BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Escalera Nautica Norte???
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 05:31 PM
Escalera Nautica Norte???

Just read a short article in the L.A. Times:

"National City: Port Approves Lease to Build 250-Slip Marina.

"The Unified Port of San Diego's Board of Port Commissioners has approved a 40-year lease allowing construction of a 250-slip marina in National City.

"The development will include a two-story office building, delicatessen, two shower-locker buildings and 200 parking spaces. The estimated $7-million project will be next to Pepper Park."
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 10:16 PM
Market study a little different in San Diego

Mike------I believe that the demand for boat slips in San Diego has vastly outstripped the available existing ones there. Thus, approval of this new project.

Somewhat different than the unproven projected pie-in-the-sky predictions for the project in Baja CA.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 12:50 AM
Barry,

No scientific study on my end. I just thought it was interesting on several fronts:

1. So many of us world rather see Baja not have the Escalera Nautica, but when it comes to the southland it's a good deal.

2. I wonder if the demonstration of the U.S. building another marina will encourage Escalera Nautica promoters.

While I personally don't enjoy the fact that Mexico wants to turn Baja into a tourist haven, I think, if it was handled right (not likely), it could benefit those who live there in terms of employment and infrastructure, such as schools, medical care, and low income housing.

Mostly though, since I'm not a citizen, I just sit back and watch and hope for the best for our close neighbors.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 08:10 AM
Haven't seen too many

Whale sharks you can swim with, roosterfish, or breeding whales show much interest in National City!
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 09:19 AM

Much as I'd like to see Nautica Escalera built and Baja get prosperous I don't think the thing has the chance of full bottle of Pacifico in Alfy's cantina.

The Sea of Cortez...at least north of the Mid Riff...is a very treacherous place. In the Mid Riff Islands at the high tides twice a month 6 to 10 knot currents are common and "sink holes" can suck down a small trawler. Further, that 22 foot range of tide in the North Cortez is something that yer basic Cal 25 driver from New Port Beach ain't gonna relate to successfully. Then there are winds in the winter and spring that blow at 25-40 knots out of the West and North about three days out of ten.

If a Gringo boater and his family set out from one of the steps of the Escalera..say from Papa Fernandez where a big one is contemplated...that guy is gonna be in some kind of trouble within a day or so....outa gas, hung up on a rock that was under 25 feet of water when they sacked out whilst bagged on deck last night, unable to maintain headway in a wind or a big tide. etc. etc. The Mexicans have not talked about backing up the Escalera with a Coast Guard and rescue service. Also, as everyone knows, they have 100% propensity to run out gas on holliday week ends. The steps of the Escalera, if they are outa gas on Labor Day, will be totally useless.....less than useless.

I think the mortality rate among the first users of the Escalera....if they are Southern California Yacht drivers.... is gonna be something like 20%. I also think that the first users will (would) go home and never return and that they would advise everyone else at the Yacht club to stay home too.

Just building the thing ain't gonna produce the success contemplated...there are gonna have to be a whole bunch of services and facilities to back it up that will cost a lot more than the revenue the Escalera will (would) produce at least in the first xxx years.

I don't think the thing will ever happen and, if it did, I think it would produce some tragedies for boaters and Mexican dreamers alike.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 09:25 AM
Artificial reefs

are a good thing !:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.