narrow rock strewn trails ( not really roads), land slides, rock slides, hugh tire

eating holes, no way to turn around, no way to back down, just go for it and make No mistakes. We had done one of those mtns last october and thought that would be easier than the first and it

was , but only slightly. It was 10 times more difficult than in Oct. Things change quickly here. Enjoy the ride, I did !
more pics on my facebook - zgdesign

Packed and ready to roll

Heading out Ice House Rd to San Juanico

all roads from ice house road are recently graded to the base of the mountains

San Juanico

Heading to La Purisisma

Road is a freeway from LP to Paso Honda, then it is a trecherous climb over 2 mountains. Shoebox size rocks 2 ft deep up one side, small slippery rocks and gravel going down. The next

mountaion was full of dirt and rock slides. High clearance, crawling low gear, good tires is a must. Not for the faint hearted.

This is coming down the first mtn, arrow denotes the road. It looks easy, but it was a b-tch.

Last descent and we will be home! Great trip!

Richard, can you make all the photos you had here available fior viewing again?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 11:43 AM

David K...These fotos were hot linked to my FB images. FB has now denied that access. You can still see the fotos in the FB album here

https://www.facebook.com/zgdesign/media_set?set=a.1015203606...

can be seen by anyone, on or off FB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 11:54 AM

David K...These fotos were hot linked to my FB images. FB has now denied that access. You can still see the fotos in the FB album here

Thank you... After MulegeAL saw my map with the road to Paso Hondo included, I made an edit as I guess the grade is washed out. Kurt G drove in 2012 and then I saw your post of 2015, so the washout was in the last two years?

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 10:52 AM

Hey Willy, the link doesn't work for me. Really interested to see your photos. Just did a loop from Mulege to San Juanico via San Raymundo. Then back to Mulege via La Purisima.

I like beer, better than most people.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 12:33 PM

Link still works for me. If you are still having troubles, go to
https://www.facebook.com/zgdesign
then photos>albums and you will see the trip report

note the date... this is not current info
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 01:32 PM

It also just worked for me. Takes you to Richard's album for just that trip

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 02:04 PM

Super weird, must be my open hatred for face book.
Still doesn't work.

I like beer, better than most people.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Super weird, must be my open hatred for face book.
Still doesn't work.

Maybe because I have Facebook accounts (for my Baja Mission book discussion and a personal one)?

They are photos of the road, signs, a little girl, etc.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.