BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Public transportation options to TJ airport?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 10:16 PM
Public transportation options to TJ airport?

I have some friends who will be flying from TJ to Hermosillo, Sonora on Volaris. They live in South OC.

What are the best options for getting themselves and their suitcase to the TJ airport?

I heard there might be some kind of Greyhound bus connection?

Amtrak and trolley?

Dropoff at the border, walk across and taxi?
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 11:55 PM

Getting to San Diego Santa Fe Depot (NOT OLD TOWN!):

Option A: Amtrak to San Diego from Irvine [$24], San Juan Capistrano [$22] or San Clemente Pier [$21].

Option B: Metrolink to Oceanside from Irvine [$11], Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo [$9.75], San Juan Capistrano [$9.25], or San Clemente Downtown [$8.25]. Then switch to the Coaster [$5.50] to get to Santa Fe Depot.

Getting to the airport:

OPTION A: Take any trolley line (green, blue or orange) to the 12th St./Imperial Transit Center [$2.50]. Walk 1/2 block to the Greyhound station. Then board a pre-booked Volaris/Crucero shuttle direct to the Tijuana airport [$15].

OPTION B: Walk across the street to America Plaza, then take the Blue Line trolley to the end [$2.50]. Walk across the border and take a taxi libre (orange and white) to the airport. Negotiate the fare before boarding the taxi; fare shouldn't exceed 150 pesos [$12].

Bear in mind that the return trip will be more expensive as the taxis licensed to the airport have a monopoly. Expect to pay US$20 to get to the border.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 06:35 AM

WOW! What a concise answer. Kudos, supergeek!!! And thank you very much!!
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 07:21 AM

Regarding the Volaris shuttle from San Diego to the TJ airport. My brother-in-law took it last week and it left from the Amtrak (Santa Fe) station, not the Greyhound bus station. You might want to double, double-check with Volaris on this if you decide to go for that option.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 07:37 AM

Thank you Linda.

Do you book the Volaris shuttle at the time you book your ticket? Does it come up as an option during the purchase process?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 07:37 AM
Volaris info

http://volaris.com/en/prepare-your-trip/travel-information/s...

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 08:10 AM

Thanks, bajaguy.

That link seems to confirm that the shuttle leaves from the Amtrak station AND from an unspecified 'DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO" location about 15 minutes later. So, it appears that the same shuttle goes to two locations in SD before crossing the border. Is 15 minutes about the distance between Amtrak and the Greyhound depot?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 08:26 AM

If they use the Volaris shuttle van from the Santa Fe Depot to TJ, I'd suggest taking one shuttle earlier than they think they'll need to make their flight in case of unusual circumstances.

We had made reservations but they over-booked our scheduled shuttle and there were way too many passengers to be safe.They spent an extra 20 min squeezing bags and people in the van. We decided to pack in the van anyway but should have waited for the next one. The van had to drop us off at an different pedestrian access at Otay than usual because of construction, and we walked about 1/3 mile to the border with luggage which took another 20+ minutes.

Glad I'd booked us on the shuttle that was 3-4 hours before our flight because we arrived in time to make the flight comfortably. Shuttle passengers on other flights were stressing because they were going to be late.

You can book the shuttle at the same time as your ticket or you can book just the shuttle through the Volaris website.

Another tip- my neighbor waited 2 hr for the Volaris shuttle to pick her up on the US side at the Otay border. It never arrived. We waited 1 hr at the same location and ours finally appeared. Unfortunately, I didn't a phone number to call to check on the status but I'd suggest trying to get one in case you need to contact them while waiting.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 10:41 AM

Try the Metro Link train to Oceanside Transit station (or simply drive down there from OC.. Free parking is avalible while they are in Mexico).. Get the Greyhound bus from Oceanside station that takes you to the TJ ariport, via a stop at the SD Sante fe Stattion ($16 one way, person).. Allow plenty of time for arrival to the TJ airport, as delays can happen... Check the schedule, but I think the bus leaves every 4 hours from Oceanside to TJ airport..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 11:10 AM

Ah, my information may be outdated. There was never any room for buses before they revamped that plaza. If there's a bus from Santa Fe Depot that does make it easier, but the warning about returning still exists: the way these things work is that you take a Mexican Volaris bus to the border, wait in the bus line to clear customs, and then have to catch a US-side bus. (This is because it takes much longer for pedestrians to clear than empty buses.)
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 11:31 AM

LaTijereta, does the Greyhound bus option from O'side to the TJ airport also force you to disembark the bus, walk across the border and pick it up after clearing Mex customs?
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 12:03 PM

The Volaris shuttle is now available only for those flying in/out of Tijuana on Volaris. Last year my daughter used the shuttle to make connections from the airport in San Diego to Tijuana to fly on down to Loreto on Aereo Calafia. When she tried to do the same for a trip down next month she could not book a seat on the shuttle without a ticket for a Volaris flight out of TJ.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
LaTijereta, does the Greyhound bus option from O'side to the TJ airport also force you to disembark the bus, walk across the border and pick it up after clearing Mex customs?

Going to the TJ airport there is no disembark..just when crossing north into the US..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 02:26 PM

When you cross south on a bus, the bus will pull into secondary. Everybody will get off the bus and walk past the traffic light. Push the button to see if you've been selected for secondary. The bus will be inspected. You walk a few feet, put your luggage back on the (same) bus, and continue to the airport. Easy.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 02:43 PM

So, I notice that the Volaris site says they have a shuttle back to the US locations. So, everyone walks across, northbound, the bus is inspected and waits in the secondary inspection area for everyone to clear US customs? And then everyone reloads back onto the bus?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 06:23 PM

Taking Greyhound Bus for a round trip from Orange County, CA (Santa Ana or Anaheim) to Tijuana Airport ("TIJ") costs $26 USD if you pay for it online. Best deal going. You don't have to pay for taxis to/from the border to/from the Tijuana airport and usually you don't have to get off the bus when going into Mexico, but you do have to disembark the bus to go thru US customs at the border when leaving Tijuana to go into the USA.

I go to La Paz six times a year departing from Orange County, California. I wait for deals on Volaris airlines (average cost for a RT ticket approx. $175 USD plus or minus $75 USD), then get a round trip Greyhound bus ticket (Oceanside, CA to/from TIJ) for $22 USD. Total average cost for transportation per trip all under $200 USD.

Beats the heck out of taking airlines out of John Wayne airport or LAX by multiples.

You do have to analyze the bus schedules closely and select boarding times that leave ample time to get to the TIJ in time to check-in.

Also, be mindful that if you are returning from your trip on a Saturday or Sunday, be advised that the buses leaving the US side of the border back to Orange County, CA stop running in the early evening until the next morning. If the bus has to wait a long time before it can unload you to go thru US customs (during times of high vehicle crossing volumes, such as on weekends, especially during the summer months) and your arrival time at TIJ is in the mid to late afternoon, you could run into a timing problem getting the bus to take you from the US side of the border back to Orange County.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2014 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
So, I notice that the Volaris site says they have a shuttle back to the US locations. So, everyone walks across, northbound, the bus is inspected and waits in the secondary inspection area for everyone to clear US customs? And then everyone reloads back onto the bus?

We picked up the Volaris shuttle van from the TJ airport and it dropped us off just shy of the Otay Mesa pedestrian crossing. We walked thru the US border check, and walked another couple blocks where a different van picked us up and delivered to Santa Fe station. This is the link where their can be problems as I mentioned. It's a different van that picks you up on the US side.

Entering Mexico on the way to TJ airport, the shuttle van dropped us off, we walked through the Mexican border, and the same van picked us up and took us to the airport.

Volaris shuttle service is contracted out to a charter service- "Something entertainment", and communication can be lacking when returning from the TJ airport back to the US because of the change in vehicles at the border.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2014 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Quote:

We picked up the Volaris shuttle van from the TJ airport and it dropped us off just shy of the Otay Mesa pedestrian crossing. We walked thru the US border check, and walked another couple blocks where a different van picked us up and delivered to Santa Fe station. This is the link where their can be problems as I mentioned. It's a different van that picks you up on the US side.

Entering Mexico on the way to TJ airport, the shuttle van dropped us off, we walked through the Mexican border, and the same van picked us up and took us to the airport.

Volaris shuttle service is contracted out to a charter service- "Something entertainment", and communication can be lacking when returning from the TJ airport back to the US because of the change in vehicles at the border.

This has been my experience as well. Same bus/van on the way south, different bus/van on the way north because of the wait.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.