Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Photo Essay- Mulege-San Juanico-La Purisima-Paso Honda-Mulege
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 04:18 PM
Photo Essay- Mulege-San Juanico-La Purisima-Paso Honda-Mulege

Mulege-San Juanico-La Purisima-Paso Honda-Mulege trip album 43 pics.
Extra Lap Al on a Honda 600XR and I left Friday and took our time to San Juanico, 4 hrs with stops of about an hour. Camped on the beach and meet 2 different parties from my hometown in

Mass, a tiny fishing village. Amazing small world. Got a late start and headed for La Purisima, then back to Mulege via Paso Honda, the hard way, to say the least. Climbed over two mountains of

3700 ft from sea level and it was treacherous! Got back to Mulege in one piece about 4pm. Coming back this way revealed amazing sights from oasis, deep canyons, 60 ft cactus, water holes

and beautiful valleys. It was a true adventure over those mountains. The pics don't tell the whole story - steep! twisty narrow rock strewn trails ( not really roads), land slides, rock slides, hugh tire

eating holes, no way to turn around, no way to back down, just go for it and make No mistakes. We had done one of those mtns last october and thought that would be easier than the first and it

was , but only slightly. It was 10 times more difficult than in Oct. Things change quickly here. Enjoy the ride, I did !
more pics on my facebook - zgdesign

Packed and ready to roll

Heading out Ice House Rd to San Juanico

all roads from ice house road are recently graded to the base of the mountains

San Juanico

Heading to La Purisisma

Road is a freeway from LP to Paso Honda, then it is a trecherous climb over 2 mountains. Shoebox size rocks 2 ft deep up one side, small slippery rocks and gravel going down. The next

mountaion was full of dirt and rock slides. High clearance, crawling low gear, good tires is a must. Not for the faint hearted.

This is coming down the first mtn, arrow denotes the road. It looks easy, but it was a b-tch.

Last descent and we will be home! Great trip!

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 04:31 PM

I certainly hope these photos meet the dumb guidelines on this page because they are just super!
BB
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 04:40 PM

Brings back good memories. I have done that route across to San Juanico several times and in March '12 Kathy and I did the back way from San Isidro to Mulege and posted a trip report here. That trip was inspired by Mulegena's description of their trip. I had tried 3 previous times going back 15 years to get through and finally managed. As you said there were places where there was no turning back, the descent to El Llano in particular. The views at mile 37 southbound made the whole thing worth it. Did the motorcycle go through there and if so how did he fare?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 04:54 PM

Very, very nice. Great Photos!
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 05:19 PM

Thanks for the compliments!
Al never fell, but his rear tire came very close to bouncing off the trail and he would have fallen, way way down. He has years of experience and it showed as he bounced from rock to rock.
I usually post 2400 wide pics to FB, but used 1200 as a compromise so i could use the same pics here.
May be a little bit big for antique monitors .

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 05:31 PM

Nice! Looks like a fun trip!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-16-2014 at 05:38 PM

Great trip photo report, amigo. Brings back some very old memories of the trail to the Far Side.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 03:59 AM

WillyAirstream, Thanks.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 04:28 AM

Graet pics, Richard!

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 06:56 AM

Great ride, thanks!

One of the best favorite places in the world - La Purisima to Mulege, south to north-east.

Love it!!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 08:08 AM

That tienda for sale in La Purisima would be the hippest place in town if it was north of the border. Put that in SD and it would be some urban trendy pub or something.

Thanks for the photos.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 08:14 AM

great! Picture perfect. Would like to try that route on a 4x4 quad.
Majorcynik

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 08:28 AM

FANTASTIC!!!:spingrin:
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 09:45 AM

Thanks for posting up the pics of our trip, 'yer an easy guy to travel the backcountry with!
Honda XR600 rules on no bueno camino! 17 years of baja on that bike, is still a solid dependable ride.

Note to any who think they wanna do the route from San Isidro north:
Road conditions over the high passes around here have deteriorated significantly since Jimena/Paul and subsequent tormentos. I have been over all the high pass routes this season and the only one that is passable easy w/clearance is west of here down the San Raymundo wash.

All the other high pass routes have severe erosion damage to the roadbed and are very difficult to transit.

The part I am concerned about is that the low roads on the valley floors are much improved, better than ever actually, making the approach to the mtns easy. But as soon as you go past the end of the improved camino it becomes very difficult and would be dangerous for transit by anyone with less than very good to expert skills off road/survival/self-recovery. Richards pics in no way show how bad the bad parts are, and neither do mine. Please do not let his scenic pics suck u in over your head, this route is the deep end of the pool, around here anyways.

If anyone does choose to go the hard way, please be sure to let nomads know behind and in front!

I got a cold one here for the next one who can make a clean pass through (probably shouldn't say that, but the guys who are gonna do this are gonna do this, might as well compare notes!)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 11:09 AM

Great photos Willy...brings back memories, great ones!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 02:11 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip and fotos, Amigo. The beaches in San Juanico look inviting with the little shade palapas. Summer escape from the heat. I'll be up in another month and let's go exploring. Where did the dog ride, shotgun? Tomas
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 03:04 PM

Great photos! Do you know the story behind the whale looking boat thing?
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 03:38 PM

Wow, I've been to those spots 3 years ago and they were torture on the motos. Beautiful scenery but brutal routes to ride. You've got a U2, I'll be in Yuma 3:10 on Friday.

[Edited on 2-17-2014 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MulegeAL
Thanks for posting up the pics of our trip, 'yer an easy guy to travel the backcountry with!
Honda XR600 rules on no bueno camino! 17 years of baja on that bike, is still a solid dependable ride.

Note to any who think they wanna do the route from San Isidro north:
Road conditions over the high passes around here have deteriorated significantly since Jimena/Paul and subsequent tormentos. I have been over all the high pass routes this season and the only one that is passable easy w/clearance is west of here down the San Raymundo wash.

All the other high pass routes have severe erosion damage to the roadbed and are very difficult to transit.

The part I am concerned about is that the low roads on the valley floors are much improved, better than ever actually, making the approach to the mtns easy. But as soon as you go past the end of the improved camino it becomes very difficult and would be dangerous for transit by anyone with less than very good to expert skills off road/survival/self-recovery. Richards pics in no way show how bad the bad parts are, and neither do mine. Please do not let his scenic pics suck u in over your head, this route is the deep end of the pool, around here anyways.

If anyone does choose to go the hard way, please be sure to let nomads know behind and in front!

I got a cold one here for the next one who can make a clean pass through (probably shouldn't say that, but the guys who are gonna do this are gonna do this, might as well compare notes!)

Al,
I agree with you completely. After going through there in our Explorer part of the reason for my trip report was to give a good picture of the difficulties. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there were places that we didn't want to have to try to go back up and I would only do that trip South to North.

I admire your riding skills. I am a mid-level dual sport type who has done most of those back country roads on a beat up old KLR over the years. I would not attempt that route on two wheels. Perhaps in younger days but no more. I'm going to be in Mulege in the near future so will look you up. Also, I agree with you about the xr600, a great dependable bike. I just can't handle kick start anymore, gotta have that nice starter button.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 05:10 PM

KurtG,
Hell yeah, come on down!
I expect to be out in the San Martin wash again end of the month/2 wks with the mexicans for a couple of days. Got some stuff to take 'em. Might be quad, might be moto w/mexican backup, will see. Is all good.

Believe it or not, when the XR was new I could start it by hand when stuck in tight places in the Trask River coastal mtns where it was impossible to get a foot on it. It has unique and effective compression release/anti-kickback features.

SweetH2O,
Not sure if you are conversing with me, but anyways, if u are in Yuma, go east of town and practice your powerslides on the irrigation dike roads, they go for miles, are perfectly graded; is a real hoot!

And then there's the Barry M Goldwater bombing range to ride thru.....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.